Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 05:22 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,173,765 times

Advertisements

Unlike CA, your lane choices is different.
http://www.1stclassds.com/Minnesota_drivers_manual.pdf

Turns
Improper turns cause many traffic crashes. Move safely into the correct lane well ahead of the place where you will make the actual turn.
• Slow down before making turns. Signal your intent, at least 100feet before the turn. Signals let pedestrians and drivers know what you plan to do.
• While waiting to turn, keep your wheels straight
and your foot on the brake. If your vehicle is struck from the rear,
you will be less likely to be pushed into oncoming traffic.

Left Turns Right Turns

Left turn:
After checking traffic behind you
and signaling your intent, move into the lane
closest to the center line. If there are no lines
marking the lanes, move your vehicle to the
right of the center of the road. Look right
and left before starting the turn. Yield right
of way, if necessary. Turn the steering wheel
hand-over-hand, and complete the turn in
the first lane right of the center line.

Right turn:

After checking traffic behind
you and signaling your intent, move close
to the right curb. Look right and left before
beginning the turn. Yield right of way, if
necessary. Turn the steering wheel handover-
hand, and complete the turn in the
lane next to the curb.

You must know how to perform each of these turns.

From a one-way road onto a one-way road

Multiple turn lanes

Two approaching left turns

From a one-way road onto a two-way road

From two-way road onto a one-way road
Multiple turn lanes:
If there are signs or lane markings that allow for
two or more
turning lanes, stay in your lane during the turn.
• Continue signaling until you begin your turn.
• Do not make sudden turns from the wrong lane of t
raffic.
• Watch for traffic or obstacles in the road you pl
an to enter.

• Always finish your turn in the correct lane.
• If the car ahead of you is signaling for a left turn, slow down
and prepare to stop.
• When waiting to make a left turn at a green traffic light with
oncoming traffic, position the car into the intersection where your
body appears even with the curb line. The only opportunity to make
a left turn may occur when the green light changes
to yellow.

Turning on a Red Light

Right Turn
At many intersections, you may make a right turn while the traffic light
is red. Make sure you are in the correct lane and come to a complete
stop. “No Turn on Red” signs are posted where these
turns are not allowed. Check traffic in all directions to make su
re your path is clear. Watch for oncoming cars making left turns in front
of you. Sometimes oncoming traffic will have a green arrow before your light turns green.

Left Turn

If certain conditions are met, you may make a left
turn from a one-way street onto another one-way street while the traffic light is red.
Before turning, you must first come to a complete stop, make sure the
intersection is clear, and yield to any pedestrians
or vehicles. Traffic must be permitted to travel in the direction in which you are turning.
When turning on a red light:
• Yield to traffic and pedestrians.
• When a “No Turn on Red” sign is posted at an intersection, you
must wait until the light is green to make
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 05:24 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,675,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
When States which have the right turn on red law. Who has the right of way if you have looked both ways and are safe as light changes and opposing traffic has left turn green. Those turning right have no way of knowing this.

Then don't turn. There's no law that you MUST turn right on red--just a law that you stop.

Oncoming, left turning traffic on a "protected green" (aka green arrow) always has the right of way in that situation. You need to STOP, analyze the situation, and if oncoming traffic has the arrow (as evidenced by oncoming traffic turning while you have the red), you don't move.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:03 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Those people are right. You are wrong. In most states anyway.
That is not the same situation she was talking about. Look at the pic you posted. Suppose the yellow car was in the right lane and turning right instead of left, and turning at the same time as the red/orange car. Do you think both cars can/should turn at the same time? That was her question. The Blue car is irrelevant to what she was talking about.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:41 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,033,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
That is not the same situation she was talking about. Look at the pic you posted. Suppose the yellow car was in the right lane and turning right instead of left, and turning at the same time as the red/orange car. Do you think both cars can/should turn at the same time? That was her question. The Blue car is irrelevant to what she was talking about.
Yes, that is possible. The yellow car could turn into the right lane at the exact same time the red car could turn into the left lane. I'm involved in situations like that everyday, and have never had a problem. Though I do it with great caution, and I'm always fully prepared that the other vehicle could swing wide into my lane.

What she said was, "It appears some drivers think that one of those lanes belongs to people turning left and one to people turning right. In actuality, the person turning right has the right of way into either of those two lanes."

The statement is simply not correct. One of the lanes does in fact belong to the vehicle turning left. The right turning vehicle has no right to the left lane, under any circumstances. They must turn into the right lane only. Which means that the left turning vehicle has the right-a-way in the left lane. If the two cars collide in the left lane, the accident will be 100% the fault of the right turning vehicle, for making an improper right turn into the wrong lane.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:42 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,675,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
When I lived in Minnesota, you could turn LEFT on a red light if no traffic was coming, and if you were turning from a one-way street onto another one-way street. (1976-1982).

Is it still that way in that state?
I've never even heard of a legal left turn on red in any state except if both streets are a one way.

You DO NOT turn left on red if either street is a two way.

I started driving in Minnesota in 1990.

For a legal left turn on red, both streets must be a one way, and obviously, you must stop first and yield to traffic and pedestrians.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:30 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Yes, that is possible. The yellow car could turn into the right lane at the exact same time the red car could turn into the left lane. I'm involved in situations like that everyday, and have never had a problem. Though I do it with great caution, and I'm always fully prepared that the other vehicle could swing wide into my lane.

What she said was, "It appears some drivers think that one of those lanes belongs to people turning left and one to people turning right. In actuality, the person turning right has the right of way into either of those two lanes."

The statement is simply not correct. One of the lanes does in fact belong to the vehicle turning left. The right turning vehicle has no right to the left lane, under any circumstances. They must turn into the right lane only. Which means that the left turning vehicle has the right-a-way in the left lane. If the two cars collide in the left lane, the accident will be 100% the fault of the right turning vehicle, for making an improper right turn into the wrong lane.
The first part can be done, but I don't like it, and won't do it, but, yeah it's legal I guess.

The second part we agree on. However, when I try to do the right thing, the guy behind me will take the other lane. If I need to make a left right after a right, I just go for the left lane.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:18 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,480,950 times
According to Georgia's handbook.

How To Make A Right Turn
Using appropriate signals, and giving drivers ahead of and behind you
adequate notice, indicate a right turn.
Approach the intersection in the right lane, staying as close as practicable to
the curb or edge of the roadway.
If there is a bicycle lane on the road on which you are traveling, you must yield
to bicyclists traveling straight through the intersection before making a right
turn.
Make the turn in such a way as to end up in the right lane of the street into
which you have turned and avoid entering any other lane of traffic. If there
are multiple turning lanes on the street you are turning from, complete the turn
so that your vehicle ends up in the corresponding lane on the street you are
turning onto.

How To Make A Left Turn
Using appropriate signals, and giving drivers ahead of and behind you
adequate notice, activate your left turn signal.
Move into the far left lane of the direction in which you are traveling, or into the
turning lane if one is provided.
Keep your wheels straight until you begin making the turn.
Yield the right-of-way to all vehicles, including bicycles, which are approaching
from the opposite direction or pedestrians crossing either roadway.
When safe to do so, and when traffic signals/signs permit, make your turn
so that your vehicle ends up in the lane closest to the center lanes(s) in your
direction of traffic on the street you turned onto.
If there are multiple turning lanes on the street you are turning from, complete
the turn so that your vehicle ends up in the corresponding lane on the street
you are turning onto.
Once you have entered an intersection to make a left turn, you cannot change
lanes in the intersection.
You must stop and remain stopped for any pedestrians in the crosswalk of the
road you are turning onto until they have cleared the lanes of traffic that you
are traveling on.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:45 PM

2 posts, read 3,139 times
The person who has the green light obviously has the right of way. You don't need to know if the opposing traffic has a green light or not, it's common sense. You look to see if there are people moving to make the turn. If not, you can go. This happened to me today. I had a green arrow and some idiot turned on red when I was turning, and I had to swerve to avoid hitting her.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:30 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,504,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
When States which have the right turn on red law. Who has the right of way if you have looked both ways and are safe as light changes and opposing traffic has left turn green. Those turning right have no way of knowing this.
I see this everyday. of course green turn signal has right of way. What we are supposed to in this kind of situation hold right there if we can and usually it is possible. What I see most of the time is this - right turner will start and then brake realizing left turners have just begun (and of course they have light that's why they are doing it) and then quickly speed up and complete right turn as right turners know left turners are still a bit away. Don't do this.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:49 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
You stop as always and judge the scene, watching the cross traffic lights to see when they turn red. .
I think the OP is talking about a situation (very common) in which a driver cannot see the signal that regulates cross traffic, because the device faces in only one direction.. That would obviously be the case in the situation he described, in which the vehicle with the green arrow is coming from the opposite direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive