Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 10:14 PM

1,502 posts, read 2,669,205 times

Advertisements

So where I live in Virginia, about 90% of people will hog the left lane and not move. They will slow down and do exactly 65 or a bit less and the person in the middle lane will often play that game too.

I notice that this generates quite a bit of tailgating. However, the way that people tailgate here is out of control. I think that it may have something to do with Virginia's traffic laws being overly strict and just about everything being deemed reckless driving here.

Here is what happens:

Person A hogs up the left lane and does the exact speed limit or below the speed limit even when it is clear in front of them.

Person B tailgates person A but hits their brakes every few seconds.

Not sure if person B is trying to avoid an accident or just keeps coming up to person A's bumper to try and intimidate them then hits their brakes when they find that they won't move out of the way.

If you are stuck behind all of this mess in the left lane it is really difficult to keep a steady pace without having to hit your brakes as well (even if you are not following too closely).

Finally, once Person B gets a break in traffic, they turn into the next lane almost smacking into person A's rear bumper.

This sort of reminds me of the no depth perception thread. To me, the lane change by almost missing the other person's rear bumper is willful activity not depth perception issues.

This is the only State that I see the almost take off your back bumper as you turn activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 11:04 PM

777 posts, read 1,062,662 times
Happens here quite often. One tactic I use is slowing down putting a bit of distance between myself and the lane hogger then speeding up right on their rear end revving my engine, they usually get the message.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:11 PM

1,502 posts, read 2,669,205 times
Lol! Do you keep hitting your brakes if they don't move though?

What kind of car do you drive where they can actually hear you? I know that they would hear my Galant VR-4 with open cutout, but I am not that confrontational because if I were to get into a confrontation I am in it to win it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxyman View Post
Happens here quite often. One tactic I use is slowing down putting a bit of distance between myself and the lane hogger then speeding up right on their rear end revving my engine, they usually get the message.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
You mean people 'down-under' look in their mirrors!!! Or do you have REALLY loud pipes.?

I use bumper mounted rocket launchers.

My friend sells decals for your windshield >>>>>MOVE-OVER >>>>

Old 03-31-2013, 07:46 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,173,765 times
So at 75 mph your disengaging the drive line and reeving it.
and you think I'll hear it, hahaha
as soon as you did you would be left behind.

I'd be laughing my a-ss off if I noticed the car behind me doing this.
and I'd take my time moving over aggression is not condoned nor will I be intimidated.

Quote:

Old 03-31-2013, 07:53 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,935,344 times
I installed a cow pusher on the front of my car, with the mini-gun option of course, just in case.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:05 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,173,765 times
I found that with my Vee plow, it's easer to move them to the side so I can pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I installed a cow pusher on the front of my car, with the mini-gun option of course, just in case.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:45 AM

8,069 posts, read 12,787,809 times
Quote:
Look, it's Mad Max!

Old 03-31-2013, 08:50 AM

19,132 posts, read 25,341,241 times
My "better way" is to ride in the right lane most of the time.
Because so few people seem to want to stay to the right, I almost always find that there is nobody tailgating me and--even better--there is nobody impeding me in the front, thus allowing me to go faster than most of the folks in the center and left lanes.

For those who are of the belief that it is illegal to pass on the right, I suggest that you double-check the MV statutes in your state. In my state, and in others with which I am familiar, it is most definitely legal to pass on the right on a multi-lane highway, as long as you are in a lane and not on the shoulder of the road.

By staying alert to traffic entering the highway, I can almost always execute a smooth "complimentary lane change" to the center lane, so that merging traffic can enter the right lane. Then, when it is safe to do so, I usually move back to the right lane, which I refer to as, "my personal passing lane".

Of course, I wouldn't have to do what I do if there weren't so many doofuses riding parallel to each other in the left & center lanes. I would prefer to be able to pass on the left, but--given the reality of what I experience on the road daily--I have had to make the right lane my usual travel/passing lane.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:57 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,141,307 times
Here in Nova there are many left exits on main highways. This can and does cause issues when slower drivers must move to the left lane to exit and that means one must slow down to exit. Is this an issue the op maybe experiencing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive