Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should all vehicles be built with backup cameras?
Yes 40 35.71%
No 72 64.29%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 04:59 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Only if you suck at life. Ever see a truck driver "look behind" him when back a 53' ft trailer into a space with 3" of extra room on each side??. They use the mirrors in front/ to the side of them. With a dash mounted display for a back up cam its like a 4th rear view mirror basically.

Now.. raising the price is actually more of the real point though. It really basically is a favor from the govtvto auto makers for more $$$$. Just like so many other govt subsidy or jobs program.. just like our overinflatted military budget that really is just a jobs program to keep are artificial economy rolling..

Backup cams as option. Great!.. as mandatory... meehh..
Not really. Once you know how to backup a trailer, or a double or triple trailer, you are so used to the mirrors that using a camera is a new learning experience. Now you have to adjust your mind to see things the opposite way than what you have learned in the past. I used to drive doubles and triples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 08:10 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,625,580 times
The market seems to be deciding. They're showing up as options on a lot of cars, and they seem to be a popular option too.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:18 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,224,222 times
No. Once again, lawmakers are clearly lack the intelligence to come up with efficient ideas or "solutions". Its pretty impractical to implement a camera system and more importantly the monitor that has to be fitted into the dash. A practical solution is a simple sensor that increases its tone beep frequency as the rear of the car approaches an object. They can easily be set up to scan the entire width of the rear of the vehicle and is only active, obviously, when in reverse.

Or how about we do the right thing and fix the root cause? Imagine that!!! The premise of this whole situation is totally preventable. If you know how to properly drive and if people knew how to WATCH THEIR KIDS this wouldn't be an issue.

Just another knee-jerk reaction that costs money and is likely not to succeed. Doesn't surprise me that so many of you voted 'yes'.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:32 AM

297 posts, read 512,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
You're completely missing the point. NOTHING is a guarantee and a backup camera isn't proclaiming to be one. So yes, even if a vehicle had one, a child could still get run over.

Newsflash... the child would still get run over WITHOUT the camera too.

Mandating the camera is about saving MORE lives, not all of them. Do people still die in car wrecks even though they are wearing their seatbelt? Of course. Do people still die even though they have front and side airbags? Yep. Are people safer for having those things in their car? YES.

It's already been established that mandating the rear camera would be incredibly cheap for auto manufacturers to install. So for something that is cost negligible, there would be less child fatalities per year. That's what you call WIN-WIN.

I think the majority of people who are against the idea 1. either think it's going to price people out of being able to buy cars 2. just can't stand the government telling them one more thing they have to have, no matter if its a good idea or not, or 3. think that because THEY have such superior driving skills and have never backed into anything, that everyone else shouldn't have need of a camera either.

No. I didn't miss the point.

Point is that even with backup cameras people will get VERY lax and "assume" all is safe because they have a backup camera and they will forget to actually turn their heads and look, check their mirrors, etc. I have backup cameras on 2 of my vehicles. I don't really use them. I do it the old fashioned way that is tried and true, I simply LOOK. I turn my head, check my mirrors all while I'm backing up and keep checking until finished. Not a quick look and gun it like most people seem to do. If they even look. When we have masses of people driving that don't even bother to look before they backup then having a backup camera in these peoples cars is not going to save one life.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:48 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
No. I didn't miss the point.

Point is that even with backup cameras people will get VERY lax and "assume" all is safe because they have a backup camera and they will forget to actually turn their heads and look, check their mirrors, etc. I have backup cameras on 2 of my vehicles. I don't really use them. I do it the old fashioned way that is tried and true, I simply LOOK. I turn my head, check my mirrors all while I'm backing up and keep checking until finished. Not a quick look and gun it like most people seem to do. If they even look. When we have masses of people driving that don't even bother to look before they backup then having a backup camera in these peoples cars is not going to save one life.
Yes, you did. You "assume" people are going to stop looking. I don't. I use it in tandem with my mirrors. You're also neglecting the fact that mirrors can't see everything directly behind a car, while a camera mounted where the rear license plate is can.

You can continue to look all you want. You still won't have as good a vision as someone who looks AND has a camera.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:52 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Its pretty impractical to implement a camera system and more importantly the monitor that has to be fitted into the dash. A practical solution is a simple sensor that increases its tone beep frequency as the rear of the car approaches an object. They can easily be set up to scan the entire width of the rear of the vehicle and is only active, obviously, when in reverse.
The monitor is already there, even in cheap cars nowadays. It's part of the stereo.

LOL So you're against cameras, but you're for a sensor that scans the area behind the vehicle. Most vehicles I know that have a backup camera also have park assist, which is what you're describing, and they work in tandem.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:01 AM

3,703 posts, read 4,852,685 times
No. It's just another gadget that people will become dependent on, much like GPS. However, in this case it can be dangerous. I can see it being useful for taking a quick glance before backing up but really, one can do that before getting in their car anyway. Who needs an expensive piece of electronics to tell you something your own eyes should have seen anyway before getting in? I can see people just looking at a screen and backing right up, totally oblivious to any car that might be moving quickly into your path. Or won't see that kid running either because he is out of the view of the screen. After all, isn't there a reason for testing your peripheral vision when taking your eye test to get or renew your license? How can one have any idea what is moving into your path if looking forward at a little screen on the dash?

Old 04-13-2013, 11:12 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,224,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
The monitor is already there, even in cheap cars nowadays. It's part of the stereo.

LOL So you're against cameras, but you're for a sensor that scans the area behind the vehicle. Most vehicles I know that have a backup camera also have park assist, which is what you're describing, and they work in tandem.
Let me be clear. I'm not for any legislation regarding backup systems at all. A sensor that "scans" is a simply proximity sensor, no cameras or screens needed.

You fail to see the long term implications of this legislation. The cameras and screens will need to be maintained throughout the life of the vehicle, they would be considered a safety feature, will need to be in proper working order and will be a part of the safety inspection process for those states who have it. Also, this will serve as precedent for more ridiculous safety feature legislation in the future. Again... this does not solve the root cause of people being negligent. Instead of encouraging awareness and proper driving we bandaid the problem.

If you don't want your children run over, keep track of where they are. If you don't want to run over children, keep track of where you are driving.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:26 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
The market seems to be deciding. They're showing up as options on a lot of cars, and they seem to be a popular option too.
The popularity of an option is not driven by the buyere, but by the seller. The car lot is full of cars, with a variety of options, they come that way from the factory, and that is not reflective of what options the buyers want to buy, but what the sellers want to sell. You buy the car you like, and there won't be one with exactly the options you want. Can you say that everybody wants $500 keys with chips, based on the fact that every car has $500 keys with chips?

It is very unlikely that any feature built into any product is there because of market demand. Start with bloatware in your computer, and go from there, and pretty soon you arrive at bloatware in new cars. The fact that you cannot get one without bloatware has nothing to do with the market deciding anything.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-13-2013 at 11:48 AM..

Old 04-13-2013, 11:57 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,083,948 times
I voted no. The last thing we need is another thing to go wrong with the vehicle, additional cost and most importantly, putting driving in the hands of technology instead of awareness and driving fundamentals.

If you really can't do the fundamentals, is driving really for you?

And I don't want to hear "it's for the children" mantra because we've gone how many years without backup cameras?

Here's an idea: stop talking, texting, adjusting your radio and just pay attention to your surroundings while you're driving. How does that sound?

This, along with the automatic parking, automatic headlights and automatic windshield wipers are just more steps into stupidity. Do we even drive anymore?

I'm so tired of a few people wanting to impose additional things onto the majority because a small minority just can't get right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive