Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 07:10 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
What about the Hondas made in the U.S? Are they "poorly engineered?"
Of course not. I should have further clarified my post to say that just domestic marque cars are poorly produced and engineered.

Most of my old Civics were made in Canada and are doing just fine 13+ years later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 11:13 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,478,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Classic? Yes. Reliable? Not really. Sexy? Cobras are, GTs are iffy, base V-6 models are atrocious. Fuel efficient? Compared to what? An Excursion? Yes. Compared to a Prius? No.

And most Japanese models are built here in the states, by AMERICAN workers, while GM and Ford have many models built in Mexico, Canada, China, etc.
OK........Tell me all about how 'atrocious' this dude's car looks.

http://home.graffiti.net/spartanvi:graffiti.net/epona1.jpg (broken link)

IMO, this:

and this:

remind me of the cars the animals in those 'Richard Scarry' stories drive.

But you are definitely entitled to your opinion of what looks good and what doesn't.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:24 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,401,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Buy domestic and support all the overpaid union workers and reward the domestic factories for making poorly engineered cars that don't age very well.

My Civics last for as long as I want to own them, one car has 370K miles on it, all have over 100K on their odometers. All my cars are paid for, and with the money I don't spend on car payments, I can buy other American products.
Miu,

What are you doing with a driveway full of old civics? Do you want to rent one to me?

Greenie

Old 11-04-2007, 02:36 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Of course not. I should have further clarified my post to say that just domestic marque cars are poorly produced and engineered.
Then why have many models of recent (within the last 5 years) Mercedes, Audi, BMW and VW been very trouble-prone? I guess those must be "poorly produced and engineered!" I'll take an American car over those things any day.

Quote:
Most of my old Civics were made in Canada and are doing just fine 13+ years later
My old Cadillacs were made in the U.S.A. and are doing just fine 30+ years later! (Original [non-rebuilt] engines and transmissions.)

Old 11-04-2007, 03:25 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
CIVIC!!! I LOVE MY HONDA CIVIC!! It is SOOOOOOO reliable, even though I make six figures... I love my honda civic (its a DX base model too). It is very responsive to my turns and has NEVER disappointed me. Don't get me wrong, I have other expensive luxury cars too but I enjoy my Civic (perhaps, because I grew up with it for ten years - i have an emotional attachment to it). I also still enjoy driving it.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:02 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Then why have many models of recent (within the last 5 years) Mercedes, Audi, BMW and VW been very trouble-prone? I guess those must be "poorly produced and engineered!" I'll take an American car over those things any day.
I was responding more to the concern that buying Japanese cars was detrimental to the US economy. I do like the Mercedes 190E and the E30 BMW's, but my Civics will always be my main love.

As to poorly made American cars, well the Tauruses, Cavaliers and Caravans that my friends have owned have never aged well.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:41 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
I was responding more to the concern that buying Japanese cars was detrimental to the US economy. I do like the Mercedes 190E and the E30 BMW's, but my Civics will always be my main love.
I don't like any 'em!

Quote:
As to poorly made American cars, well the Tauruses, Cavaliers and Caravans that my friends have owned have never aged well.
And there are people who have owned those and have aged well. Using friend's experiences to make a blanket statement isn't very accurate.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:38 AM

281 posts, read 1,379,747 times
Quote:
I drove a lot of different cars from very different manufacturers, and most of them had something that I liked about (yes - also american cars that I liked). Sometimes I wonder about people bashing cars that they don't know at all.

And I wonder even more about some peoples profound aversion to foreign car makers for whatever reason. But well, it is your money.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:33 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
OK here is another vote for the Civic. Jetta may be a good option as well.

But a Mustang? Why a mustang? That isn't really comparable to the other two. The problem with a Mustang in the V6 form is that it is underpowered, not sporty at all (except in styling),too heavy, and has that cheap plastic interior. It's just too slow for a V6 and it's like an oddball in your selection because it does not compete with the Civic or Jetta.

A V-8 Mustang may be fun however, but no I would never recommend the V-6 Mustang.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:01 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
OK........Tell me all about how 'atrocious' this dude's car looks.

http://home.graffiti.net/spartanvi:graffiti.net/epona1.jpg (broken link)
Ill give the nod to the styling, as an homage to the 60's Stangs, but thats about it. Ok, the wheels are ugly and the profile too big, no hood scoop, dorky wing, ugly white "Mustang" graphics on door (even if theyre traditional, theyre ugly), live axle, heavy curb weight. That car is like a Harley, all show and no go. But the worst thing about that car? No V-8. Pony cars should NEVER have V6 options, thats just wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive