Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 12:53 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM_W&M06 View Post
Thanks for the comments

I've already let myself down once by not knowing manual: My boss and I were on a business trip in PA and he actually expected we would split the driving in his BOXSTER S! It pained me to tell him I didn't know how and of course that would not have been the vehicle for me to learn on, he said when I do know the offer still stands...but I'm still kicking myself to this day!
Ha, LOL if I still owned a Porsche (I had a 1987 911S) there is no way I would let someone else drive it if they didn't know how. No offense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 12:57 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,512,981 times
Cracks me up when I read about carjackers that try to take someone's car only to discover its a stick shift and they can't steal it (since they don't know how to use one).

Old 07-10-2013, 01:11 PM

304 posts, read 1,019,361 times
Thanks everyone for your comments/suggestions.

I don't really have the driveway/garage space to keep a cheap beater to practice on, maybe I'll ask the dealer if/when I ever test drive a Challenger.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:14 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for your comments/suggestions.

I don't really have the driveway/garage space to keep a cheap beater to practice on, maybe I'll ask the dealer if/when I ever test drive a Challenger.
Everything I've read indicated the Challenger is faster/better with an automatic. It's also not the kind of light, tossable car that really benefits from a manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Are there driving schools that do this? I wouldn't think there would be much of a market for it. Besides truck driving school that is. Then you can learn to shift 18 speeds in a humungous vehicle that bends in the middle.

Come to think of it I am the only person I know in the US who owns a manual transmission vehicle. Relatives back in Europe mostly have them but they are pretty rare here.

Also these days I would hesitate to teach someone to drive one on one of my own vehicles...
Yes - my wife didn't want to learn on my car so she paid for a lesson.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:19 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Everything I've read indicated the Challenger is faster/better with an automatic. It's also not the kind of light, tossable car that really benefits from a manual.
"Better" is subjective... my Challenger R/T is a manual. HP is slightly higher with a MT and the fun factor is better too.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:20 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
These days the automatics are becoming kings of speed and efficiency over the manuals. The near universal adaption of 6-speed automatics tied it up, but with the 8+ speed auto's becoming more and more common, there is almost zero benefit to a manual (probably a deficit) except for the sheer enjoyment driving one gives you.

Quote:
Also on the lesson thing, IMO, it's easier to learn on a larger, heavier car with a large V6 or V8 than it is to learn on something like a Honda Civic. The heavier flywheels and clutches on the larger cars, makes them much more forgiving. So, it's easier to learn on something like a Mustang than it is to learn on something like a Fiesta. It seems counter-intuitive, but its true.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:21 PM

304 posts, read 1,019,361 times
Quote:
Interesting, I guess I'd have to test both the auto and stick versions to be sure

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, about how much did said lesson run?

Old 07-10-2013, 01:24 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
Quote:
Interesting, I guess I'd have to test both the auto and stick versions to be sure

If you don't mind me asking, about how much did said lesson run?
IIRC it was somewhere in the $150-$200 range.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:36 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Cracks me up when I read about carjackers that try to take someone's car only to discover its a stick shift and they can't steal it (since they don't know how to use one).
I couldn't find the link to share....

But about two years ago a woman driving a newer Mustang was carjacked not far from where I live. The idiots (who probably didn't have licences and clearly lacked brains) made it a block before abandoning her car. It was a manual trans and they were too inept to figure it out, so she got her car back unharmed.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:53 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,480,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I couldn't find the link to share....

But about two years ago a woman driving a newer Mustang was carjacked not far from where I live. The idiots (who probably didn't have licences and clearly lacked brains) made it a block before abandoning her car. It was a manual trans and they were too inept to figure it out, so she got her car back unharmed.
Florida carjacking at gunpoint fails after man can’t drive stick shift | The Raw Story

and

Carjackers, unable to drive stick shift, fail to steal Corvette - U.S. News

The 2nd is one of my fav's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive