Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 06:38 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,476 times

Advertisements

My 98 Accord value package came with 13" steel wheels & tires and handled not so great. I swapped them out for Prelude wheels and it just handles better. It looks ricey to me, but I don't care what people think. It is just a commuter car, so if the mismatched wheels make it more enjoyable to drive so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 07:36 PM

6,559 posts, read 7,139,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
The nice thing about Ricers is that for very little money you can look REALLY cool !

Don

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!! That's hilarious!!!

Old 09-05-2013, 08:16 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I love hot rods and muscle cars, but ricers are really a joke. I have seen them lowered so bad that the back and front tires lean in with so much caster the tires are riding on only the inside edges. Those tires must last about 200 miles max.

Fart can exhaust is also the most annoying sound on earth, right behind nails on a chalkboard. And the drivers always feel they have to have their foot buried into the firewall so we can all enjoy the wonderful sounds of their 100hp motor. (and their 5,000 watt amplifiers)
I don't think they have the foot buried into the firewall for our listening pleasure; it's more likely that they have to keep the foot to the floor just to get the hunk of junk moving!

Old 09-05-2013, 08:30 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,861,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
But we all know each sticker gives you 5hp.
5? My stickers have been dyno-tested --- at 8hp each!!

Old 09-05-2013, 08:58 PM

307 posts, read 685,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post
Now that you mention it...do people only rice Japanese cars? I can't recall ever seeing a riced car that is of German or American make. If so, why?
I've seen a lot of Dodge Neons, Ford Focus, Audi a4, and BMW 3 series all tuned up. And the Infinity g35/g37 coupe.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:32 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,782,378 times
Quote:
I'm a male in my late-20's, and even though many of my peers are into the "ricing" scene, I simply cannot see the appeal. What makes ricing a car so desirable?
Good question, though I wouldn't say it makes it "desirable". You could probably chalk up the ricers to the ones who, back in 1973, were putting lift shackles on their leaf springs and Cherry Bombs under their otherwise stock 307 powered 1969 Camaro that mom just handed down to them....oh and let's not forget the curb feelers and the foot pedal accelerator....yeah way to make that 200 Hp V8 sound and look bad ass, but in reality you are posing...same as the ricers....

I can understand the youth wanting to fix up their car, and I can understand that FWD imports are plentiful and affordable, but then again I think some of these kids have watched TFATF one too many times. So now they think they can "live their life a quarter mile at a time"....or better net, they have officially called nitrous oxide "naaawwwsss"...

And it's not just Japanese cars that get riced....I've seen Neons, Cavaliers, Sunfires....also get riced. And I've even seen 1993-2002 Camaros as well as 1994-2004 Mustangs riced, too.

What gets me is what's with the Pep Boys aluminum wing on a FWD car....? Do these kids not understand how spoilers work? I mean....a FWD car....

The fart can is another tasteless touch....and sound....FFFFFAAAAARRRRRTTTTTTT!!!! Yeah just what I want to hear.

And when you bounce it off the rev limiter....FARTN-FARTN-FARTN-FARTN...

And I think you're right....I don't think too many chicks dig riced up cars. Well maybe their 12 year old sisters might.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:37 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
I'm a male in my late-20's, and even though many of my peers are into the "ricing" scene, I simply cannot see the appeal. What makes ricing a car so desirable? Was ricing popular even before Fast & the Furious (circa 2001)?
  • Most riced-up cars look classless with the super high spoilers, crazy paint colors, angled wheels, etc.
  • Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think women dig riced-up cars.
  • Let's be honest - a 1996 Civic still looks outdated, even if it is riced up.
  • Even nicer, newer cars that are riced up (e.g. a blacked out Acura TSX or Nissan Maxima)
  • I'd assume riced cars are targeted by cops.
  • I apologize for the stereotype, but ricers tend to be pretty obnoxious on the road (e.g. constant tail-gating) and the drivers look low-life'ish.

Don't get me wrong - to each their own. However, I never understood the culture.
I don't look down on that culture. The Asians are great car mechanics. It's amazing the HP they can get out of those 4 cylinder cars, I respect them.

I had some nice cars back in the day, my favorite was my '68 Dodge Charger/383 4bbl. Those guys are getting more HP out of those Civics than I had under the hood and they would blow my doors off in a race.

I think it's great that there are young people actually interested more in cars and HP than in Xbox and smartphones.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:04 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I don't look down on that culture. The Asians are great car mechanics. It's amazing the HP they can get out of those 4 cylinder cars, I respect them.

I had some nice cars back in the day, my favorite was my '68 Dodge Charger/383 4bbl. Those guys are getting more HP out of those Civics than I had under the hood and they would blow my doors off in a race.

I think it's great that there are young people actually interested more in cars and HP than in Xbox and smartphones.
A few points:

- The 383 engine can also be built to make a lot of horsepower (and with relatively low stress; they don't need to be wound out to 9,000 rpm to make power!). It can be bored out to at least 438 cu. in. and 500+ horsepower (without a turbo or supercharger).

- The '68 Charger looks like and is a muscle car; a Honda Civic looks like a bland econobox.

- '68 Chargers in #1 and #2 condition are worth a lot and will always be worth a lot.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:39 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Good question, though I wouldn't say it makes it "desirable". You could probably chalk up the ricers to the ones who, back in 1973, were putting lift shackles on their leaf springs and Cherry Bombs under their otherwise stock 307 powered 1969 Camaro that mom just handed down to them....oh and let's not forget the curb feelers and the foot pedal accelerator....yeah way to make that 200 Hp V8 sound and look bad ass, but in reality you are posing...same as the ricers....
guilty as charged here... and i'd bet i'm not the only one from the older gen who maybe put on Thrush or glasspack mufflers on cars that didnt need them. Or a wee bit more air in the shocks then was required (or likely safe). Flip the lid on a 2bbl to give it more "air" sound? Yep another dumb attempt to be cool in the 70's.

Now seeing a civic with an erector set wing or those rear tires at a 30 degree angle with the fart can rubbing the pavement, is just as bad as overly obnoxious exhaust and lift on a truck that one never sees any dirt on it, or watching some dumas peel out of a car show parking lot in his beater 90's mustang, while those with real muscle just shake their heads......and so on.

Give props to those who build the cars the right way, and just hope the rest sometime grow up.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:56 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,250,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
A few points:

- The 383 engine can also be built to make a lot of horsepower (and with relatively low stress; they don't need to be wound out to 9,000 rpm to make power!). It can be bored out to at least 438 cu. in. and 500+ horsepower (without a turbo or supercharger).
A B series Honda can make a lot of power to, whats your point? There is no stress in taking it to 8200 RPM's either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive