Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2013, 03:01 PM

109 posts, read 156,910 times

Advertisements

The "appeal" differs from person to person.
One popular reason for ricing a car is if you're 16 and you inherit a mod-able car like the Civic. Then the rich white punk who goes to your school gets a new Camaro for his first car, and he's got all the chicks wanting to go for a ride in it. So to compete, you rice your parents' old Civic, race the Camaro kid, kick his a$$, and next thing you know you're the guy taking chicks for rides. That was how the whole thing started, anyways.
Other people do it as a from of self-expression. This is actually the motive behind most types of car customization. If your car is riced, that's one thing, but the exterior custom stuff gives guys a way to express their tastes and personality.
Some people even might be into street racing. Believe it or not, the stuff you see in Fast & Furious isn't entirely unrealistic. If you live in SoCal or Miami, you'll know that street racing is very real and that ricers are a big part of it.
I'm 15 right now, and I recently found out I'll be inheriting my grandfather's '97 Civic 4-door. I wanted to rice it, but my parents said no because there's a guy on our street with a riced up S13 and they get really annoyed by it and if my car were to sound like that then they'd be super annoyed with all the ricers on our street. The motivation for me was simply to get attention. Some guys play sports to get attention, some might be really good-looking, some might throw parties, etc. I don't do any of these things, but if I rolled up in a riced Civic with a cool paint job, some sick wheels, and a loud engine, that'd get me some attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 03:22 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,298,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Ricers? I couldn't care less what people do with their cars.
Good. Then maybe you will stop comparing them to real cars!

Quote:
But a Honda NSX vs. an old 'muscle' car on a nice twisty mountain road? Only one choice I see and it was made in Japan. I don't see the point of a car that goes if it doesn't also stop and turn except at a drag strip.
Right, as if everyone drives their cars on twisty roads every day.
I also don't see the point of a car that doesn't stop and turn except at a drag strip. Fortunately, those muscle cars could turn and stop (yes, even out on the road and on twisty mountain roads).

For example, the '71 Dodge Charger Super Bee with the 426-Hemi engine tested by Motor Trend (Dec., 1970) stopped from 60-0 mph in only 115.1 feet. A '71 Charger Super Bee with the 440-6 pack engine stopped from the same speed in 119.1 feet.

A '69 Lincoln, also tested by Motor Trend (April, 1969) stopped from 60-0 mph in 109.9 feet; that is probably a shorter stopping distance than 80% of new cars! (I have seen road tests of late-model cars and some take 120 or more feet to stop from 60-0 mph.)

Quote:
You questioned how many Hondas could lay down a strip of rubber. Power used spinning the tires is power NOT used accelerating the car so the point would be?
If you have to ask that question, you are not a muscle car fan! The point being that the classic muscle cars could burn rubber, and very well. I don't see the point in taking a curve at 60 or 70 mph, but I do know why many car fans burn rubber. It's practically a part of Americana!

Old 09-07-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
No it isn't a myth. Unless someone dumped money into a muscle car to make it a purpose built track car, they only did one thing well. Not that there is anything wrong with that. That's what they were built for.
Yes and no. Some did not handle well at all and some handled quite well. Some also braked quite well, as seen in my earlier post.

Here is an example:

//www.city-data.com/forum/9721082-post28.html

Old 09-07-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Those aren't "muscle cars" though and I am sure FLEET would put those cars in the same category as the Honda's. The point I am trying to make is, times change, cars change. What was fast 40 years ago is going to be different then what is fast 10 years ago or even now.
No, those 1980s cars were definitely not muscle cars!

Old 09-07-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Its no worse then your question of how many Honda's can lay a 100 ft strip of rubber. They are two different kinds of cars, built for two different times.
That's true.... one kind had loads of torque and the other kind didn't!

Quote:
If your Chargers were so great, why did they go away? Why did dodge and all other manufactures stop building them? If they were as great as you say they are, why couldn't Ford/Dodge/Chevy find ways to make that kinda power even with the new emission and safety laws?
You must not be familiar with classic muscle cars. What killed them was not because they were unpopular (they were popular), it was the fuel " crisis," the stricter emissions standards and the cost of insurance. By 1970-1971, it was getting very expensive to insure a muscle car. But as another poster already mentioned, they did not really go away... the Mustang, Camaro, Charger and Challenger are being built even now.

Last edited by Fleet; 09-07-2013 at 04:40 PM..

Old 09-07-2013, 04:01 PM

7,004 posts, read 4,811,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I must be leading a sheltered life but what is a 'donk' car?
LOL me too. I have no idea what "riced up" OR "donk" means.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:07 PM

17,604 posts, read 17,635,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightleopard654 View Post
The "appeal" differs from person to person.
One popular reason for ricing a car is if you're 16 and you inherit a mod-able car like the Civic. Then the rich white punk who goes to your school gets a new Camaro for his first car, and he's got all the chicks wanting to go for a ride in it. So to compete, you rice your parents' old Civic, race the Camaro kid, kick his a$$, and next thing you know you're the guy taking chicks for rides. That was how the whole thing started, anyways.
Other people do it as a from of self-expression. This is actually the motive behind most types of car customization. If your car is riced, that's one thing, but the exterior custom stuff gives guys a way to express their tastes and personality.
Some people even might be into street racing. Believe it or not, the stuff you see in Fast & Furious isn't entirely unrealistic. If you live in SoCal or Miami, you'll know that street racing is very real and that ricers are a big part of it.
I'm 15 right now, and I recently found out I'll be inheriting my grandfather's '97 Civic 4-door. I wanted to rice it, but my parents said no because there's a guy on our street with a riced up S13 and they get really annoyed by it and if my car were to sound like that then they'd be super annoyed with all the ricers on our street. The motivation for me was simply to get attention. Some guys play sports to get attention, some might be really good-looking, some might throw parties, etc. I don't do any of these things, but if I rolled up in a riced Civic with a cool paint job, some sick wheels, and a loud engine, that'd get me some attention.
Umm, most "chicks" don't care about whose car wins a race. If they care about the car a guy drives, it's to see who has the most money to spend on her needs and wants. I know those girls. Stay away from those girls. (Red Foreman!)

Old 09-07-2013, 05:09 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,967,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Yes and no. Some did not handle well at all and some handled quite well. Some also braked quite well, as seen in my earlier post.

Here is an example:

//www.city-data.com/forum/9721082-post28.html
Great...my point is that take comparable performance cars for the respectable times. Lets say a Hemi charger(just because you've mentioned it a few times) and say an evo, WRX/STi, SRT4, 1series BMW, etc. other than a straight line(and even with some of these cars, even that's not a sure thing), and the Charger gets circles ran around it. You can't honestly believe otherwise can you?

Old 09-07-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
Great...my point is that take comparable performance cars for the respectable times. Lets say a Hemi charger(just because you've mentioned it a few times) and say an evo, WRX/STi, SRT4, 1series BMW, etc. other than a straight line(and even with some of these cars, even that's not a sure thing), and the Charger gets circles ran around it. You can't honestly believe otherwise can you?
Different cars for different purposes. However, to say that all classic muscle cars couldn't handle or would have trouble on a twisty road is just not true.

Most muscle car fans of the '60s didn't care how they handled. If they did, they bought a Corvette or a pony car. And many would not want to be seen driving an EVO, or BMW or whatever.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:15 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,967,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Different cars for different purposes. However, to say that all classic muscle cars couldn't handle or would have trouble on a twisty road is just not true.

Most muscle car fans of the '60s didn't care how they handled. If they did, they bought a Corvette or a pony car. And many would not want to be seen driving an EVO, or BMW or whatever.
Of course they are for different purposes. This all started when I said I got away from muscle cars because I prefer a car that can do more than go fast in a straight line, and you then went on about how muscle cars could handle. Obviously, in those days, there were some muscle cars that did handle far better than other ones, but compared to today's cars, there is absolutely zero comparison. That's why you don't see as many young people interested in muscle cars because in most scenarios todays import performance cars are cheaper than old muscle, get better mileage, are more reliable, in some cases are faster in a straight line, and corner far better than a muscle car ever thought about.

Like I've said earlier, I'm not hating on muscle, as I've owned them, and been around them since age 16, but these are just facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive