Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does parking in a parking lot
I assume dings are the price of being in a public lot 16 26.67%
I don't assume dings are the price of being in a public lot 44 73.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 11:00 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,732,790 times

Advertisements

I just watched a mom slowly but surely open her back door into the car next to hers. She took care not to dent the other car but had no problems letting her door rest on the other car, so when the kids were getting out, the paint was getting scratched.

I always park away from other cars. It is a simple way to get some exercise and it keeps the car from getting beat up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 01:55 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,611,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
and twice getting the kids out the doors touch. I'm not talking a smack. . .at least the two events. Just that the door has to touch so you get the kids out.

"huh? whatever its a parking lot" The door came out and hit a raised jeeps side. I couldn't get the kid out of the back without touching.

I told him as I lifted a three year old that if he would like to prevent door dings I recommend he not park so close to the line.

He said something about being courteous and left.

have you been on either side of the drama?
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Wow... You are THAT guy every car person hates!! You are lucky, you haven't gotten what you deserve... I hope I never run into you!
No kidding!

Yes, OP, I've been on the side that got dinged by people like you.

About 8 years ago in my new car I was at Six Flags Atlanta... I had parked 1/4 mile out, on the other side of the parking lot... no cars in sight. After spending the day there I come out and there is a beat up clunker parked right next to my car and my car has a big ding and crease in the passenger rear fender!!!

I look at the back seat of the car and see a bunch of kids toys... so yeah, some kid flung his door open and dinged my brand new car.

I was irate. I took a Sharpie and wrote all over his vehicle something to the effect of "Watch your #*$& kids when they open doors!" Luckily the dent doctor fixed it for about $75 and it was not noticeable.

Now I'm in another new car that I've had for 5 months... I park in the middle of nowhere when I'm out and park in my garage at home. No major dings yet but I do have 3 very minor dimples from where someone's door touched mine and left a scuff. I buffed out the scuff so it's not noticeable but looking down the side of the car I can still see the dimple. Eventually I will get the dent doctor to pull them out... it's not a huge concern at the moment because you can't see them looking straight at the car.

Still, the whole thing is extremely annoying. To me nothing makes a car look more ugly than door dings... and what sucks is door dings are caused by SOMEONE ELSE!

I am paying $30,000 for a car and I take care of it... if you park next to me and don't watch what you or your kids are doing when you open your door you are right... I will be extremely mad if you hit my car.

There is no excuse for it... watch what you are doing when you are opening your doors and just because I park in a spot 50 ft away DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE TO PARK NEXT TO ME 6 INCHES FROM MY CAR!

It's called COMMON COURTESY!

Old 09-18-2013, 02:03 PM

20,771 posts, read 20,049,268 times
OP, I didn't buy a nice car so inconsiderate people like you can scratch the value of it away. Just reading your post gets my adrenaline up.

My car would look brandnew and pretty, if there wouldn't be some scratches and paint scratched off from people like you.

Holy cow.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:25 PM

358 posts, read 888,646 times
Do many people actually repair door dings? It only takes a day before the ding is back, and then what? Another week in the shop? A new ding a day later and another week in the shop?

When I drive my nice car, I always park away from any other cars, way away. I will parallel park or just not stop if I cannot park safely. I take pride in its finish, so I am willing to walk a ways to protect that finish. My daily car? I care not. Dings will happen, why get upset about them? They happen pretty much daily, who wants to spend every single day being upset. I have not dinged a car that I know of, but if I did, I would not give them cash. I would give them my insurance information and invite them to call the insurance company. I did have a gal accuse me of putting a door ding in her car and demand money. Problem is, she was on the passenger side of my car and I am always alone. My explanation to her meant nothing, she just kept demanding money. She said she would sue me and I told her "Good luck with that" and left. She probably waited for the next person to pull in so she could accuse them when they went to leave.

Seems kind of petty to me, sort of like people who pick out all the potato chips that have black spots on them and complain about them. Is someone really going to go around demanding payment for every door ding? they will be awfully busy.

What about when someone dings a previously dinged door. Do you charge them again? It could become a profit center.

Those of you who intentionally vandalize someone's car if they give you a door ding - you should know you can be prosecuted as a criminal for that. They cannot be prosecuted for dinging your car. Accidents are not criminal, but intentionally damaging someone's property is a crime. It sure does not seem worth getting a criminal record and potentially becoming unemployable over a door ding. You take all that risk, accomplish nothing, potentially mess up your life and then the next day you get three more door dings when you are not around. What do you do then? Choose a car at random to vandalize in revenge? Better to put on your big girl panties and face the fact that not all things in life will be as you want them to be. Take a deep breath, sit down for a cuppa, and think happy thoughts. Surely there are more important things in your life than door dings.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:42 PM

7,499 posts, read 6,295,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
The worst one I have, which I assume was from a shopping cart, came when I was parked way out in the hinterlands at a grocery store. You're never safe
Rule No. 1. Always park at the top of the hill.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:50 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,487,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanSWM View Post
Do many people actually repair door dings? It only takes a day before the ding is back, and then what? Another week in the shop? A new ding a day later and another week in the shop?

When I drive my nice car, I always park away from any other cars, way away. I will parallel park or just not stop if I cannot park safely. I take pride in its finish, so I am willing to walk a ways to protect that finish. My daily car? I care not. Dings will happen, why get upset about them? They happen pretty much daily, who wants to spend every single day being upset. I have not dinged a car that I know of, but if I did, I would not give them cash. I would give them my insurance information and invite them to call the insurance company. I did have a gal accuse me of putting a door ding in her car and demand money. Problem is, she was on the passenger side of my car and I am always alone. My explanation to her meant nothing, she just kept demanding money. She said she would sue me and I told her "Good luck with that" and left. She probably waited for the next person to pull in so she could accuse them when they went to leave.

Seems kind of petty to me, sort of like people who pick out all the potato chips that have black spots on them and complain about them. Is someone really going to go around demanding payment for every door ding? they will be awfully busy.

What about when someone dings a previously dinged door. Do you charge them again? It could become a profit center.

Those of you who intentionally vandalize someone's car if they give you a door ding - you should know you can be prosecuted as a criminal for that. They cannot be prosecuted for dinging your car. Accidents are not criminal, but intentionally damaging someone's property is a crime. It sure does not seem worth getting a criminal record and potentially becoming unemployable over a door ding. You take all that risk, accomplish nothing, potentially mess up your life and then the next day you get three more door dings when you are not around. What do you do then? Choose a car at random to vandalize in revenge? Better to put on your big girl panties and face the fact that not all things in life will be as you want them to be. Take a deep breath, sit down for a cuppa, and think happy thoughts. Surely there are more important things in your life than door dings.
leaving the scene of an accident is a CRIME, so yes it is CRIMINAL to put a ding in someone else's car and leave without writing a note or taking responsiblity

Old 09-18-2013, 03:56 PM

262 posts, read 608,216 times
I don't think I've ever dinged anyone, but my car is covered in dings and dents from other people. I guess I'm partially to blame, as I usually squeeze in next to people who double park, or park right on the line. Other people are afraid to park next to these cars, and the empty spaces are often in convenient places (near the elevator, building, etc). It's almost like the double parkers were saving me the good spots, at the price of door dings and scratches on my car.

I live in a small town in Wyoming now, so it isn't really an issue anymore.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:28 PM
lgt

469 posts, read 1,344,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanSWM View Post

I've paid for dent removal twice and done it on my own twice.

In the last five years I've got 3 dings.

It's selfish and inconsiderate of you to not acknowledge that property damage no matter how small matters to some people. Some people like to keep thing looking nice and it does have a negative affect on value. Everyone has some petty pet peeves and I'm sure you do too.

No I didn't ask to cover any previous dings.

Vandalizm is a crime and so is a hit and run.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:55 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,078,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
leaving the scene of an accident is a CRIME, so yes it is CRIMINAL to put a ding in someone else's car and leave without writing a note or taking responsiblity
Amen! But some people are so over the top arrogant that they think they are above rules and they have the authority to decide who's property is worth their respect and who's is not!! It's the foundation for being a D-bag.... As clearly presented in this thread by the OP and his multiple posts!

Old 09-19-2013, 11:24 AM

609 posts, read 2,247,441 times
If you guys are going to worry about everyday dings on your cars maybe you should take a bus or park really far so that no one can park next to you. If you can't do the above, expect to get a few dings now and then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive