Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 09:19 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Stated briefly, it was a sham and a debacle. Typical government program.
Also typical was the fact that (on a different forum) I was the only person at the time who criticized it, and I was summarily shouted down. Most people loved it, at the time, and were unable to see how stupid and short-sighted and counter-productive it would turn out to be.

It was the Iraq Invasion of the automotive economy. Nearly unanimously endorsed until people saw what was really happening, and then suddenly everybody turned against it, and forgot how much they were in favor of it at the time..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 09:43 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Also typical was the fact that (on a different forum) I was the only person at the time who criticized it, and I was summarily shouted down. Most people loved it, at the time, and were unable to see how stupid and short-sighted and counter-productive it would turn out to be.

It was the Iraq Invasion of the automotive economy. Nearly unanimously endorsed until people saw what was really happening, and then suddenly everybody turned against it, and forgot how much they were in favor of it at the time..
Beyond the immediate question of, "Why should I have to help somebody buy a new car?" were deeper, more troubling questions.

Why did it become our job, as American citizens, to bail-out the automotive industry that had literally driven itself into the ground? Had they not been cranking out overpriced crap, we would have been buying the cars anyway?

Why didn't they just give significant tax incentives for people to buy ultra-efficient cars, if they wanted people do drive them?

And why didn't they let these "traded-in vehicles" just go to salvage yards, to be cannibalized and cheap parts used by people in the lower-income sector of society?

Cash for Clunkers was yet another incredibly stupid, inefficient, government nightmare. And they wonder why we're skeptical about the Affordable Care Act...

Old 10-12-2013, 10:12 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,995,056 times
Yes, I meant CarFax. As in show me the CarFax.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:53 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
Did anyone participate in Cash for Clunkers? If so, do you recommend it? How does it compare to the CarFox?
Quote:
It doesn't compare, they're completely different, you hardly find a bigger apples to oranges comparison. One was a government program (that ended years ago) spending tax dollars to overpay for peoples POS (in some cases not POS, just not worth much) cars, the other is a private vehicle history report.

Here's one article that says not only did the program waste money but it hurt the environment Whoops

Old 10-12-2013, 02:10 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
What is Carfox?
One might assume he meant Carmax ?

Old 10-12-2013, 04:51 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
Quote:
If you read the fine print on the Carfax report, you'll find that they state that there are no deficiencies "reported". So if the car had been in an accident, repaired, and never "reported", Carfax won't know about it.

What the Cash for Clunkers program did was remove all affordable used cars from the market and lower income folks have suffered since.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:04 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,902,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
If you read the fine print on the Carfax report, you'll find that they state that there are no deficiencies "reported". So if the car had been in an accident, repaired, and never "reported", Carfax won't know about it.

What the Cash for Clunkers program did was remove all affordable used cars from the market and lower income folks have suffered since.
And made used auto parts skyrocket. A lot of good cars were destroyed because of this scam.

And at the time people weren't in a frenzy to buy American cars--they bought Japanese.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:53 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Ummm... What?
Which part was confusing?

My car died for no return - Like I had thought originally, I should have done the trade in via cash for clunkers when the getting was good.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:31 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,995,056 times
CarFox says, show me the CarFax. I say, use craigslist.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:02 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:

And why didn't they let these "traded-in vehicles" just go to salvage yards, to be cannibalized and cheap parts used by people in the lower-income sector of society?

How/when did auto junkyards become an exclusive source of cheap parts used by people in the lower-income sector of society? Do you mean to insult enthusiasts who like to work on cars or do you live in a fantasy world where the crap you toss out is like Christmas to the lower-income sector of society?

I can't believe someone actually expressed such a thought. You must be young, dumb, well off or feeling really entitled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive