Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 09:09 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times

Advertisements

If I install a car alarm/car accessory I either go off the vpbattery or the main power point under the hood. Batteries usually have a positive wire that splits off the main power cable and. Feeds the fuse box under the hood or some power lug under the hood. Never use a accessory to power another accessory especially by tap into the power AFTER THE FUSE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 12:10 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrecc View Post
Ok agreed(?), not so much a rant but both posts were about "viper" products. In the "rant" (you may be right there guys) I had clearly stated that it has been over 10 years since my last remote-anything install. Viper then was a sub-par brand, if they have increased their quality, corrected the mistakes (power supply and over activation of accessory systems) + built a +/- reputation since then great!

Still, am I wrong on trying to steer people away from the remaining majority of aftermarket brands named after animals of action, that try to invoke a supposed response? Nothing says quality like triggering the lock/unlock solenoids 5 times in a row...

Still stand by the best box installed by fools is worth nothing. In Central Ohio people paid $300k for new homes made of foam and stucco with terrible roofs, and walked on floors made of MDF joists. Soon as it got wet the houses fell apart (really, see Triangle development owned by Don Kenney), the older homes 2 blocks down built correctly have been standing for 60+ years. Comparing apples to oranges yes, but the principal is the same.

And VM... Why? I am just as much against junk work as you are, but the consumer misconception that good equipment/training overrules inexperienced/shoddy techs runs rampant around the auto universe. That's all, have a feeling we agree on too much to be at odds with each other.

-Orrecc
In your housing example, the builder (installer) used substandard materials (alarm/starter units) so it's not really a fair comparison, in principle. They may have done an excellent build, but the poor quality materials caused the problems. Just like a great installer using crappy alarms is inviting problems.

I find it hard to believe that MDF joists meet building codes. That just doesn't seem possible.

That aside, either can be problematic.

The last Viper I dealt with is on my F150, and it was installed about 7 years ago. It has always worked perfectly. I had the car guys do the work, but I went over the parts and the install. Looks pretty much like what I used to install.

What do you think is better, and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive