Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 05:34 AM

7,200 posts, read 9,350,835 times

Advertisements

If you are buying a new car, Costco offers the best deals. They work with one dealer in your area to do that.

https://www.costcoauto.com/enterzipc...2fdefault.aspx

Their price was several hundred dollars below Truecar. https://www.truecar.com/#/

Use Truecar to get a ballpark price. A yearly membership for Costco costs $55, well worth it if you are buying a car. I bought a car for my daughter and that process eliminated all of the dealership BS. They even gave us $500 for trading in her 18 year old pos Alero!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 06:32 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,739,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
If you are buying a new car, Costco offers the best deals. They work with one dealer in your area to do that.

https://www.costcoauto.com/enterzipc...2fdefault.aspx

Their price was several hundred dollars below Truecar. https://www.truecar.com/#/

Use Truecar to get a ballpark price. A yearly membership for Costco costs $55, well worth it if you are buying a car. I bought a car for my daughter and that process eliminated all of the dealership BS. They even gave us $500 for trading in her 18 year old pos Alero!
That's not always true. When I bought my 300 I checked them. They were a couple thousand over the price the dealer was offering at the time.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:57 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,503,218 times
Interesting hadn't thought about checking with Costco didn't know they offered that service.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:04 PM

8,702 posts, read 11,102,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
This is, approximately, the sales model Elon Musk is using to sell Teslas where there are no laws preventing him from doing so. Dealers, of course, are seeing red, and have pushed state legislatures to outlaw Internet sales.
that is pretty wild. I hope Musk makes some headway. There is a reason why many people hate the buying experience

Old 10-04-2017, 01:47 PM

9,899 posts, read 7,249,396 times
I chuckle at the idea that people think that by cutting out the dealer, the car is going to be any cheaper. The manufacturer isn't going to give up the retail profit if they don't have to.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:18 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,258,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Regardless, you are still paying for all of the (unnecessary) overhead of a dealership.
Until you need warranty work, which is really hard to get online.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:54 AM

85 posts, read 253,919 times
Well,
After long searching, I think the best deal is really Craigslist.
Equipped with some basic car knowledge, you can easily spot a few older cars, that still are great cars, and have 100k miles on them, for below $3k.

People want to get rid of older cars, because of the age old thought that "old cars break down after 100k miles".
This isn't true for older (Post 2008) model cars! They can last anywhere from 125k miles for the cheapies, to well over 250k miles trouble free!

Most modern economy cars last at leasts 125k miles, some 150k miles, before the engine needs major maintenance.
Even with that (add about $2k on maintenance), you can go for another 50k miles easily; bumping the price to $7k max for ~75-85k miles.

All very well, if you're ok with older car radios, but for me, that's a non-issue.
I don't like those fancy touch screens in cars anyway.

A new car that costs $20k, you can run 10 years, at 10k miles per year, the car would have cost you $2000 per year, or $2 per mile. (maintenance and gasoline not included).

A cheap $3k car, with 100k miles, that lasts you 30k miles without maintenance, would end up costing you $1 per mile, or probably $1000 per year.
Quite often you'll be able to drive a car 30k miles above 100k miles, without any serious maintenance cost.

You may say: "well, a second hand car can be a lemon".
But it could also be not.
Plus, your new car could give you lots of trouble as well!
Also, what would happen if you crashed your new car halfway (5 years), with it being fully paid off?
Insurance will offer you less than half for it (probably $8k, depending on the condition), and your new car would have cost you $12k for only 50k miles (or $2.4/mile, $2400 per year).
Another benefit for buying a cheap car from a person, rather than a dealer, is that if the car will give you 20-30k trouble free miles, for 2 to 3 years, you can easily buy another car down the line; and experience a lot more different cars in your lifetime.

If you're a blue collar worker, A $20k new car, you probably can only afford once every 10 years.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:33 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,532,376 times
So you're essentially afraid of dealers? All the stuff you wrote about used cars was the same before your first post.

I'm buying a new car, doing the negotiations over the phone/email and most likely having the car shipped to me from out of town.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:40 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,583,192 times
Nope! It is written in law that you have to go through a car dealer to purchase a car. This whole buying process was lobbied in the past, and no one is willing to do anything about this because is a lose-lose for almost everyone, except the buyer and the manufacturers.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:20 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,970,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
that is pretty wild. I hope Musk makes some headway. There is a reason why many people hate the buying experience
I hope he fails. If anything just for duping people into thinking they’re saving money by giving full MSRP to the factory instead of the dealer.

With any other dealer it’s possible to get a car cheaper than the dealer paid for it, if the circumstances are just right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive