Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 12:34 AM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times

Advertisements

Check for cracking, that's a good indicator it's time to change the serpentine belt. A belt change cost (under $150.00) is much cheaper than a $4000.00-$5000.00 engine job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 12:39 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Thanks for the advice, everyone!

I'll change the belt in the next 2 - 4 months ... in winter I only put about 1,000 miles or so on the car's mileage.

My mechanic says that if he replaces the timing belt, he wants to do other maintenance stuff and replace some other parts as well as befits a car with over 110,000 miles on it (since he'll have the engine taken apart anyway). He advised me the job will cost not a "few hundred" but "several hundred dollars."

Old 10-27-2013, 12:43 AM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
The engine doesn't come apart to change the serpentine (timing) belt. He must be quoting that high of a figure for other things added on like spark plugs and fluid changes etal.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:09 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,046,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Thanks for the advice, everyone!

I'll change the belt in the next 2 - 4 months ... in winter I only put about 1,000 miles or so on the car's mileage.

My mechanic says that if he replaces the timing belt, he wants to do other maintenance stuff and replace some other parts as well as befits a car with over 110,000 miles on it (since he'll have the engine taken apart anyway). He advised me the job will cost not a "few hundred" but "several hundred dollars."
Again, he is spot on. And he is smart enough to advise you beforehand what the job is going to run.

The timing belt & components will be about $150 - and that's just for parts. On that particular model, with those miles, you'd be foolish not to replace the water pump while doing the timing belt components. That'll run another $100 or so, just for parts. Also, you'll want to replace the serpentine belt, unless it has recently be done. Belt costs about $30 (be sure to get the Gates brand belt). Hopefully the tensioner is okay, because it costs about $100.

Brace yourself. This job is going to run you close to $750. Be thankful that the guy is warning you before hand.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:05 AM

19,036 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That's the safe bet.

Verify if your engine is "clearance" or "interference" design or not.

If it's interference you get to rebuild or buy a new engine when the belt fails.
If it's clearance you get to have a tow bill on top of the belt replacement work when the belt fails.
I don't care for either of those options.

Hyundai

• All Interference

AGCO Automotive Repair Service - Baton Rouge, LA - List Of Interference Engines

Change belt at manufacturer recommended intervals, whatever it is. Same time, replace water pump, tensioner, and idler. Thermostat won't hurt along with coolant flush. Sleep well.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:11 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
My mechanic says that if he replaces the timing belt, he wants to do other maintenance stuff
and replace some other parts as well as befits a car with over 110,000 miles on it
Open the owners manual... see what is recommended that hasn't been done.
Don't agree to anything not on the list.

Quote:
He advised me the job will cost not a "few hundred" but "several hundred dollars."
The timing belt, even at OEM, shouldn't be more than $50.
The R&R shop time to put it on shouldn't be more than 2 hours.

That 2 hours will include the time needed to also install a new serpentine belt...
and very likely the other small items like filters, plugs and wires too. Maybe an extra hour.

Quote:
(since he'll have the engine taken apart anyway).
A lot of shops like to push having the water pump replaced along with the timing belt.
It's a good er, rationale... but it's rarely needed.

Last edited by MrRational; 10-27-2013 at 09:11 AM..

Old 10-27-2013, 08:21 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
The engine doesn't come apart to change the serpentine (timing) belt. He must be quoting that high of a figure for other things added on like spark plugs and fluid changes etal.
The "serpentine" belt is NOT the timing belt. The timing belt has one specialized function - drive the camshaft(s) which in turn drive the valves. It is a thick belt with teeth so it does not slip at all.

The serpentine belt powers engine accessories like the alternator and AC compressor. If this belt slips a bit, nothing bad happens.

Replacing the timing belt usually costs much more - because more labor is involved.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:26 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
Look at the belt and see if there are any fine cracks , that would mean the rubber is breaking down . time for a change.
A friend of mine gave me a car they neglected to change the belt and when it broke the engine running of course bent several valves which turned into quite a repair job .
If you can't see the belt ,ask your mechanic to show it to you.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:13 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,861,321 times
Question? Didn't they used to make timing belt out of steel like a bicycle chain? Wouldn't they last longer than a rubber timing belt? Just wondered............

Old 10-27-2013, 08:18 PM

545 posts, read 1,485,380 times
Usually it's not the belt that you have to worry about, it's the tensioners and rollers seizing up and taking the belt with it. Also, some newer cars run the water pump off the timing belt. If the water pump seizes, sayonarra timing belt. My wife had a 2002 Elantra way back when. We replaced the timing belt at 65k and, if I remember correctly, it wasn't terribly expensive - I think around $300 for that and the serpentine belt. Much less than replacing the timing belt on my 2000 A4 ($1100). If you want to keep the car for a while, you're going to need to do it eventually. Might as well do it on schedule for piece of mind. Just my 0.02...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive