Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 07:52 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,947,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I hit 100mph driving to work today.
Haha since you mention it, I've cruised at around 100-110 on the freeways around Phoenix on occasion (traffic typically flows at 85-90, so that's not really a big speed differential). It's perfectly safe as long as people are paying attention, and going a similar speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 08:02 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times

Driving Lamborghini on Autobahn at 305kph=189mph - YouTube

Old 11-20-2013, 08:08 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,982 times

Toyota Corolla TS 1.8 - 220 km/h - Autobahn - YouTube

Look! They drive Corolla's on the Autobahn too!

Old 11-20-2013, 08:49 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,046,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
No. I haven't seen those. I live in Texas where individual privacy is still respected and big brother is at a minimum.
They're weight sensors for trucks. They keep trucks from having to pull over and go through weigh stations all the time. Probably a good thing.

You would want a machine replacing tens of thousands of well paying jobs across the nation? What will that do for our economy?
Tens of thousands? And this isn't about eliminating jobs. It's about NOT having Troopers pull people over alongside the Interstate. It's about improving traffic flow.

These cameras would be much more hazardous and dangerous than a police officer stopping a motorist on the side of the road, from which you can see their lights from nearly a mile away. What do drivers do when they see an officer running radar on the of the highway? Brake abruptly. These officers are few and far between.
This makes no sense.

Now you would want cameras that would probably be placed at random every three to five miles away from one another. So speeders would be braking more abruptly, more often, which, by the way, is a major cause for accidents on highways.
This makes no sense either.

Slow drivers are more hazardous and dangerous than speeders. Slow drivers hold back traffic, interrupting the flow of traffic, and react slowly to hazards on the roadway. Don't get a speeder confused with an aggressive drive either, because I know that is your next defense.
Third paragraph in a row that makes no sense.

So how is this better?
You wouldn't have Troopers zipping in and out of traffic, pulling motorists over alongside the road. No high-speed chases, because a speeder refused to pull over. How is that NOT better?

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Old 11-20-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
Nobody has mentioned one BIG difference between the interstate and the autobahn: trucking.

So to recap: the German autobahn is able to exist because of Germany's increased use of rail, their better driver's education, and the quality of the road and the cars along it. The system could not be dropped directly into America, mostly due to cost, and our reliance on heavy trucking.
While most of Germany's goods USED to be shipped via rail, that has changed. And it has caused major problems on the Autobahn. Apparently they're trying to figure out how to deal with it.

German Autobahn Clogged By Freight

Old 11-20-2013, 09:29 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Don't even try to keep up.
That's the best you've got? This is like shooting fish in a barrel.

No effort required. When you finally start to make some sense you get all up in someone's face that disagrees with you and start to lose it.

"Don't even try to keep up."

Seriously? That's it? I'm crushed. Cut to the quick. I'm going to stay in the house for a week and eat nothing but chocolate and ice cream. You hurt me so badly that I think I'll start drinking heavily to drown my sorrows.

Not.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
That's the best you've got? This is like shooting fish in a barrel.

No effort required. When you finally start to make some sense you get all up in someone's face that disagrees with you and start to lose it. The quoted post is an example.
Let me ask you this question: What the heck are you even saying? Your prior 2 posts make absolutely NO sense whatsoever, and they are self-contradictory.

If you want to argue, at least make sense. Some sense. ANY sense.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:36 AM

The best part?

The OP started a whingey thread about the Autobahn being discussed too much.

And what is it we have been doing for most of the 67 posts in this thread?

Big DUH!

Old 11-20-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
The best part?

The OP started a whingey thread about the Autobahn being discussed too much.

And what is it we have been doing for most of the 67 posts in this thread?

Big DUH!
How about going back and reading my first post. Then you can come back and talk about what I actually wrote.

Be a good boy and run along now...

Old 11-20-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Let me ask you this question: What the heck are you even saying? Your prior 2 posts make absolutely NO sense whatsoever, and they are self-contradictory.

If you want to argue, at least make sense. Some sense. ANY sense.
Your lack of literary comprehension is not my fault and it is not my responsibility to teach you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive