Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2013, 07:23 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
Move the h**l over, so I can continue going 85 breaking the law, wasting gas and endangering others with my driving, and hoping not to have a blowout going this fast. LOLOLOL

Break one law to stop others from breaking the others?

Do you really think just because you hold up the left lane, other motorists will tolerate it? No, they're going to go to the extreme to get around you since you took it upon yourself to disrupt the flow of the traffic. They're going to do the exact opposite of what you expect.

You being the left lane initiates reckless driving. Since you refuse to move over, they either pull up in the right lane, running up someone who is not traveling at their speed. Now you have two lanes that slowed down for no reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 07:31 AM

641 posts, read 1,020,776 times
why do people ride my *** even if im doing 10-15 over in the middle lane?

Old 12-18-2013, 07:36 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
Good, courteous civic sense -- left lane is for passing.
Most multi-lane accidents are caused by or contributed to by lane changes, so it safer to remain in the left lane in fairly heavy traffic, rather than swerve and ziazag back and forth from one lane to another if there is a high volume of cars in the slower lanes that you intend to pass.

Common sense and courtesy would be to judge the situation by the prevailing traffic, and drive in such a way that you do not impede drivers, but also do not make excessive lane changes.

If traffic is fairly heavy, get in your lane and stay in it until there is a need to change lanes, either to move left to overtake a car in your lane, or move right to make way for a car overtaking you in the left lane. I don't understand why so many drivers have so much trouble with this concept.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:03 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,165,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
why do people ride my *** even if im doing 10-15 over in the middle lane?
Maybe because there are no cars in front of you and the idiot on the left lane runs parallel with you and the right lane car?

Old 12-18-2013, 08:53 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,312,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
I hope that one day you realize that people like you, that refuse to free the passing lane are the cause of many accidents.
I don't get it - why don't you want to offer the curtesy of safely moving over at any time there is a faster car behind you (and there is nobody in front of you)????
Who ever said that there is no one in front of me?

Old 12-18-2013, 09:08 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,165,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
Who ever said that there is no one in front of me?
I don't think anybody expects you to move when you have cars in front of you...am I missing something...

Old 12-18-2013, 10:41 AM

802 posts, read 1,682,313 times
Quote:
If the vehicle "you" catch up to is driving as I described and has the room to safely change lanes to allow you to go by, then "you" have the room to do likewise. Why do you feel it is the obligation of the vehicle operator who is driving legaly and responsibly to move over? The tailgating driver is already an "agressive" driver who is driving illegaly and irresponsibly, making such a demand while the vast majority of drivers are operating lawfully and responsibly shows a clear disregard for "common courtesy" and the law.
Are you serious? This is why accidents occur. The law is to move over to the right. It only causes confusion and irritation when you do not move over. For example, you will have cars being cut off in the right lane by people trying to pass on the right and then back into the left lane. Traffic moves much more smoothly when there is clear organization to what should happen. Cars passing on the left. Cars not passing on the right. Simple.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:45 AM

802 posts, read 1,682,313 times
Quote:
For the last 18 years I have been commuting a stretch of HWY that serves 30,000 each rush hour over a 10 mile section and for some reason, "people who think like you" and drive in such a manner manage to end up in the ditch, in collision or rollover, or pulled over by the Police, this is turn causes a massive traffic jam that normally would take 10+- minutes to get to town into 45 minutes or more due to all of the other fools who have stop and rubberneck almost on a daily basis. Now add to that the rearend collision, or two, or three that occur on top of the original distraction and there is more delay and injury. Now who's "thinking" causes traffic jams and endangers life moreso tha the other, those driving with respect to the traffic laws, or those driving carelessly and outside of the traffic laws?

I hope "people who think like you" one day come to realize, before they are injured or killed, or cause such to an innocent, that saving a few seconds of time is not worth it!
How can you conclude--erroneously-- that there is a causal relation between "people who believe the left lane should be clear for drivers passing" and the accidents that you have encountered. Aren't texting while driving, tailgating, and other distractions more plausible explanations. No, speed is always the factor to blame (sarcasm).

Old 12-18-2013, 03:41 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Last spring I was driving back from Washington DC to NJ. We were trying to beat a minor snow fall, which was predicted to drop 1/2" of snow. On the stretch of 95, or some iteration of it, about 15 minutes north of DC, it was raining lightly. I was in the second to left hand lane doing 65-70. As we are coming over a hill, I move into the left lane to pass a car ahead of me doing maybe 60. A young woman in the left hand lane was doing somewhere around 40 (according to the police officer), in the left hand lane of a 5 (maybe more) lane highway where the rest of the flow of traffic was doing much closer to 60-65. I was just barely able to get into the right lane and the 18 wheeler behind me nearly jack knifed and did end up running her off the road, into the shoulder, than the median. It was only due to the fact that traffic was light that this was not a massive, multi-car accident. I stopped half a mile up, called the police, and while I was grateful everyone was mostly okay, it did stink that ultimately had to go back to court down there twice as a witness for the trucker since she sued him!

But we were not speeding (the trucker nor I), we were not driving inappropriately for the conditions, we were following the law and the flow of traffic. This woman toodling along in the left hand lane almost killed multiple people and then claimed in court that she thought staying right except to pass was a "suggestion".

So yes people, if you refuse to get out of the left hand lane when you are driving slower than others, you risk lives.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:10 PM

537 posts, read 740,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
When I come up fast on idiots oblivious to others behind them in the left lane, I flash my lights for them to get over. If I have to slow down, you will get the "one finger salute" and a dirty look as I pass.
Right on! That's the Autobahn Method: flash brights, offender pulls over, pass slower traffic. Easy peasy.

Here in the United States of I Think I'm Special it goes like this:

1) pull up behind retard in left lane, flash lights, no reaction, flash lights again, no reaction, pass on right, glare at idiot who is either on a cell phone or staring into the next state, continue past idiot, pull into left lane while idiot continues on cluelessly, or

2) pull up behind retard in left lane, retard finally pulls over, as you pass them retard accelerates to match your speed so you cannot pull over into right lane without engaging turbo boost. This person is known as a "P*******".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive