Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 10:40 AM

19,034 posts, read 27,599,679 times

Advertisements

OP, you WILL have this issue coming back at you, and you WILL be tossing $$ at this, unless you BED THE ROTORS AND PADS right after install. As in - instantly.
I am not aware of any of them brake places doing this for customers and truly, why would they? More wind into their sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 10:41 AM

19,034 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Oh, and for 2011 - you have no "other" issues, like suspension and such, unless you really hit it hard somewhere. It's Toyota.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:18 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times
Sounds like it's rotors. If it were something else, you would most likely have the problem even when not braking.

Make sure they check the rear brakes/rotors as well.

Personally, I always replace rotors along with brake pads. Rotors are pretty much considered an expendable item these days, you can get them for pretty cheap unlike the old days when you had to have them cut.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:07 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Rotors weren't my problem. My calipers weren't releasing properly. They needed to be adjusted.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:08 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post

Personally, I always replace rotors along with brake pads. Rotors are pretty much considered an expendable item these days, you can get them for pretty cheap unlike the old days when you had to have them cut.
Cheap? Not to everyone. I spent over $700 last year on new pads and rotors on all 4 wheels. Wouldn't say that was cheap!

Old 02-27-2014, 04:29 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,177,213 times
By cheap, he was talking about the rotors. They're generally around $25 each, these days. If they are turnable, that will usually cost around $10-15 each. Most people just get new rotors. In the days when cars were much heavier, the front rotors (back end were usually drum brakes) were usually quite large and had an embedded bearing and race. That style of rotor was $40-50 nearly 20 years ago. Almost everyone would have them turned.

$700 for pads and rotors is pretty steep, though. What kind of vehicle is it?

Old 02-27-2014, 06:08 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,213,645 times
Default Rotors???

Quote:
Originally Posted by nansue View Post
I had my front brakes replaced less then 6 months ago at brake max
I have an 2011 Toyota corolla
recently my steering wheel is shaking when I hit the brake
do you know what that could be.....
I was told its my Rotors
do you know how much this is to fix
thanks nancy
<http://autorepair.about.com/od/fixityourself/ss/pitman-idler-replace.htm>

Old 02-27-2014, 06:13 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
It's time for a new car.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:29 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
'Warped' rotors don't occur on street cars, at street speeds...
-The rotors may have pad/corrosion build up and be affected in that way.
-Slight, careful machining may help the rotors, but it does peel off some of the rotor meat. If not done carefully, they will be 'better' for about a week.
-thrust arm bushings are a factor in many brands of cars.
-wheel weights flung off, or tire wear that is substantially different than previous wheel balancing adjusted for, are also a possibility.
-lug nut torque improper, though low on the list, is easiest to check.

As it is only 6 months after a 'brake job', I would take it back and be firm on the shop checking rotor wear and pad thickness. They may/probably will dance the OP around and offer a reduced price 're-do' or sell suspension work/alignment.

If it were me, and the shop carefully checked the brakes and did some brake component re-do for free or a very reduced fee, I would drive it and see how they did. If that shop was simply selling you more 'brakes' or other stuff, I would decline and find a different shop; every town in the US has at least one Toyota oriented Indie repair place. I would avoid the dealer, off warranty.
GL, mD

Old 02-27-2014, 08:53 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,592,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
<http://autorepair.about.com/od/fixityourself/ss/pitman-idler-replace.htm>
Huh?? This car has rack & pinion steering and does not use an idler or pitman arm.

Did not bother to copy and paste the link but can't see how its relevant.

A shaking steering wheel upon brake application IS a rotor problem.

Don in Austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive