Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 07:24 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,507,317 times

Advertisements

Why do some car dealerships brand their cars? What i mean is that they will stick their dealership name onto cars like "Doug Chevrolet" or Rick Case Honda. It looks ugly to me and a lot of times you cant take it off very easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 07:25 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,095,402 times
Why??? Free Advertising!

Old 03-07-2014, 07:27 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,250,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Why??? Free Advertising!

Yep. Unless they are painted on they are usually pretty easy to takeoff. Dental floss and a hair dryer, or letting the car sit in the sun for a while

Old 03-07-2014, 07:34 AM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
Why do some car dealerships brand their cars? What i mean is that they will stick their dealership name onto cars like "Doug Chevrolet" or Rick Case Honda. It looks ugly to me and a lot of times you cant take it off very easily.
I had a friend that worked at Rick Case.....their nickname for him was "D!ck Face Honda"

Old 03-07-2014, 07:39 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
I always wonder about folks who leave that kind of stuff on the car. They must have a much better experience with dealerships than I do, because I have yet to meet the dealership I would willingly advertise for using my vehicle as a banner. On the first (and only) brand new car I ever bought, I removed the plate frames with the dealer info before the car ever came off the lot. Thankfully, they hadn't put on any PITA stickers.

Mike

Old 03-07-2014, 07:47 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,765,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
I always wonder about folks who leave that kind of stuff on the car. They must have a much better experience with dealerships than I do, because I have yet to meet the dealership I would willingly advertise for using my vehicle as a banner. On the first (and only) brand new car I ever bought, I removed the plate frames with the dealer info before the car ever came off the lot. Thankfully, they hadn't put on any PITA stickers.
I know.

I bought my first new car recently and although the car I purchased didn't have anything on it, I would have complained about it during negotiating if it did, and possible refused to buy it unless they took it off before I signed a check.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:58 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,437,937 times
I get the dealership to remove all their advertising before I take ownership of the car.

I'm not an unpaid billboard for them.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:00 AM

819 posts, read 1,409,929 times
I've found a hair dryer and a credit card work quite well to pop those things off. The ones that stink are stickers instead of the large badges; a lot of them use a sticker material that easily tears, so you can't just start it and yank it off, you end up spending hours removing every little bit. There's a spray called Goo Gone that you can typically get at home depot or the grocery store that will help get the stickers, and their residue off, just make sure to wash afterward so it doesn't harm the paint. Probably far easier to have a detailer remove a sticker since you'll want to polish out scratches that could result.

In any case, I've successfully mandated my past two new car purchases not have those since both were orders, so I didn't have to deal with it recently.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:02 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,498,040 times
They all do it in some measure. A sticker, a license plate frame, sometimes a badge. I forgot to ask them to not put one on my GLI when I picked it up because I was too concerned with making sure they did not install a front plate bracket during the PDI.

I removed the plate bracket and added a nice clean glossy black one and then put my own decal on, plus plate LED bulbs.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:07 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,055,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I get the dealership to remove all their advertising before I take ownership of the car.

I'm not an unpaid billboard for them.

I do the same thing.

On another note, if I'm in a place of business and the clerk stops waiting on me to answer the phone, I tell them to put that person on hold, I took the trouble of coming into their business and the lazy caller can wait their turn. I've actually cancelled a purchase because of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive