Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 03:58 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,109,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Furthermore, as a liberal, companies working towards fuel efficiency should be a byproduct of free-market demand, and auto companies should not be bailed out by the government.
Hate to break it to you, but you're not a liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 04:03 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,109,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Okay there big hero, show me an SUV that isn't primitive. They are ALL boxes on wheels and have the aerodynamics of a brick. They are top heavy, handle like crap and might as well be made in the 70's as far what they are. Heck there were cars in the 50's that probably handled better. Also, don't tell me they are all slow out of the hole. Many are way overpowered and can lay down fast times in the 1/4. Those are the ones I hate the most because they get people in all kinds of trouble and many times causing death. I just love to see them flying down snow-covered roads as they think they somehow can stop better than others because they saw a TV ad showing the SUV flying through a snowdrift. Yep, brilliant as they ram some poor sole from behind and kill a couple of kids in car seats in the back. Wonderful! People that drive them are mostly all the same. Aggressive and bully types and wanting to say, "look at me, look at me, I drive what the latest rap star drives!"

Oh, and my car hasn't moved in a week because I ride a bike to and from work. You know that thing you pedal. Of course the SUV people want me to pay tax to ride it on the streets. I show them how type II diabetes is killing tons of people and causing Americans BILLIONS of dollars in medical bills, but I digress. I do understand the fat folks wanting SUV's though. The seats are higher so their guts are less compressed and they feel more comfortable. Plus it is easier to get in and out of for the fatties.

Anyway, as soon as the OP labeled people with "liberal" or "left wing" or whatever convenient label so they don't have to think, I knew brain drain was here. It is like talking to a brick wall. Good luck though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxuwXczWQC0

Old 03-22-2014, 04:56 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,358,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Well, the ratio of Large SUV's to Lamborghini's and Ferraris is probably 100,000 to 1, if not higher
Lmao, EXACTLY

NO comparison whatsoever...

Old 03-24-2014, 06:55 PM

824 posts, read 1,177,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
Because...

Left-wingers and 'tree-huggers' are idiots.
and that same goes for the RINO's as well.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:26 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Sounds to me like the radio in your SUV only picks up Limbaugh and Michael Weiner-Savage.

Might be time to trade it in on a nice new Chevy Volt.

I would rather kill myself than drive a Chevy Volt.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:33 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Yeah, most exotics are not being used as daily drivers by middle class people, so technically the amount of waste will be larger with the SUV.

Basically, when you see a vehicle one time, you don't knwo what it's doing the rest of the time. It could be doing real work when you're NOT looking at it, or even just be sitting around the rest of the time waiting to do real work. (my Suburban sits in the driveway most of the time when I'm not doing real work with it, as I have small cars to commute with)
Corvettes, Mustangs, Camaros, Porsches , M class BMWs, AMG Mercedes...hell, my XLRV was 11/17 mileage-wise. All daily drivers. I even have friends who drive their Maseratis, Lambos, and Ferraris daily.

The real answer is that SUV haters are responding to instinct - they equate anything big with waste. They don't actually think about it.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:36 PM

6,997 posts, read 4,811,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
The ones especially Left-Wingers and Tree Huggers complain about SUV's on how "bad mileage they get" yet those same people do not(for the most part) criticize on cars like a Lamborghini or Ferrari that gets worst gas Mileages.

Take a Ford Excursion 7.3 Diesel for example;

For those who don't live in America: 990 miles = 1450kms. 44 gallons = 166.5 liters.
900 miles on a 44 gallon tank = 20.5 mpg
20.5 mpg = 11.4 L/100kms
Though that likely assumes highway driving, in stop start traffic it won't be quite the same.

Remember this is a 3.5 ton truck with the aerodynamic properties of a brick wall, I'd say it's not too shabby. So 20 or more MPG for a SUV that size is not bad.

A Lamborghini such as a Aventador does worse, but I bet you won't hear the whingers fuss and complain about that about that.

And the ones complain about why "people need such a large vehicle", well blame that on the ones such as Celebrities and Wealthy who do not use them for their true purpose except for flash.

Also, there were a time when back somewhere from the mid 1990s and 1980s on backwards that TRUE SUV's(Such as a Suburban or Bronco) was built for towing, hauling, picking up more people and the above, they were not fitted with all the electric gizmos that "suvs" have today which helps a lady drive like it's a normal car and is mostly used by soccer moms. Back then most Females were scared to drive an suv.

On the other hand however what is always the need for a 2 seater or small car 4 door car anyway?
Would you define "Leftwingers" and "Treehuggers" for me please?

Old 03-24-2014, 07:36 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
To address the second paragraph quoted - I totally agree.
My SUV (4Runner) does not get used daily, but it is used to haul dirty dogs, bikes, stuff from the nursery (recently brought home and spread 2000 pounds of Mexican beach rock in my yard), etc.

I will never not have an SUV.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:44 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,284,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
I would rather kill myself than drive a Chevy Volt.
Too bad, 'cause it's a great car and the perfect compliment to my SUV.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:07 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,688,561 times
A true liberal complains about greenhouse gases and SUVs but has a hummer in the garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive