Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 12:08 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,233,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
The ones especially Left-Wingers and Tree Huggers complain about SUV's on how "bad mileage they get" yet those same people do not(for the most part) criticize on cars like a Lamborghini or Ferrari that gets worst gas Mileages.
Most uber-rich people are *******s and Lefties, so naturally they don't see themselves as a problem. The problem is all the ordinary materialistic unthinking Bourgeois masses who can afford to buy big vehicles they don't really deserve thanks to the evils of capitalistic society which kills the planet for the sake of profit. They have this insane idea that they should just be able to do whatever they want as long as they can earn it, or they have these stupid "dreams" of living the good life. They have to be stopped at all costs.

In a marvelous Marxist society, like Cuba or North Korea, the peasants aren't allowed to do "just anything because they can do it". They are monitored by the elites - who of course are rewarded with Lamborghinis for their special service to manking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 01:39 AM

819 posts, read 1,408,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
And by the way, all NASCAR tracks are not "just left turns" there are few tracks in Nascar that are also left amd right turns.

And try handling a 8 to 900 horsepower big car around that track at over 200mph than a flat car with wings and lowered suspension and wide body for better traction.
I love both nascar and F1, but please don't try to make it sound like a nascar driver has more car control skill than F1 because the latter enjoy the help of wings.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:22 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,285,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
1. Lambos and Ferraris aren't driven as daily drivers and if you look at them for sale used, even 10 year old ones have very few miles on them, so they can't be compared to a daily.
2. SUVs are really junk. They are high sitting vehicles that don't handle well and can't avoid accidents at all. They plow into any problems that occur in front of them, so they cause a lot of needless harm and they really are an American mess. They are marketed to us 24/7. Most of them really don't have all that much utility at all. They are mainly for aggressive women that want to tailgate and bully others.
You're an idiot. SUVs have a lot of utility, especially the bigger ones. Mine is used to tow a 30 ft travel trailer that your Euro sedan can't do. I can also carry 4x8 sheets of plywood and drywall home fom home depot inside it. And I just brough home a sofa and loveseat in it. No, it's not a sports car, but it doesn't need to be. Mine has not hurt anyone in the 12 years it's been in service, so obviously they don't go around crashing into things by themselves. In fact, 99% of owners never get into accidents of any sort. With your logic, you'd think that just driving one would cause accidents, but that's easily disproven. Get a clue.

Quote:
Enjoy your closed minded views.
Hypocrite, much? You're the one that's closed minded with the crap you spewed in the paragraph above.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:53 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,382,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbound View Post
I love both nascar and F1, but please don't try to make it sound like a nascar driver has more car control skill than F1 because the latter enjoy the help of wings.
Of course NASCAR drivers have more car control skills. Because the cars have smaller tires, smaller brakes, almost no down force compared to F1 and anybody who has ever seen Kyle Bush drive his car sideways at almost 200 MPH at Daytona can attest to to their skills.

Here is a fact, the more sophisticated a race car the easier it is to drive at the limit.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:27 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,901,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Well, the ratio of Large SUV's to Lamborghini's and Ferraris is probably 100,000 to 1, if not higher
Yes and if you take actual miles driven by SUVs vs. Exotic sports cars, its probably like 200,000 to 1.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:37 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,759,495 times
Regardless of which wing people are on, most people don't necessarily have a real idea of what cars get what mileage. They assume that small cars get great mileage and big vehicles get bad mileage. So, it is an easy crutch to vilify an SUV owner as it seems like they should get bad mileage.

And on the other side, I cannot tell you how many people would stop me at gas stations in 2007 and 08 when gas prices really started climbing and they would see my MINI and say I must be super happy driving that car with gas so high. But, mine is a 2004 Cooper S with a supercharged engine. The EPA rating is 22 City/31 Hwy, 25 combined. Mine would struggle to get that much usually (lifetime average is 23.25 which includes time when I had long and short commutes) . And it took premium gas. But people were assuming I was getting 40 MPG or something. Even the non-supercharged Cooper didn't get that at the time.

Also, people don't really consider the real cost of their vehicle either. Yes, Hybrids seem popular, but many diesels get much better mileage and with modern emissions are not running "dirty" any more. Plus making and eventually disposing of batteries has an environmental cost.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:54 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,285,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Plus making and eventually disposing of batteries has an environmental cost.
can we knock this off already? Batteries are recyclable. They get re-used and not disposed of. There is no more environmental cost to them than there is in drilling for oil (usually much less), and less than oil spills.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:11 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,657,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Regardless of which wing people are on, most people don't necessarily have a real idea of what cars get what mileage. They assume that small cars get great mileage and big vehicles get bad mileage. So, it is an easy crutch to vilify an SUV owner as it seems like they should get bad mileage.

And on the other side, I cannot tell you how many people would stop me at gas stations in 2007 and 08 when gas prices really started climbing and they would see my MINI and say I must be super happy driving that car with gas so high. But, mine is a 2004 Cooper S with a supercharged engine. The EPA rating is 22 City/31 Hwy, 25 combined. Mine would struggle to get that much usually (lifetime average is 23.25 which includes time when I had long and short commutes) . And it took premium gas. But people were assuming I was getting 40 MPG or something. Even the non-supercharged Cooper didn't get that at the time.

Also, people don't really consider the real cost of their vehicle either. Yes, Hybrids seem popular, but many diesels get much better mileage and with modern emissions are not running "dirty" any more. Plus making and eventually disposing of batteries has an environmental cost.

Good point on the assumptions people make with regard to the type of vehicle you drive. Most people look at my 03 Corvette and assume it's a gas hog but I can get nearly 30 MPG on a trip.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:47 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,759,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
can we knock this off already? Batteries are recyclable. They get re-used and not disposed of. There is no more environmental cost to them than there is in drilling for oil (usually much less), and less than oil spills.

"Batteries" are not reused. The cases are broken apart and the internal components are subjected to chemical and heat treatments to remove the metals, which are then recycled back into new batteries.

I never said there was no cost to drilling for oil. However, every source of energy has costs, some of which are readily apparent and some that happen far away and out of sight. Electric and hybrid cars are not immune to this.

Recycling of lead acid batteries ( I can't find something similar for Lithium Ion) I imagine this has an impact and does not look super clean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJj5iIwF8p4

Old 03-13-2014, 11:22 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,141,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Well...can we talk about the by-products of breaking them down for recycling or the sources of the electricity used to re-charge them? Hydro? Coal? Solar? Nuclear? Wind? When breaking down the batteries after they have met their useful life...what fumes/gasses are released from the recycling process and what does that do to our environment? Does an electric/hybrid car really justify the premium imposed on like for like models?

I know this is a bit off topic as we were supposed to be discussing MPG of SUVs vs. Super Cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive