Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 03:37 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,272,250 times

Advertisements

Before anyone takes a dump on this thread I obviously won't be playing anything while I'm driving or sitting at a stop sign.

I have two 15 minute breaks at work and a 30 minute lunch. Besides wasting my time talking to Joe Schmoe about his 3 kids or listening to music I have nothing else to do. Perhaps eat, but eating can be done later. I want to enjoy this time instead of waste it to eternal "work life".

I need some help how to rig this up though. I have a 800 watt inverter. I will be playing Halo mostly on the original Xbox. Less than 100 watts and of course. Lcd screen perhaps....whatever works really.

I know I can hardline the inverter to the battery and simply flick a switch when I want to turn it on. Obviously I will need certain guage wire and everything, I understand all of that.

What I don't understand is should I keep the car idling while using the inverter? I just used it an hour ago to power a 600 watt shop vac for 10-15 minutes. Worked like a charm. The car was off the whole time. Were talking about 15 minutes then 3 hours later another 30 minutes and possibly another 15 minutes for the last break.

I don't want the battery to be dead when I get off work. I know that running the car while using it won't kill the battery as fast, but will it still kill it when I turn it off for example for a few hours and leave when I try to turn it back on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 03:56 PM

17,602 posts, read 17,635,928 times
The above post is one of the answers of "signs you're addicted to video games". Exactly how much Halo play can you actually do to make this rig worth the effort? How long to turn on the system, get the game started, save, and shut down? For a fifteen minute break you could talk to friends and family, read a book or magazine (print or electronic), read things online, exercise, have a snack, listen to music, watch YouTube videos, or study work related materials for possible promotion or advancement.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:57 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,090,187 times
Well for starters you haven't said what the Ah rating of your battery is. The size/capacity of your battery is going to determine whether you can essentially play an hour's worth of Halo during the day with the car off.

Figure out what kind of battery you have and from there you can then subtract the load from the Xbox and any screen you'll be running. My guess is that if you have anything less than a 50Ah rated battery, you'll have problems with starting.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:00 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
The above post is one of the answers of "signs you're addicted to video games". Exactly how much Halo play can you actually do to make this rig worth the effort? How long to turn on the system, get the game started, save, and shut down? For a fifteen minute break you could talk to friends and family, read a book or magazine (print or electronic), read things online, exercise, have a snack, listen to music, watch YouTube videos, or study work related materials for possible promotion or advancement.

Go to the bathroom.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:02 PM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Don't do this.......You will look like a weirdo or immature kid plus you now have the risk of theft and without an Xbox your life would really suck, right?

"Water cooler talk" can advance your career and possibly put you in a favorable light with higher-ups at the company. Isolating yourself in the car will make you look like "Unabomber Jr"

Old 05-04-2014, 04:05 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,304,991 times

Amazon.com: Sony PSP

Problem solved

Old 05-04-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I love when people ASSume.

I don't even have the Xbox right now or the game. I don't play that much, but I wanted to play because of the fond memories I had when I was younger. It has been over a year since I have played any gaming system.

Thanks though for the comment. I could listen to music, call someone, or play Halo. Luckily I live in America, and can do as I please. I'll put that comment where I put many assuming comments. In the trash.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Don't do this.......You will look like a weirdo or immature kid plus you now have the risk of theft and without an Xbox your life would really suck, right?

"Water cooler talk" can advance your career and possibly put you in a favorable light with higher-ups at the company. Isolating yourself in the car will make you look like "Unabomber Jr"
I'm not looking to advance my career. I don't need someone to "help me" advance my career with water cooler talk about what color your house walls are painted. Paint them blue...my favorite color. Otherwise stop asking me such a stupid question.

My life is made up of my decisions and my faults. I don't need Mary or Joe to advance anything of mine.

Also I found it interesting that if I somehow not schmoozing with the fellow workers I'm a unabomber. What has America become?

I like to think outside the box. I have 60 minutes to kill at work for breaks. I could schmooze my life away or watch Youtube or I can do something I want to do. I want to play Halo or any game of my youth....Vice City. I like to enjoy my life. If you like water cooler talk, great. I do not.

Last edited by packer43064; 05-04-2014 at 04:32 PM..

Old 05-04-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Well for starters you haven't said what the Ah rating of your battery is. The size/capacity of your battery is going to determine whether you can essentially play an hour's worth of Halo during the day with the car off.

Figure out what kind of battery you have and from there you can then subtract the load from the Xbox and any screen you'll be running. My guess is that if you have anything less than a 50Ah rated battery, you'll have problems with starting.
Thank you, will go and look.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Amazon.com: Sony PSP

Problem solved
My phone is bigger than that, lol.

Might be better playing than angy birds though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive