Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 02:38 PM

22,327 posts, read 29,411,685 times

Advertisements

2014 Lexus GX Luxury Model
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 03:43 PM

1,245 posts, read 923,194 times
It won't ever be a FORD again, too many problems, transmission is a big issue, same with the other domestic ones. I will probably go with a toyota or honda.
You can check up on certain vehicles here http://www.carcomplaints.com/

Old 08-21-2015, 04:41 PM

81 posts, read 98,032 times
Last September we traded our 2002 Sedan DeVille for a new Ford Escape Titanium. It is just about fully loaded and as empty nesters just the right fit for us. The 2.0 l turbo has plenty of power for mergining or passing. It is a small SUV and has a car like ride, but the convienence of getting in and out of the vehicle and access to storage. We average around 25mpg city/highway.

Last week I traded in our Camaro convertible for a Chevy Trax. I'm retiring soon, but wanted a second vehicle the was economically priced right but also had a quiet ride and easy access in and out of the vehicle. It is a perfect vehicle for me for doing some part time consulting work that will require some, but no more than a 7 hour commutes. This vehicle really suprised me on its ride and handling. It is a small crossover with a 1.4 L turbo that is averaging about 32mpg. I originally considered a hatchback, but this vehicle really fits my needs.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:03 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
If you currently own an SUV do you expect to eventually replace it with a car or another truck type vehicle?
As much as I hate paying for gas, I can't imagine myself going back to a car and definately not a van.
I might be willing to consider a small 4x4 pickup truck though.

Inspite of all SUV bashing that goes on they are really quite practical for some lifestyles.
I drive to somewhat remote offroad areas fairly often and its nice to drive something that can easily handle that.

The only real downside I have encountered is the fuel consumption.
i

Just wait, everyone and their mother are going to throw 3-4-5-6 cylinder diesels in every car they can. Especially since clean diesel and diesel DPF filters are technologically feasible. If o was a car maker I would throw a lot of effort in diesel/alternative fuel vehicles. I'm surprised Toyota Kia Nissan (imports) havent offered a diesel Tacoma. In fact most manufacturers offer diesel powered versions that only are available in gasoline engines here.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:16 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,246,104 times
I wonder what kind of mileage we would see with a diesel/electric hybrid

Old 08-21-2015, 05:22 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
I have 2005 Ford Escape and I am in the market for a new vehicle and I still like SUV's. I will more then likely buy Ford but the new Escape is to small. Expedition is to big so I am down to Edge or Explorer.

Old 08-22-2015, 06:21 AM

400 posts, read 573,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
i

Just wait, everyone and their mother are going to throw 3-4-5-6 cylinder diesels in every car they can. Especially since clean diesel and diesel DPF filters are technologically feasible. If o was a car maker I would throw a lot of effort in diesel/alternative fuel vehicles. I'm surprised Toyota Kia Nissan (imports) havent offered a diesel Tacoma. In fact most manufacturers offer diesel powered versions that only are available in gasoline engines here.
As much as I'd like to believe you, I'm pretty skeptical. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that diesel will never be viable here in the US, with much of the blame laying at the feet of the EPA. All the new emissions requirements, and resulting complex emissions technology, has added a layer of cost and maintenance to new diesels that just doesn't add up. The other issue is that the differential between gas and diesel prices here is a lot less than overseas. You can't make up the cost difference as fast. Gas cars will easily go to 200K these days, so the diesel engine longevity advantage is also getting smaller.

GM didn't help the cause either, introducing the POS diesels back in the early 80's that were lemons from the get go. That pretty much killed mainstream acceptance of diesel technology for a long time.

I'd love to buy a small efficient diesel. My family had a diesel Nissan Sentra while I was growing up. Two door, manual everything, and that thing got 60mpg. No joke. I drive a Nissan Frontier, and Nissan keeps playing with me and showing glimpses of the diesels they might bring to the US. We'll wait and see.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:12 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,214,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
If you currently own an SUV do you expect to eventually replace it with a car or another truck type vehicle?
As much as I hate paying for gas, I can't imagine myself going back to a car and definately not a van.
I might be willing to consider a small 4x4 pickup truck though.

Inspite of all SUV bashing that goes on they are really quite practical for some lifestyles.
I drive to somewhat remote offroad areas fairly often and its nice to drive something that can easily handle that.

The only real downside I have encountered is the fuel consumption.
I'm with you. Having trouble giving up my 97 220,000 Blazer but am looking to replace with something similar. Everything is on a car chassis now. I like my truck but def do not want a pick up.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:16 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,214,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
I just bought an SUV, now I realize as much as I hate the idea...I should have purchased a van or station wagon. They would have been better for loading kayaks.

Yes! Loading a kayak on my 97 Blazer is pretty easy. I notice that a lot of the other SUV's are a lot taller but I'm not sure I understand why? I have good ground clearance and people don't hit their heads on the inside. The Toyata Cruiser is crazy tall, I know a guy that carrys a step ladder to load his kayaks. Same with the Nissan Xterra - its supposed to be this fun biking, kayaking sort of vehicle but its to tall to load anything on.

Old 08-22-2015, 03:18 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,902,997 times
Currently have a 2002 Toyota Rav4 and a 2006 Honda CR-V. Plan on keeping both a few years and eventually would like to go with a bigger SUV. I really like Toyota Highlanders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive