Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 06:20 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times

Advertisements

My wife is sort of thinking to get another car. But she likes the higher ride height of a SUV. but we are not discounting a nice comfortable car either.
I actually like the Ford Taurus and the Hyundai Genesis. In SUV/truck she's thinking Passport or a lightly used Cayenne. The Cayenne was a out of the blue from left field option. I don't know much about them reliability etc. She just pointed it out as a car she liked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 07:12 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,690,879 times
I just bought an SUV, now I realize as much as I hate the idea...I should have purchased a van or station wagon. They would have been better for loading kayaks.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:42 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,330,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
I just bought an SUV, now I realize as much as I hate the idea...I should have purchased a van or station wagon. They would have been better for loading kayaks.
Does you SUV have a factory installed Roof Rack or can you find a Aftermarket Roof Rack for your SUV to mount kayaks on?
Here see if Thule make one for your make/Model/Year SUV OP or check out another company here is a link to the Thule site below:
Roof Racks - Thule

Old 07-03-2014, 08:50 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,112,347 times
Personally, I have a 2001 Mazda Tribute. I'm probably going to get another small SUV. As an avid skier, I need the interior storage room, the ground clearance and 4WD, as well as suspension that can take some abuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Does you SUV have a factory installed Roof Rack or can you find a Aftermarket Roof Rack for your SUV to mount kayaks on?
Here see if Thule make one for your make/Model/Year SUV OP or check out another company here is a link to the Thule site below:
Roof Racks - Thule
I suspect the problem is the height. SUV means the roof is higher, which means it's difficult to load things on the roof, especially by yourself.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:21 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
No, I'm right. I'm basing my argument on logic and math, not first person anecdotes.

My argument was never that SUVs have no benefit... my argument was the benefits that an SUV has over a hatchback or pick up are too few and too rare to justify the cost for an overwhelming amount of Americans. I'd wager 9 out of 10 Americans never need to use the "ground clearance" of an SUV on a consistent basis. How often does the average American family drive off-road? Don't worry I'll wait.

Cars and hatchbacks have a backseat also. They fit five passengers plus cargo.

I live in the snowbelt and I'm the first to tell anyone that SUV's height is is a complete waste of money. Off-road use is the only benefit. Most vehicles simply never leave roads.
I have owned full sized pickups, a number of cars (including hatchbacks) and now a SUV (Nissan Xterra). Pickups have their good points-a full size, 3/4-1 ton diesel is a top choice for heavy towing, and among the roomiest, most comfortable vehicles you will find for highway driving. They are also useful if you need an open bed for hauling things like ATVs or dirt bikes, or dirt/gravel/firewood/building materials on a regular basis. I miss mine when I have to haul a load of lumber. Otherwise though, compared to a SUV, they are kind of a PITA. Long and awkward in a parking lot. No enclosed, lockable storage. And the rear seating in most is not as comfortable as the rear seat of an SUV. Hatchbacks (particularly AWD ones) are useful for some people, no doubt. But most don't have the room, particularly head room, of an SUV. They also sit lower and are less comfortable for a large guy or older person to get in and out of. My wife's Outback required contortionist acts for a 6'3 guy to get in. Few hatchbacks have significant towing capacity, and their drivelines really aren't up for the abuse of regular towing. So if you want to haul your ATVs on a trailer, or a camper, chose carefully. Who wants to load stuff on a roof rack? You have the same problem you do with a pickup, your gear is unsecure and exposed to the elements.

Add insult to injury...most larger "crossovers" don't get significantly better mileage than an actual truck based (body on frame) SUV. I had considered a Mazda CX-5. My round trip commute is 85 miles, and I live in mountainous snow country, so AWD at a minimum is a necessity. My FWD was helpless when the weather turned to crap. Only thing it, it's still small and cramped (compared to the Xterra or any full size SUV), to get better mileage you have to get the underpowered base motor, towing capacity is nearly non-existent, and mileage really isn't that much better, nor is the purchase price much less. And of course inside storage is very limited. I don't know that it would be possible to hook up a trailer with our ATVs, and still be able to fit enough camping gear for a (comfortable) weekend in one. Unless I want to use my backpacking gear anyway. And forget carrying building materials. Also, most car-based crossovers are very limited in the weight they can carry. They are designed to carry at most 4 people. Loading significant weight will put you over the GVWR of most of them. I can see where a hatchback is fine for an apartment dweller in an urban environment, but not for most homeowners or those with an active lifestyle.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:26 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Like my 4Runner.

Comfy but capable 4x4.

Will always own an SUV and at least one sports car.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:29 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
My wife's crossover type (Caddy SRX) has the high vantage point and nice ride but lacks on cargo room.

My 4 Runner can fit 4 adults and my son's car seat comfortably AND my two collies AND luggage.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:30 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Many people choose the SUV because it's higher off the ground...but it's not for off-roading. It's for something they do every single time they drive the vehicle...get in and out of the vehicle.

When you have a car, it's usually lower to the ground and this makes most people have to sit down lower when they get into a car...and it's hard to get out of a vehicle that's lower to the ground...you have to push up as you are getting out of a car.

I got rid of my car and got an SUV. I sometimes felt 80 years old getting out of that little car. And about once per year I would hit my head in that little car. With the SUV, it's very easy to get in/out of the vehicle. Actually, that was a deciding factor in getting a SUV over a car. And the SUV gets better MPG than that little compact car.
Honestly, that's a huge factor for me. I've abused my body a bit over the years hiking the mountains, building stuff and riding motorcycles. I just don't bend and flex the way I used to. Stepping into (or UP into) a SUV or pickup isn't a problem. Contorting myself down into a lot of cars is. My wife's Outback was terrible-the doors are cut lower in the body than most cars and the seats were behind the B-pillar. It was an effort to get in and out. And after an hour in it (or most smaller/lower rigs) my knees and back are stiff. I don't have that problem with a taller SUV or truck.

Old 07-04-2014, 01:41 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,890,648 times
I've driven an SUV since I was 16. They are a drag on gas mileage and I don't lead-foot it for that reason which can get quite dull but I also drive my wife's sedan and don't feel a need to gas it because of red lights/stop signs/cops anyway. I'm sticking to an SUV because of utility. And yes I've used it to haul stuff from sod to lumber to furniture.

Old 07-04-2014, 02:35 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,394,271 times
I love SUVs, will get another one or a large pickup truck.

Sedans are too low for me. I hate bending down to get in and out. I don't mind for sports cars, but come on a Camry isn't a Corvette.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive