Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 10:12 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times

Advertisements

I've driven SUVs since I was 16. I drive my wife's Sonata from time to time to save gas (18mpg combined, not really saving much) but I do not like the seating position and it actually feels dull to me. Maybe a 500hp+ sedan (ahem M5) would be the only other way to go. Or I'll just get an X5M or Cayenne GTS next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 06:52 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
No, I'm right. I'm basing my argument on logic and math, not first person anecdotes.
Sortry, real world experience trumps wishful thinking on your part, you closedminded twit.

Last edited by Merc63; 05-14-2014 at 08:20 AM..

Old 05-14-2014, 07:48 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
If you currently own an SUV do you expect to eventually replace it with a car or another truck type vehicle?
As much as I hate paying for gas, I can't imagine myself going back to a car and definately not a van.
I might be willing to consider a small 4x4 pickup truck though.

Inspite of all SUV bashing that goes on they are really quite practical for some lifestyles.
I drive to somewhat remote offroad areas fairly often and its nice to drive something that can easily handle that.

The only real downside I have encountered is the fuel consumption.
I presently have a 2005 Ford Escape (110K miles) and my wife drives a 2009 Suzuki Gran Vitara (36K miles). I like SUV's and my next purchase will more then likely be another SUV. Only issue is the down sizing of vehicles that has been going on. As an example, the new Escape is small compared to mine so I would probably need to go to an Explorer to get the same size vehicle. I drive about 8K miles a year so fuel consumption is not an issue for me.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:58 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:

Cars do not get worse gas mileage than your SUV, unless you consider a Prius V an SUV. Cars will always get better fuel economy than SUV's due to height and weight. This is physics.
Wtf? Is this a real post?

My SUV : 17/22. Over the last 14,000 miles, I have averaged 21. Regular gas
My last 3 cars: 14/21 - really got about 17 (average over 30k miles)
16/26 - really got 18 (average over 18k miles)
18/25 - stuck at 18 for now, but only have 1000 miles on it
All the cars require premium gas.

The car I almost got was 13/21.

The numbers say one thing but I have never seen any of these cars get the top number DESPITE the fact that almost all my driving is highway. In fact, my cars are close to exclusively highway, while my SUV is the one I mix it up more in. I think you have to drive like gin-soaked grannie to get into the 20s in these sports cars.

My wife's SUV is 18/25.
My parents' SUV is 21/27.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:04 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Here is a list of cars that defy your strange universe of "physics."

2014 Best and Worst MPG Cars

Old 05-15-2014, 03:11 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,106,864 times
Quote:
Cars now are extremely safe. I don't think the "safety difference" (I don't think there is one with the increased rollover probability) is worth paying 50-100% more in purchase price, tire / wheel size, more frequent brake replacement, etc. and horrid gas mileage over the life of the vehicle.

Work is a different animal. But then it clasifies as a work vehicle and can be treated as such on your taxes.

My argument is pretty straightforward. The situations where people actually "need" SUVs are too few to justify their huge price difference over a standard car or hatch. Those rare occasions can be served by investing in a roof rack, hitch, trailor, or renting an SUV for $50 on the day you need that extra utility.

They can be useful in certain situations. My main argument was that the insane cost premium of an SUV won't justify the limited use for most people. You would be surprised what a car or hatchback can fit with a roof rack, hitch and small trailer. Like I said, financially it is usually worth just renting the SUV for the day.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm not speaking for all people... SUV's make sense for certain lifestyles (namely heavy towing, off road, etc). However, the average driver of an SUV in this country doesn't use the extra utility enough to justify the purchase from a sound financial analysis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Simply put, you're wrong. With the SUV owned, I can use it at any time, don't have to rent anything and deal with the hassles of renting (credit card deposits, making sure the rental agency has one, etc. And at $70-100 a day for an SUV rental, I can OWN mine for less per month than renting one every time I need it during the month). I can haul 4x8 sheets of plywood in it one weekend and go towing my 30 ft travel trailer the next, for less cost than renting one ONCE.

No, it's not.

And again, MY Suburban only cost me $6500. THat's not an "insane cost premium" and in fact it makes no sense NOT to own it.
No, he's actually correct.

If you read the boldfaced part above, then maybe you would realize that you are probably one of the exceptions that he's talking about.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:24 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post

If you read the boldfaced part above, then maybe you would realize that you are probably one of the exceptions that he's talking about.
If you read the word that comes before the boldfaced part, you would realize that he added that sentence AFTER he'd already posted.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:33 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,106,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
If you read the word that comes before the boldfaced part, you would realize that he added that sentence AFTER he'd already posted.
And if you read the time that Opinyunated edited his post, you would see that it was 6 minutes BEFORE Merc 63 posted his response on May 12.

Also, Merc63 posted another response to Opinyunated YESTERDAY (May 14) and still had not addressed the boldfaced part.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:58 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Wtf? Is this a real post?

My SUV : 17/22. Over the last 14,000 miles, I have averaged 21. Regular gas
My last 3 cars: 14/21 - really got about 17 (average over 30k miles)
16/26 - really got 18 (average over 18k miles)
18/25 - stuck at 18 for now, but only have 1000 miles on it
All the cars require premium gas.

The car I almost got was 13/21.

The numbers say one thing but I have never seen any of these cars get the top number DESPITE the fact that almost all my driving is highway. In fact, my cars are close to exclusively highway, while my SUV is the one I mix it up more in. I think you have to drive like gin-soaked grannie to get into the 20s in these sports cars.

My wife's SUV is 18/25.
My parents' SUV is 21/27.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Here is a list of cars that defy your strange universe of "physics."

2014 Best and Worst MPG Cars
Are these serious posts...?

Physics is physics. Moving a vehicle takes energy. An average sedan runs 3,000-3,500 lbs these days. An average SUV runs 3,500 lbs and up (most tip the scale at 4,000 lbs or so). SUVs are heavier than cars. A cars weight is the primary factor in the city MPG number. Given that SUVs are heavier, the car will take less energy (thus...gas) to move.

The second component is highway driving. Highway efficiency is based on drag, which is a function of the vehicle's shape and frontal area. SUVs sit higher, therefore have larger frontal area which is more drag (again, more gas).

Opinions do not trump physics.

And if you want to do comparisons.. my car gets 26 in the city and 38 on the highway. Good luck finding an SUV that matches that mileage.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:00 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Sortry, real world experience trumps wishful thinking on your part, you closedminded twit.
Insult noted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive