Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 11:56 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,008,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Still aren't "best at killing drivers," Dave. You're as bad as the OP at being a troll.
Yeah, ok

Old 05-15-2014, 11:58 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,298,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
There's a big difference between you and the OP. You are aware of GM's faults, and their strengths, and have made an informed decision regarding your purchases and can easily justify those purchases. You're not creating 10 threads a day spouting "GM is the best!" while bashing Toyota or any other foreign manufacturer, often times for the exact same things that GM does, but on a bigger scale, and completely ignoring that.

In other words, you can actually carry on a fair discussion in this forum. The OP cannot.
While I agree that the OP is trolling with it, I'm seeing a trend over the years that he is merely responding to, which is anti-domestic trolls doing the same from the opposite point of view. It's frankly sickening how single minded some other folks are here at that, and I'd be willing to bet that the OP is merely responding to that sentiment over the years here.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:08 PM

19,054 posts, read 27,620,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dartanian View Post
I totally agree with you . I have worked in an organization which does the engineering bit for GM and I must say they are the best OEMs in the Design & Safety dept and the engineering is impeccable leaving zero percent margin for error.

Good to know. As every time I started my Silverado in the morning... Glad it was just "impeccable engineering".

GM Piston Slap and Engine Knock Concerns, Lemon Law Rights for General Motors Truck Owners

Old 05-15-2014, 12:10 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,322,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Are you arguing for or against GM dependability?

I cannot think of ANY major automaker who's trucks cannot handle some light to moderate duty terrain, or who's trucks won't start or run well enough to get through light to moderate duty terrain. GM is certainly no more dependable than other automakers in this sense. Yet, when you NEED to use a handle or knob, it is only dependable if it doesn't break off in your hand.

You may be ok with this, but many people expect the handles and knobs to be dependable too.
OK, you didn't read my posting or is it that you didn't understand it. Hopefully you know the difference between dependability and quality (as the inspectors see it). I have owned, and rented at least 30 different vehicle brands over my life and I have made the decision that GM products are the most dependable that I have ever owned. In several million miles of driving I have never had a GM transmission fail or an axle fail or and engine go bad. That's why they were rated number one in dependability. In the quality area not so good. But given a choice I would rather buy a knob for $10 or a door handle for $25 then have a $3000 bill for a transmission.

The American consumer has been brain washed by the auto writers and magazines into thinking that they can not get a good car from GM or Ford. The consumer is very naive. Some writer sitting at a computer has the get 2000 words to his editor by midnight so that report of the new Toyota can make the paper by tomorrow. He knows that people will be more likely to read if it says a lot of good things about the car. So he writes what a great car it is. Because he wrote good things about a Toyota. Toyota gives him more Toyota's to write about and maybe even a kick back. Since GM and Ford doesn't give him cars and financial incentive he writes bad stories about them and the world turns.

BTW if you even doubt this then you haven't been paying attention to the way the press handles BO.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:11 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times
Quote:
While I agree that the OP is trolling with it, I'm seeing a trend over the years that he is merely responding to, which is anti-domestic trolls doing the same from the opposite point of view. It's frankly sickening how single minded some other folks are here at that, and I'd be willing to bet that the OP is merely responding to that sentiment over the years here.
The OP seems to not like anything that's made in a non-union plant, unless it's a "domestic" made in Mexico, then it seems to get a pass for some reason.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:14 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,106,413 times
Quote:
What you see as "responding to" everyone else sees as "instigating."

I don't think you'd argue that domestic brands as a whole are not as reliable as their Japanese and European counterparts. There's tons of data on that, from many different sources. Even a recent thread on here, asking who makes the better cars? Last I looked Japanese got like 65% of the vote, Germany got 25%, and America is a distant 3rd with about 10%. There were about 200 votes (far more people than who regularly post in this forum!) and only 1 in 10 would agree that the US makes the best cars.

Rather than simply accept it, the domestic trolls here just keep yammering on and annoying everyone, even other domestic owners who have a bit more sense.

Spamming the automotive forum isn't going to change anyone's mind about what they think about GM or any other brand.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:19 PM

31,088 posts, read 22,101,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
GM lead global sales from 1937-2007,2011,2012 is that better... How do they do this if they are "the best at killing drivers"? I've owned 6 GM vehicles and ONLY GM and it will be that way until I stop driving.
Well, the best at 'attempting to kill people' honor, in my opinion would go to the 1987-1990 Nissan Minivan. It was the only 100% Buyback vehicle I have ever heard of Nissan attempted to buy back every vehicle sold in this country. When I worked for them we called them the "matchbox". It was not a matter of 'if' the vehicle would catch fire, it was only of 'when'.

Nissan to Buy Back 33,000 Defective Minivans : Autos: All owners will receive up to $7,000. The action on the fire-prone vehicle could cost more than $200 million. - Los Angeles Times

""They knew about the problem for seven years and didn't do anything about it," said Kane, who has assisted in lawsuits filed against Nissan."

It's fairly obvious when everyone of the vehicles sold will catch fire sometime in it's life

Last edited by LS Jaun; 05-15-2014 at 12:31 PM..

Old 05-15-2014, 12:19 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,106,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
The consumer is very naive. Some writer sitting at a computer has the get 2000 words to his editor by midnight so that report of the new Toyota can make the paper by tomorrow. He knows that people will be more likely to read if it says a lot of good things about the car. So he writes what a great car it is. Because he wrote good things about a Toyota. Toyota gives him more Toyota's to write about and maybe even a kick back. Since GM and Ford doesn't give him cars and financial incentive he writes bad stories about them and the world turns.

BTW if you even doubt this then you haven't been paying attention to the way the press handles BO.
Yes, some consumers are extremely naive. Remember to wear that tin foil hat at all times.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:21 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,298,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
What you see as "responding to" everyone else sees as "instigating."
I agreed that he is trolling with his posts.

Quote:
I don't think you'd argue that domestic brands as a whole are not as reliable as their Japanese and European counterparts. There's tons of data on that, from many different sources. Even a recent thread on here, asking who makes the better cars? Last I looked Japanese got like 65% of the vote, Germany got 25%, and America is a distant 3rd with about 10%. There were about 200 votes (far more people than who regularly post in this forum!) and only 1 in 10 would agree that the US makes the best cars.

Rather than simply accept it, the domestic trolls here just keep yammering on and annoying everyone, even other domestic owners who have a bit more sense.

Spamming the automotive forum isn't going to change anyone's mind about what they think about GM or any other brand.
My point is you get people like victimofGM and outafocus saying that no American car is decent, and no American car is reliable and I amongs many others here have had many that were perfectly reliable and great cars. I'm sorry, but youre basically saying that our direct personal expereince is merely anecdotal, while anti-domestic experience is fact and not anecdotal at all ("my cousin's girlfriend's best friend's, brother's neighbor had a domestic that was constantly in the shop, therefore domestics are crap and I'll only own Japanese" is somehow factual information but "my domestic car has been perfectly relaible at 120k miles and my other one went 323k miles without issue" is anecdotal and should be dismissed, right?).

It gets tiring to see so much one sided, biased crap that sometims we DO want to respond with similar one sided crap just to balance it out. Funny thing is peopel li eyou ONLY bash those that are on MrWilly's side, and completely ignore the same crap coming from imported fanbois.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:22 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,208,672 times
I have driven GM cars since I was 16 and I am now 46.I have had A LOT.

I also worked for Chevy since age 18 at Chevy dealers. I have never had a bad experience with their cars other than my last one which was a 2009 HHR/SS. They were plagued with turbo boost issues among many other warranty issues. I kept it 4 years and traded it in after too many issues. Fast car but very cheaply built.

I think GM ,the corporate part, was run horribly as evidenced by them almost going out of business. Just another larger company run poorly. Maybe they have changed ,maybe not. I have moved on to a different car maker and am very happy and will not be back......but i still wont trash the cars or call them junk......because they are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive