Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 12:28 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,784,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
In 2012 we weren't yet aware they were actively covering up a fatal vehicle flaw.

I'd agree though, "best at killing people" is pretty juvenile.
So you and all your imaginary GM hater friends all bought GM vehicles 2012? Or went back in time and bought the Cobalts, G5s and HHRs involved in the ignition switch scandal?

You are trolling plain and simple. Here are last month's sales results in the US:

GM: 254,076
Ford: 210,355
Chrysler: 178,652

Toyota: 199,660
Honda: 142,456
Nissan: 103,934

Look who is on top.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:39 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,135,918 times
I have found that people who defend the Detroit 3 are usually people who have never owned a non Detroit car. They buy Detroit because of habit, misplaced patriotism, or hatred of cultures not their own. A union person will also defend their actions to the death.

I bought Detroit vehicles for more decades than I like to admit. It took a lot of convincing by friends and family who bought Japanese makes, and Consumer Reports, a magazine I have read since 1972 to convince me to give the Japanese cars a try. After I bought my first Japanese car, I realized the problems I always considered normal are not when a car is carefully engineered, and built properly. When I bought my first American made Japanese make, I was delighted to realize that Americans CAN build good cars when they are not saddled by a greedy corrupt union.

The US based Japanese plants employ people willing to give a good day's work for a good day's pay. If the worker gets lazy, and apathetic like UAW members are notorious for, they are fired! If they do a good job, they get promoted, and get raises in pay! Toyota has a plant here in San Antonio. It was built on a not so nice area of town. Since then, that area has improved to one of the nicer areas of town! Of course, that area of town at it's worst was never as bad as Detroit is now.

When the government, and a union run things, only bad can happen. I see the taxpayers of this country keeping at least GM going. GM should have been left to fail, as does any other company that is badly run, badly staffed, and turns out inferior products.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:45 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,106,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
My point is you get people like victimofGM and outafocus saying that no American car is decent, and no American car is reliable and I amongs many others here have had many that were perfectly reliable and great cars. I'm sorry, but youre basically saying that our direct personal expereince is merely anecdotal, while anti-domestic experience is fact and not anecdotal at all
I've never said anything of the sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
It gets tiring to see so much one sided, biased crap that sometims we DO want to respond with similar one sided crap just to balance it out. Funny thing is peopel li eyou ONLY bash those that are on MrWilly's side, and completely ignore the same crap coming from imported fanbois.
I certainly do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
All dealerships jack up the prices on OEM parts. Mercedes, Aston Martin, and Ferrari have the highest markups on parts I've ever seen. Porsche, Range Rover, and BMW get a dishonorable mention. Feel lucky you drive a Toyota when it comes to repairs, it's all relative!

Chrysler/Jeep aren't too bad for most stuff, but certain items are outrageous too.
Quote:
The first gen Durango had transmission issues. However, the 2nd gen with the 545RFE 5 spd auto was better, than transmission is used in a LOT of Chrysler vehicles with no issues. It looks like 2007 was the year of the update for the Durango too, so that would be the most updated choice among your list.

They do tend to be gas guzzlers in relation to their size (which was a criticism of Jeep models during that time as well), but other than that I have not heard anything bad about the 2nd gen Durango.

This link shows that the 2007 Durango was pretty reliable. Dodge Durango Problems & Complaints | DodgeProblems.com
Quote:
The drivetrain of the Jeep (especially with the 4.0 engine) is extremely stout.

The main problems people have with Jeeps are little electrical issues, like the radio going out, or the window regulators failing. Nothing that would prevent you from getting from A to B.

It's a good choice for a 16 yr old's first car. Even if something does break, parts are cheap and plentiful, and the car itself is very easy to work on yourself if he is mechanically inclined at all (since you bought a Jeep, I'm guessing someone in your family knows their way around a car and already knows this.)
I could post more of my previous posts bashing foreign makes and their problems too. I have no problems being impartial. I've owned domestic, European, and Asian makes. I think most of the "domestic bashing" would go away if a certain poster wasn't allowed to post his trolling crap anymore.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:48 PM

31,086 posts, read 22,101,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
I have driven GM cars since I was 16 and I am now 46.I have had A LOT.

I also worked for Chevy since age 18 at Chevy dealers. I have never had a bad experience with their cars other than my last one which was a 2009 HHR/SS. They were plagued with turbo boost issues among many other warranty issues. I kept it 4 years and traded it in after too many issues. Fast car but very cheaply built.

I think GM ,the corporate part, was run horribly as evidenced by them almost going out of business. Just another larger company run poorly. Maybe they have changed ,maybe not. I have moved on to a different car maker and am very happy and will not be back......but i still wont trash the cars or call them junk......because they are not.
So you have a lot of expereince with the good and the bad being on the front line at a dealer.

Personally, I buy them all: Toyotas, Chevys, Nissans, Hondas, Fords and Mazdas, and I will likely continue to buy those makes. I would take a Chevy truck over a Titan any day of the week but would probably take a Sentra over a Cobalt and a corolla over either one. The point being you can find good and not so good vehicles amongst all the major manufactureres.

The only make(Large manf) of vehicle that I would never own again would be a Mitsubishi or a front wheel drive Chrysler product, Truck or Challenger would be ok.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:52 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,208,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
So you have a lot of expereince with the good and the bad being on the front line at a dealer.

I could write a book! Lol.

I am a car guy and I like cars from just about any manufacturer. I am not a hater. I see so many people on forums arguing about what's a better car or America vs Japan......

Who cares? Like what you like and drive what you like. No?

Old 05-15-2014, 12:54 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,998,195 times
Something I've wondered when it comes to sales numbers is the breakdown by each brand separately. For instance, instead of a sole GM sales figure, compare Chevy vs. Toyota. Or Cadillac vs Infiniti. I say this because comparing GM (US market) which has 4 different brands to Toyota which has 2 brands, seems a bit off. Also, I wonder how many of the sales are fleet vehicles such as rental cars, police cars, businesses, etc.

I'd love to see sales numbers of actual brands sold to individuals. I thought of this a while ago when on a rental lot seeing nothing but Chevrolet cars everywhere (Hertz).

Old 05-15-2014, 12:55 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,592,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Good to know. As every time I started my Silverado in the morning... Glad it was just "impeccable engineering".

GM Piston Slap and Engine Knock Concerns, Lemon Law Rights for General Motors Truck Owners
Piston slap is common and will not damage the vehicle if it goes away within a minute. My tahoe does it and it's gone in under a minute and has 190,000 miles on it. Other auto manufacturers have engines with piston slap also.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:02 PM

285 posts, read 541,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian awlak View Post
The new GM is not the old GM at all. IT'S nothing. It bilked millions of dollars from taxpayers thru corruption, and the Devil will take the company down.
I refuse to buy anything from GM (Government Motors). They screwed bond holders and suppliers and all with Obozo's help.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:03 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
What GM proclaims about itself really is meaningless. What company is going to write on their own website "We suck, build garbage, and laugh all the way to the bank as our cars rot broken down on the side of the road." The last source of information should be any company's own marketing department. They are trained, skilled, and paid to put paint really good looking lipstic on their corporate pigs.

However, there are TONS of bad indicators all over the place showing GM as a substandard company.

Not just recalls, not just bad quality or reliability scores, not just being thrown under the bus by tier 1 suppliers, not just widespread perception... but a combination of all of this put together.

Yes, all automakers have their share of issues and problems. Some just have more problems, more frequent problems, and are consistently problematic.
Oh yeah, that and a defect cover-up that may well lead to criminal charges before all is said and done. Anyone have any doubt any more why Dan Akerson woke up one day and said "I'm outta here, and good luck Mary!" and ran back to the Carlyle Group?

Old 05-15-2014, 01:11 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,299,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Anyone have any doubt any more why Dan Akerson woke up one day and said "I'm outta here, and good luck Mary!" and ran back to the Carlyle Group?
Reminds me of Alan Greenspan running away when the foreclosure rates started to rise in 06? do you think they'll get fined like Toyota with a clause not admitting guilt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive