Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 08:45 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times

Advertisements

If my car starts making noises, there is something wrong with it. A loud vehicle is either poor design or poor maintenance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 10:17 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,293,496 times
For safety, best the car engine and exhaust be quiet. Then you can hear things which could be a danger to you or others. Emergency vehicle, wheel about to fall off car, drive shaft about to fall off, brakes grinding, etc.

And good to remember what the car/engine NORMALLY sounds like. If it suddenly begins to sound differently, there may be a problem and best to check the car.

I have caught many mechanical problems by keeping my stereo low and being able to hear something about to go out.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:12 AM

13,634 posts, read 10,038,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreecity View Post
Some cars actually do a little bit of sound engineering to get a pleasant exhaust note played into the cabin. Some use special valves or noise pipes that let some of the exhaust noise into the cabin under certain circumstances. Others use a prerecorded soundtrack stored on the cars hard drive and play the appropriate exhaust note through the speakers.

From a car designers point of view there is a certain logic to this. Sometimes drivers want peace and quiet and other times they want to hear the engine roar. How do you provide both?

The Rise of the Fake Engine Roar - Popular Mechanics

Faking It: Engine-Sound Enhancement Explained - Tech Dept. - Car and Driver
Those two links gave me a really good laugh.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:22 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Most loud exhausts are just annoying because they do nothing for performance. It's just loud to be loud. I can cut off the muffler off my truck and straight pipe it. Now its loud. But it does nothing for performance or power. It's just loud but has absolutely no advantages.
I've had vehicles with "loud" exhausts. Not one time has that exhaust been in any way a deterrent to people cutting me off or some safety addition. My horn does more to get people's attention than a loud exhaust ever did or would.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:27 PM

6,564 posts, read 7,145,772 times
My 6.2 in my Mercedes sounds just awesome with the top down. AMG spends $$ on the the exhaust sounds. The SLS is the best sounding car I've ever heard.

Old 06-08-2014, 01:49 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,713,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Let’s delve into the psychology of sound, and the car.

I was just thinking this may be of some interest.

How important is the sound that a car makes?

Do you think that it adds to a car's safety?

Can you describe the feeling you get from a certain car's, or engine's sound?

Hmmm, well it depends on the car. If I am driving a Corolla then I would want something quiet and simple but if I am driving a Corvette I would want a throaty loud V8 exhaust. Just something about having that muscle car with a sick exhaust, along with other possible upgrades, just makes me enjoy the drive that much more.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:29 PM

2,778 posts, read 5,168,549 times
I love the tictac sound of small diesel engines at low speed...and even more the huge torque capabilities...

Don't care about sound pollution through modified mufflers of insecure/immature drivers.

The true adrenaline pumping engine sound when accelerating can only come from an 8 (or more) cylinder. The Northstar engine had a nice sound in the Aurora (short lived model).

Old 06-08-2014, 06:51 PM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
I know I'm in trouble when it makes no sound.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:03 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,903,717 times
Love that distinctive boxer throaty burble from my WRX. Stock system; no coffee can muffler.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:03 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
Well, since I grew up on hot rods and muscle cars, the sound a car makes is VERY important to me. Like the saying goes, " If you have to ask you wouldn't understand anyway." My Sons and don't have a quiet car in the bunch.

I also subscribe to the philosophy that loud pipes save lives. At least they know we are coming.

013 - YouTube

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive