Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 04:30 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,824,867 times

Advertisements

everyone is trying to make the claim that since the yellow was out, everyone should have been going much slower, but they dont take into account when did the yellow come out? what are the track/sanctioning body rules regarding caution periods? for instance in nascar and indy car, whent eh yellow flag comes out, the entire field is frozen, and slows down to pace lap speeds, but it wasnt always that way. in the old days in nascar you raced back to the caution, because you might be able to get a lap back, to even possibly take the lead in the race, or pick up a position or two.

and those may have been the rules the race in question was run under. also as a competitor, if you are spun out, or otherwise wreck on track, YOU DO NOT GET OUT OF YOUR CAR until the safety crews show up, unless your car is on fire. and if you do get out of your car, you sure as heck DO NOT WALK OUT ON THE TRACK until the pace car has collected the field.

sorry, tony stewart may be an A$$, but i seriously doubt that he intended the kid any harm. and trust me i am no fan of stewarts.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:32 PM

6,988 posts, read 4,809,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
No no noooo.. He stepped on the gas, knowing very well that the car slides towards the kid. He is a very experienced driver, and has an ego from here to the moon and back.
It has nothing to with the kid being on the track or not. That does not give anybody the right to just run over him.
If a person walks on the interstate, you can not just drive over him/her.
How can it have nothing to do with the kid being on the track?? If he stayed in his car where he belonged, he wouldn't have been run over.

Tragic and sad, certainly--a waste of a young life. But it doesn't look to me as if Stewart "just ran over him". Bottom line, the stupid kid had no business being in the middle of the track, IMO.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:19 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,579,035 times
About as dumb as running onto a crowded freeway while it is raining.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:25 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Tony Stewart spun him out on the prior lap. That's why he got out of his car.....
That's an extraordinarily BAD reason. What's the plan? He's either going to force Tony to come to a stop by getting in the path of the car so they can have it out, or Tony is going to drive past him unable to hear whatever he has to say in any case. I guess he could shoot him the finger. I saw some really stupid things during my 12 years of Saturday night dirt track racing, but I am not sure if I ever saw anything as stupid as this.

I remember racing a "B" main in a weekend big show. The top four got to go to the "A" and I was fourth. I was deliberately spun out by the guy running fifth. I guess he wanted to make the "A" pretty badly. It sucked, but that's racing, not worth committing suicide over.

Don in Austin

Old 08-10-2014, 05:28 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,761,293 times
I dont know if he was trying to spray mud on him or just zip by him before he could do something like throw his helmet at him or jump on the car but he definitely didnt slow down.

Either way it was stupid to walk out into traffic. You get what you put in.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:48 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,909,043 times
There's also the question of visibility with the angle the kid was coming from and the wing on Stewart's car potentially blocking his view. Amazing to see all of the "experts" trying to fry the guy before we know the facts. SMH...

Old 08-10-2014, 06:17 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,249,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
That's an extraordinarily BAD reason. What's the plan? He's either going to force Tony to come to a stop by getting in the path of the car so they can have it out, or Tony is going to drive past him unable to hear whatever he has to say in any case. I guess he could shoot him the finger. I saw some really stupid things during my 12 years of Saturday night dirt track racing, but I am not sure if I ever saw anything as stupid as this.

I remember racing a "B" main in a weekend big show. The top four got to go to the "A" and I was fourth. I was deliberately spun out by the guy running fifth. I guess he wanted to make the "A" pretty badly. It sucked, but that's racing, not worth committing suicide over.

Don in Austin
Bad reason or not, Tony Stewart is guilty of the same sort of confrontations with other drivers. He walked out on the track and threw his helmet at another driver once, but there is so much more he has done.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:20 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,249,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

and those may have been the rules the race in question was run under. also as a competitor, if you are spun out, or otherwise wreck on track, YOU DO NOT GET OUT OF YOUR CAR until the safety crews show up, unless your car is on fire. and if you do get out of your car, you sure as heck DO NOT WALK OUT ON THE TRACK until the pace car has collected the field.
I see them get out of their car all the time before the safety crew gets there, whether they are supposed to or not. I've also seen them walk across the track to pit road, refusing to ride in the ambulance.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:59 PM

17,567 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Bad reason or not, Tony Stewart is guilty of the same sort of confrontations with other drivers. He walked out on the track and threw his helmet at another driver once, but there is so much more he has done.
Once? lol..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mRY79mat34

There's the one where he tried to jump in Kenny Irwin's car.

Helmet throws.. At least Kenseth at Bristol in 2012. That was the Allan Bestwick "Southpaw" comment you hear every year.

Spun both Gordon and Harvick on pit row after the race if I'm not mistaken.

I don't think it was on purpose either.. But.. He could have issues in the upcoming lawsuit (You know it's coming) because of these prior incidents.

Any form of racing, you're supposed to stay in the car with your belts buckled until the safety crew tells you to exit, unless you're on fire or concerned about fire. Dropping the window net(On stock cars) lets them know you're OK and not to put themselves in unnecessary risk coming to check on you.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:21 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,984 times
Quote:
I am not saying I am a Tony Stewart fan. But that he has been a confrontational jerk in other situations doesn't have much to do with this particular situation.

Its perfectly normal for fights to break out in stock car racing but it is NOT normal to confront a moving race car.

Don in Austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive