Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2014, 10:26 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,280,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1 View Post
TS is an experienced veteran driver, hence, he could have avoided hitting Ward plain and simple. I hope TS pays for this in more ways than one.
I seriously doubt he could pay any greater price than living with the knowledge that he was involved in the tragic death of another human being despite the fact that it was the other human being's actions that resulted in his death.
Quote:

Stewart may not be out of the legal woods yet, CBS News legal analyst Jack Ford told "CBS This Morning."

"They're going to look at all possibilities here," Ford said. "There could be some type of charges out of here that don't focus on intent."
In other words, Stewart might have not meant it, but there is still the possibility of charges like criminally negligent homicide if prosecutors can prove Stewart was "ignoring obvious risk," Ford said.
Prosecutors are going to have a very hard time proving that Ward is dead for any other reason than the fact that he himself ignored obvious risk. I mean honestly, what was Stewart supposed to do? Stop a half lap back in anticipation of a guy he knew nothing about jumping out of his car and running to the middle of the track?

The ironic thing is that if he really did have some sort of magical powers that told him he should do that the anti-Stewart crowd would be deriding him for being scared to face Ward.
Quote:

Stewart got in a helmet-throwing incident two years ago and made a statement that could play a role here: "I checked up twice not to run over him. And I learned my lesson there, and I'm going to run over him every chance I got until the end of the year. Every chance I got."

What's next for Tony Stewart after fatal track accident? - CBS News
Every clear-headed, rational human being who heard or read that statement understood that it was a metaphor used to state that he wouldn't be giving any quarter on the track. No prosecutor would be foolish enough to try to make a connection between that statement and Ward's death.

But the sensationalist media and the anti-Stewart fanboys will do it all day long.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:07 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Thanks. The visibility looks pretty tough and by the way he's jerking the steering wheel back and forth the handling looks challenging, too.
yep, sprint cars are some of the most evil handling cars in racing. i think only short wheelbase fuel altereds are worse.

Quote:
TS is an experienced veteran driver, hence, he could have avoided hitting Ward plain and simple. I hope TS pays for this in more ways than one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
No, it's not that plain nor simple. Even the most experienced driver can't account for the actions of an erratic hothead who gets out of his car and deliberately puts himself in harm's way, especially in very limited-visibility, limited-traction circumstances.
drover is right, even the most experienced drivers are not perfect. dale earnhardt was highly experienced, but he died at daytona at the end of the race. neil bonnet was a highly experienced driver, and he died in practice at daytona. ayrton senna was a highly experienced driver, and he died in a formula one race, as did elio deangeles, and many other race car drivers who were highly experienced, but died behind the wheel of their race cars.

whether or not you like tony stewart, in the end you have to admit that tony didnt do this on purpose, and wont be prosecuted regardless of how much you hate him. there is nothing criminal here.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:35 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,326,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I see them get out of their car all the time before the safety crew gets there, whether they are supposed to or not. I've also seen them walk across the track to pit road, refusing to ride in the ambulance.
That doesn't make it right. And there's no question that his behavior was a direct cause of his death. It's very sad but I don't know why everyone is talking about Stewart being a hot head. Obviously the younger man also had anger control issues.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:31 AM

78,448 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:

Stewart may not be out of the legal woods yet, CBS News legal analyst Jack Ford told "CBS This Morning."

"They're going to look at all possibilities here," Ford said. "There could be some type of charges out of here that don't focus on intent."
In other words, Stewart might have not meant it, but there is still the possibility of charges like criminally negligent homicide if prosecutors can prove Stewart was "ignoring obvious risk," Ford said.

Stewart got in a helmet-throwing incident two years ago and made a statement that could play a role here: "I checked up twice not to run over him. And I learned my lesson there, and I'm going to run over him every chance I got until the end of the year. Every chance I got."

What's next for Tony Stewart after fatal track accident? - CBS News
Wow, talk about hate blinding you.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:05 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,639,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Tony Stewart spun him out on the prior lap. That's why he got out of his car. Also, they were under caution; it's not like it was in the middle of a race like someone else said. The yellow flag was out so he probably didn't think he'd get run over at the edge of the track under caution.
He wasn't at the edge of the track, he was in the center of it. The front part of his car was sort of at the edge of the track, he was way down below the back of his car, IN THE RACING LINE. If he had been 4 feet up the track we wouldn't be having this conversation, he ran down the track into racing line, tony was behind another car who swerved at the last second to avoid the idiot kid.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:18 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,299,576 times
For those that don't know, Sprint Cars can't "stop" because they have no neutral, no transmissions. They stop and the engine stops. Direct drive. Also, since on a race track it is SOP to maintain your speed under yellow, if one were to stop there likely would be a collision. A driver has to pull out of line or down to the pits if they want to stop. The seats allow very little movement in respect to vision.

Sprint cars only really "steer" by mashing the throttle and when you want the car to go LEFT, you need to remember the rear of the car goes RIGHT first.

TS did not have time to react, as he wasn't in front like the first car was. The first care BARELY cleared the guy as it was and then suddenly he's there running AT TS's car in the middle of the racing lane. In the dark. In a dark suit. It's like you have a well signaled work zone in the right lane and shoulder of a four lane highway, then you encounter a worker who forgot all of his high-vis safety gear standing outside of the workzone in the third lane, running towards your car like a madman after popping out from behind the car in front of you.

And again, there was nothing in the move that TS or Ward made the lap previous that would make TS angry about anything, as Ward had done nothing to TS, and TS had the line already and ward simply failed to let up when he was near the wall. So saying TS was mad at ward and ran him over is retarded. It's simply outside the realm of possibility. Anybody who thinks this was intentional on any level has literally no sense of how this whole thing was conducted. Stewart was oblivious to the fact that Ward was there. There was no radio communication from a spotter or crew chief telling him to watch out for a guy in the track. He may have been removing a visor tear-off with one hand on the wheel at the moment for all we know. Stewart has had a past history of being passionate and telling I like it is, but he's a man with a massive sense of professionalism and has more of a grasp on the sport than probably anybody. He owns and operates one of the most famous dirt tracks in the country (not this one) and would never intentionally do anything remotely like this. People saying he murdered this kid, "clearly swerved into him on purpose", etc really need to stop. This was a tragic accident and nothing more.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:35 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,280,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
People saying he murdered this kid, "clearly swerved into him on purpose", etc really need to stop.
I agree.

But you know as well as I do that they won't stop, now or probably ever. 10 years from now, these same folks will be claiming that they hate Tony Stewart specifically because he "got away with murder" despite the fact that they already hated him before this tragic incident took place.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:59 AM

807 posts, read 1,034,029 times
Stewart did it on purpose, he caused his car to fishtail hitting the kid. You can see in the video when the kid was on the track pointing his finger at Stewart as he came closer, the kid suddenly tried to jump back because it seemed Stewart's car changed its course to hit him.

No doubt the kid was stupid to get on the track, but Stewart is a hot headed redneck that was probably trying to scare the kid. Hope he goes to jail. But probably won't, rich people don't go to jail unless they steal from other rich people. Killing a commoner doesn't matter to them.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:00 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,473,854 times
^ dumb post of the year award

Old 08-12-2014, 08:38 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,299,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
Stewart did it on purpose, he caused his car to fishtail hitting the kid. You can see in the video when the kid was on the track pointing his finger at Stewart as he came closer, the kid suddenly tried to jump back because it seemed Stewart's car changed its course to hit him.

No doubt the kid was stupid to get on the track, but Stewart is a hot headed redneck that was probably trying to scare the kid. Hope he goes to jail. But probably won't, rich people don't go to jail unless they steal from other rich people. Killing a commoner doesn't matter to them.

Tony had no reason to be mad at the kid, no reason to even know who it was coming down the track to his car IF he even saw him in time, which is doubtful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive