Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 02:23 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,287,522 times

Advertisements

I am talking about 6-7" screen. They could go upwards of a $1000 but can be had for $500 or so too. The installation is my concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 03:54 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,999,315 times
I've known people to upgrade to double-din nav units. There are some really cheap, crappy ones out there, but there are also some really nice ones out there. Installation of these units is definitely more involved. If you are familiar with installing aftermarket radios to begin with, you should be ok as long as you follow the instructions. If this is all foreign to you, I would recommend leaving the installation to a professional.

For an overall view of the radios out there, check out crutchfield.com. Sometimes you can find prices cheaper elsewhere, but for reviews and videos and the like, crutchfield is tough to beat.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:11 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,108,329 times
I put a Pioneer AVIC X850BT in my car. Between that and the installation kit, it was around $900. Labor to install was going to be another $600, so I decided to do it myself. Installing the radio itself is fairly easy if you have an installation kit that gives you the harnesses you need, then you just splice the wires together. The hard part for me was connecting all the ancillary stuff, the GPS sensor, alarm sensor, microphone, iPod cable, etc... and making it all look factory. That's what took the majority of the time.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:34 AM

That's exactly why I am willing to pay someone to install it for me. I am going to stop by a local shop today and ask about it. I wonder how they react if I want to bring my own receiver.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:42 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,108,329 times
If I'd had no experience doing this sort of thing, I'd have definitely paid someone else. I used to work for a car audio store a long time ago, so I've done a lot of installs for myself and others. If you know what you're doing it's a good way to save money, but doing it right takes time. Installing the microphone for the bluetooth phone was probably the hardest part, putting it in the factory location was a bear.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
That's exactly why I am willing to pay someone to install it for me. I am going to stop by a local shop today and ask about it. I wonder how they react if I want to bring my own receiver.
Some places will allow it and some won't. It can't hurt to ask. I know that some places will offer free or really cheap installation if you buy the unit from them. This can be nice because if you have a problem with the unit, you can take it back to them. If you buy a unit elsewhere and have this shop install it, they won't really be able to help you if you have problems. They might even charge you to have it taken out so you can return it for repairs. Sometimes paying a little more can have its benefits and peace of mind. Of course, it depends on how much more it really is.

just my .02 for brands to stay away from.

Pyle
Jensen
Audiovox (don't even know if they make nav units)
Boss
Kenwood (the cheaper ones - I've heard good things about the higher end ones)
Clarion (just like kenwood, the higher end ones are fine)

Brands I do like and prefer

Alpine
Eclipse
Pioneer
Clarion
Kenwood

Old 08-15-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
This can be nice because if you have a problem with the unit, you can take it back to them.
Excellent point. I just stopped by the place. They were the nicest they can be. He said you can bring in your unit and he'll install it for just a 100 bucks, and that includes all adaptors and hook ups to my satellite radio antenna. Well worth it. He carries Kenwood and if his markup is not crazy high I will let them handle the whole thing. No need to inject myself into the process for a few bucks.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:12 PM

Just put down a deposit for a Kenwood. Something like this. Decided to let them get the unit and other bits and pieces themselves. Has camera hook up too. It is gonna set me back $1200 out the door but hey I don't do this everyday.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:19 PM

very cool. You should like it. Do you plan on hooking up any amplifiers or anything?

Old 08-15-2014, 02:47 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,820,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
I put a Pioneer AVIC X850BT in my car. Between that and the installation kit, it was around $900. Labor to install was going to be another $600, so I decided to do it myself. Installing the radio itself is fairly easy if you have an installation kit that gives you the harnesses you need, then you just splice the wires together. The hard part for me was connecting all the ancillary stuff, the GPS sensor, alarm sensor, microphone, iPod cable, etc... and making it all look factory. That's what took the majority of the time.
I also put in a double din Pioneer into my truck myself too. Took around 1-2 hours. Hardest part was figuring out how to take off the dashboard (I had to remove the whole thing). The harnesses that came with the stereo made installation a piece of cake, I think it was all plug and play.

OP: If I didn't have any knowledge of taking electronic stuff apart then I think $100 is a great deal for installation. I know you said it has camera hookup, but does that price actually include the installation of the camera? It's pretty labor-intensive to wire it from the rear bumper/trunk all the way to the receiver. I'd be scared the installer will take the lazy route at that price and route the wire under the car instead of underneath trim pieces inside the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive