Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 09:58 PM

656 posts, read 1,341,345 times

Advertisements

Majority of Swift trucks (unless they've changed something with their 2014 orders) are still 9Cs. Werner seemed to like the 10T2 (top 2 automatic) trucks (which, like a 9C, convert over to a 13 speed), although I'm not sure if Eaton still offers those. No dealings with Prime, so I can't comment on their fleet. My company purchased five of the T680s with the MX13 engines and Eaton Smart Shifts. They've been met with a less than enthusiastic reception. The 10 speed reigns supreme in this fleet, although, with the way they're gearing these trucks (13 liter engines with 3.08 - 3.36 rears), the 13 speed would be a much better choice... if we had much better drivers.
The one I drive on the side has a five-and-a-quarter N14, 3.73s with 285/75R24.5s, 18 speed, and is ungoverned. I can't give a shout to our company drivers on the CB anymore because they get butthurt when I pass them and complain across the street... the people across the street can't do anything about it because the truck I drive has absolutely nothing to do with the company I turn wrenches for.
Though what really kills me is how many of these truck drivers can operate a 9, 10, 13, etc. speed transmission, yet can never seem to figure out how to operate this:

Seriously... what manner of witchcraft is this?
As for me, I've run (in Class 8 trucks), the Allison 6 and 7 speeds, a seven speed Eaton synchromesh transmission (this was in a former CF single axle cabover), 8LL, 9 speed, 10 speed, 13 speed, 15 speed, 18 speed, and 5x4 and 6x4 twin sticks. I'm partial to the 18, especially when you can compound it with an additional four speed auxiliary.
Only experience with the autoshifts was driving a couple of them around the yard in bobtail tractors.. not really much to make a judgement off of. I'm hoping for a chance to try out the I-Shift and TC10 at some point (although I've yet to see a TC10 in use, unfortunately).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 10:21 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mire View Post
Majority of Swift trucks (unless they've changed something with their 2014 orders) are still 9Cs. Werner seemed to like the 10T2 (top 2 automatic) trucks (which, like a 9C, convert over to a 13 speed), although I'm not sure if Eaton still offers those. No dealings with Prime, so I can't comment on their fleet. My company purchased five of the T680s with the MX13 engines and Eaton Smart Shifts. They've been met with a less than enthusiastic reception. The 10 speed reigns supreme in this fleet, although, with the way they're gearing these trucks (13 liter engines with 3.08 - 3.36 rears), the 13 speed would be a much better choice... if we had much better drivers.
The one I drive on the side has a five-and-a-quarter N14, 3.73s with 285/75R24.5s, 18 speed, and is ungoverned. I can't give a shout to our company drivers on the CB anymore because they get butthurt when I pass them and complain across the street... the people across the street can't do anything about it because the truck I drive has absolutely nothing to do with the company I turn wrenches for.
Though what really kills me is how many of these truck drivers can operate a 9, 10, 13, etc. speed transmission, yet can never seem to figure out how to operate this:

Seriously... what manner of witchcraft is this?
As for me, I've run (in Class 8 trucks), the Allison 6 and 7 speeds, a seven speed Eaton synchromesh transmission (this was in a former CF single axle cabover), 8LL, 9 speed, 10 speed, 13 speed, 15 speed, 18 speed, and 5x4 and 6x4 twin sticks. I'm partial to the 18, especially when you can compound it with an additional four speed auxiliary.
Only experience with the autoshifts was driving a couple of them around the yard in bobtail tractors.. not really much to make a judgement off of. I'm hoping for a chance to try out the I-Shift and TC10 at some point (although I've yet to see a TC10 in use, unfortunately).
Year ago I ran a 5x4 in an IH dump truck. The 10 speed Road Rangers were dandy, the gas engine in front of it was worthless.

The Alison Auto, push a button then set the retarder and off we go. Too easy to drive.

I wouldn't mind a moonlighting gig of taking a load every now and then. Or now running a hot shot load with the pickup. However, I'd need to get an overkill flatbed trailer.

More and more, I walk up to a truck. The driver opens the door, I look at the pedals. Dude, where is your clutch? Oh, wait. Never mind.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:28 PM

656 posts, read 1,341,345 times
The Allisons are true automatics. The Eaton, Volvo, etc. transmissions are pretty much manual gearboxes, automated and with an automated clutch.
I can see the merits in the Allison autos, and apparently the military does, as well, given that they're used in tactical vehicles.... hated them for plowing snow, however... did not like how rough they were shifting on a slick road.
Got a nifty little side gig. Fourth season doing this for the guy... downside is that it's out of Colorado Springs, but he pays pretty well. Either I'll pick up a load of wood pellets (the kind used for wood stoves, grills, etc.) out of Kremmling, Silver Plume, or Walden, or else I'll haul equipment for their drilling business to wherever it needs to go. Not a bad gig... I mean, technically, I hung it up to be a wrench, but it's kinda hard to get 100% out of it, so I guess it kinda gives me my fix, in some fashion.
I've seen more of the autoshifts now than in years past... I'll agree to that extend, especially, it seems, when it comes to Volvos... I'm sure they are more common now, but if they're going to take off, I've yet to see it. I've seen some claim that all trucks by 2015 will be autos, but I'm going to remain skeptical about that claim, both as it pertains to highway trucks, and especially as it pertains to brush and heavy haul trucks.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:44 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
This was news in 1984. Not so much in 2014.

Alas. I love my manual transmissions.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:40 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
This was news in 1984. Not so much in 2014.

Alas. I love my manual transmissions.
Indeed I don't see them disappearing entirely. Maybe like 1 or 2 brands per segment offering them. Perhaps the theory of baby boomers not dying fast enough so they are buying cars en masse and the mamufacturers want to cater to them. The other groups are buying cars but the manufacturers feel they have more time with the younger generations but unfortunately the boomers aren't dying at an acceptable rate due to advance medicine.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:52 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times
Truck dealer's are telling me people want diesel truck's that are manual over automatic transmission. Has more pulling power I quest.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:27 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post

Indeed I don't see them disappearing entirely. Maybe like 1 or 2 brands per segment offering them. Perhaps the theory of baby boomers not dying fast enough so they are buying cars en masse and the mamufacturers want to cater to them. The other groups are buying cars but the manufacturers feel they have more time with the younger generations but unfortunately the boomers aren't dying at an acceptable rate due to advance medicine.

Wow, someone has nothing better to offer to a thread than to wish death upon a specific segment of the population.

This person wishes death upon baby boomers. However will this person survive without mom and dad paying for internet and the basement they creep about in. Who will heat up your TV dinners? I'll bet you wished grandma and grandpa into the grave some years ago, no?

Old 10-22-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Wow, someone has nothing better to offer to a thread than to wish death upon a specific segment of the population.

This person wishes death upon baby boomers. However will this person survive without mom and dad paying for internet and the basement they creep about in. Who will heat up your TV dinners? I'll bet you wished grandma and grandpa into the grave some years ago, no?
The planet is already crowded but I never wished death. I said it was a theory (as discussed by myself and some auto journalist at an auto show) and now you are overreacting and making false assumptions. I'm afraid that I have always paid for my internet, I don't eat TV dinners and there isn't a basement in the house that I own. I never wished my grandparents dead. Anybody else you want to assume I wished death on?

Old 10-22-2014, 03:41 PM

764 posts, read 1,421,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Been there, done that with a manual trans myself--minus the selfie part, of course. (Never have used a front-facing camera.) It's the pumping the clutch pedal for three feet at a time in a hurricane evacuation for most of a full day that weaned me off of manual transmissions. It's not like I have a weak pair of legs, either.
Agreed - daily driving in Houston's traffic is what weaned me from a manual trans, and I didn't even drive one trying to evacuate during a hurricane. Ugh! (Was it Rita or Ike?)

I'm not opposed to having one, just don't want one as long as I'm living in Houston. Anywhere else would be preferable to Houston's gridlock. I learned to drive a stick shift in San Francisco, so even dealing with those hills would be preferable.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc66 View Post
Agreed - daily driving in Houston's traffic is what weaned me from a manual trans, and I didn't even drive one trying to evacuate during a hurricane. Ugh! (Was it Rita or Ike?)

I'm not opposed to having one, just don't want one as long as I'm living in Houston. Anywhere else would be preferable to Houston's gridlock. I learned to drive a stick shift in San Francisco, so even dealing with those hills would be preferable.
Both hurricanes caused freeway hell but I drive a manual all of the time even in Houston traffic. I have to go past the 59-610 interchange everyday and not once have I ever thought about how much of a pain driving a stick is because to me it isn't. Maybe it's natural to me but I've never been in an environment where driving it stick was bothersome and annoying. I've spent a full month driving on a broken leg. If anything, automatics are boring and annoying. In Houston's gridlock, I would be tempted to fall asleep. They are that boring and disengaging to me. Now motorcycles ugh.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive