Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 03:02 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,838,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post

And what is a "riced" car? I'm assuming you're talking about Asian cars? If so, in what way are Nissan, Honda and Hyundai's powerful, large V6 engines rice-burners? Better yet, Nissan/Infiniti's M56? Hyundai's Eqquis (sp?), Genesis, etc.

The "rice" comments get old.

"Rice" is when you add stickers and an annoyingly-loud muffler to "make it faster" but you get little gain at all. To me, it's like a shorty straight pipe on a crotch rocket. There are parts out there that will give performance, but people think noise equals fast. Stupid mods that do little more than make noise, or require you to drive sideways over a speed bump.

My Top 3:
- Ford. I love my F-150 Super Crew. Quite capable of handling things in my life. It can take a bit of a beating from time to time, be it an occasional overloading, driving hard, etc. I also love my 1987 Mustang GT convertible. The sound of a 5.0 just makes me smile.

- Bentley. My grandfather owned a few of them and they were great cars to drive despite their weight. The Turbo 8 in the Brooklands would really get up and go, and had it doing 140 on Charlotte Motor Speedway. It rode great and most other cars would have sounded like a wind tunnel even with the windows up.

- Mercedes-Benz. This is a bit of a departure for me because I really don't care for the costs associated with pushing that 3-point star down the road (yes, even after having a Bentley), but I really do like the lines of the CLS 550. I think an AMG Black would be a lot of fun until stuff started breaking. Maybe keep this one for 50,000 miles.

Bottom 3:
- GMC. I know it's not right to hate a brand based on owning one vehicle, but the Terrain I bought my wife has been a pain in the neck since it rolled 20,000 miles. Suspension, dash lights randomly cutting off, not a comfortable ride. Will never buy another GMC Terrain. The jury is out on another GM product. Too early to tell.

- Geo. I had to drive a Geo Metro 180 miles. I would rather let someone shove a framing hammer up my butt than drive one of those again. The slightest wind made the car move in random directions. A small crash could be fatal. I'd say a Fiat 500 would be safer in a 60mph head-on collision with a battleship than a Geo Metro convertible hitting a road cone at 20. I could write volumes on the shortcomings of the Metro, but I don't think C-D wants to pay for that amount of web storage.

- Dodge. This one was really tough for me to say because I'm sure there is another brand out there I would really hate, or probably do. I just can't recall it at the moment. I'm listing Dodge because I really don't care for the Ram truck. It's not that I know of any serious problems, I just have not cared for the Ram since the redesign several years ago, maybe around 2000. The styling just doesn't suit my eye. I know people love them, but I refuse to drive a truck that I just don't like. I don't drive excessive amounts of miles each year, but I just want what I like to drive...even when my company is paying for it. Despite not driving tons of miles, I do spend a LOT of time in my truck. If it had an hour meter like a boat, it would have rolled over by now. Lots of idling time waiting on contractors and people taking their sweet time showing up for a meeting to show a house (I'm in the rental business). I'm sure they're fine trucks. I just don't like them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 03:04 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
1.Subaru
2.Audi
3.Porsche

All 3 companies have AWD cars, 2 of them uses boxer engines, and they've all competed in mfg races of various types, and sells cars that you can take straight to the race track competitively.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:04 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
"Rice" is when you add stickers and an annoyingly-loud muffler to "make it faster" but you get little gain at all. To me, it's like a shorty straight pipe on a crotch rocket. There are parts out there that will give performance, but people think noise equals fast. Stupid mods that do little more than make noise, or require you to drive sideways over a speed bump.
Right, and I agree with this.
However, in what way does this relate to OP's question? What does this have anything to do with hating a car brand? The manufacturer did not add all of that garbage at the factory.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:05 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,225,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidburn View Post
For me, my top 3 are:
1. Subaru - sentimental value, safety record and in my opinion AWD is invaluable if you live anywhere that gets snow. Plus, they have more "character" than Honda and Toyota.
Sentimental value? Seriously? I did not think that cheesy marketing campaign actually worked, guess they have brainwashed a few...

Old 12-15-2014, 03:12 PM

160 posts, read 241,232 times
Top 3:

1. MINI--I have one, and it's the most fun I can legally have on four wheels.
2. Volvo--Synonymous with safety and reliability for a good reason.
3. Mazda--Probably the best full-line automaker in the USA today.

Bottom 3:

1. GM--I've never really had anything good to say about their millions of shoddy, underwhelming products.
2. Toyota--The definition of bland. Popular with boring bean-counting accountants everywhere.
3. Volkswagen--It's like an overpriced, unreliable Toyota.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Right, and I agree with this.
However, in what way does this relate to OP's question? What does this have anything to do with hating a car brand? The manufacturer did not add all of that garbage at the factory.

It has nothing to do with the original post. It is response to the question you posed in a prior post. I answered it and then kept on topic by answering the original question. If you want to ask a rhetorical question, you should make it more clear rather than question someone who answers your question. (I could prbably use the word "question" at leasyt once more. Question. There we go)

Or I could just say ricers make it easy to hate Honda Civics. Kinda like how some people hate Harley Davidson motorcycles.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:30 PM

3,508 posts, read 767,005 times
1- ford
2- ford
3- ford
1-chevy
2-chevy
3-chevy

Old 12-15-2014, 04:00 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,324,388 times
Love
-Porsche
-BMW
-Toyota

Wouldn't Be Caught Dead In
-Subaru
-Ford
-Hummer

Old 12-15-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Sentimental value? Seriously? I did not think that cheesy marketing campaign actually worked, guess they have brainwashed a few...

It could be that it was a car given to them by a late family member, much like my Mustang. Then again, some people are swayed by catch ad campaigns. Look at the growth Audi experienced after the Super Bowl commercial with the R8. That's not to say Audis are bad cars. I think they are quite nice. But there were a lot of people who went out and bought an Audi after that ad aired. A different take on "win on Sunday, sell on Monday." Just a thought.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:19 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,871,660 times
3 car brands you love and 3 you wouldn't be caught dead in

I can tell you one thing, I wouldn't be caught dead in something like this, which they call Smart.... I don't know about Smart, but it sure is ugly.. You can probably get pedals with it as an option... to help with the acceleration...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ompact_Car.jpg

I'll also pass on those 2 cars below..

The AMC Pacer

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.6080...2&pid=15.1&P=0

The Ford Pinto

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.6080...5&pid=15.1&P=0

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-18-2014 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: copyright violation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive