Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 08:54 AM

479 posts, read 1,435,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
What a joke! The "interior quality of a Honda"? You mean hard, ugly plastics that are rattle-prone after a few years? I suggest you get back into even basic American cars like the Focus, which is chock full of soft-touch materials, and better fit and finish then even the most expensive Honda. Not to mention how much more advanced the simple Focus chassis is over any Honda. You really, really, really need to get out and experience what the automotive world has to offer.

And FYI, my 2003 Focus is approaching 170K relatively trouble-free miles (TPS sensor went bad, coolant pipe broke, and t-stat housing o-ring leaked everywhere). My Honda and Toyotas were far more troublesome than my Fords have ever been. Keep drinking that Honduh KoolAid!
I do like Fords, for the most part, and know that not all Toyotas are high-quality and reliable. I know this from working as a rental guy fresh out of college for almost a year. It's GM and Dodge that I don't like. For example, I don't see how Chevy can market the Malibu as a CamCord killer when I've driven both, and comparing the quality of a Malibu to that of an Accord is like comparing a Big Mac to a ribeye steak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 08:56 AM

479 posts, read 1,435,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetMlr View Post
I'm surprised you put Hyundai on that list. Even though Hyundai owns Kia, I have a feeling you don't really know about the quality of a Hyundai. I just don't think it belongs on that list. I've been in a few Kias, and definitely was not impressed, far from impressed with any of the designs. There were way too many things I didn't like. But I've had a Hyundai, and just bought a new one last week. The option packages were impressive, and Elantra, sure looks just as nice as any of the higher priced cars I've seen, if not better than many. No doubt it's up to par.
I do admire how much progress Hyundai has made in recent years. Still, they have yet to prove themselves long-term like Honda and Subaru have to me.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:04 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,670,560 times
I have a lot more than 3 in the bottom list, but they're in order of least favorite. These are from personal experience.

Top 3:

1. Ford - NEVER had an issue with any Ford I have owned.
2. Toyota - All of my Toyotas have been unbreakable.
3. GM - While they do have some finicky issues, my few were pretty good vehicles and reliable.

Bottom 3 (plus a few. )

1. VW/Audi - One of the most unreliable pieces of garbage I have ever owned. It spent more time in my driveway than ever on the road. Mechanical failures, bad paint, cheap quality interior, etc...
2. Dodge/Chrysler - Cheap quality, prone to breakdowns and mechanical failures.
3. Fiat - Same reason as Dodge.
4. Lincoln - Quirky electrical issues
5. Nissan - electrical issues and horrible paint/cheap interior quality
6. Mistubishi - mechanical issues

Old 12-17-2014, 09:21 AM

672 posts, read 789,832 times
Quote:
What a joke! The "interior quality of a Honda"? You mean hard, ugly plastics that are rattle-prone after a few years? I suggest you get back into even basic American cars like the Focus, which is chock full of soft-touch materials, and better fit and finish then even the most expensive Honda. Not to mention how much more advanced the simple Focus chassis is over any Honda. You really, really, really need to get out and experience what the automotive world has to offer.

And FYI, my 2003 Focus is approaching 170K relatively trouble-free miles (TPS sensor went bad, coolant pipe broke, and t-stat housing o-ring leaked everywhere). My Honda and Toyotas were far more troublesome than my Fords have ever been. Keep drinking that Honduh KoolAid!
All 3 of my Hondas were incredibly reliable, all three were long lived, but, I agree, the interiors were lacking, but they were all 3 base models, nothing special. Granted, the last one was a 2001...
The one Ford that we owned, a '95 F150, was the crappiest piece of crap lemon, and so it was the last Ford that we will ever own. The auto locking 4x4 hubs NEVER worked, Ford could never get them to work after multiple tries, had to finally replace with manual hubs. Oil pan rusted (I mean, WHAT????), both gas tanks, suspension issues, the list went on and on. Traded it with less than 100K on it, something that we never do. Your miles may vary.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:38 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
How so? Reviewers constantly put it on par, if not above its competition.
I was hinting how there are performance sedans like the M3, M5, IS-F, etc, that were better all around performers, which, if youre looking at a performance sedan, the M56 was rather soft in comparison.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:42 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidburn View Post
For example, I don't see how Chevy can market the Malibu as a CamCord killer when I've driven both, and comparing the quality of a Malibu to that of an Accord is like comparing a Big Mac to a ribeye steak.
Thats where I would tend to disagree. The new Malibu is a very nice sedan, EONS better than previous versions. Its roomy, more soft-touch materials than the current Accord, more tasteful inside (IMO), better looking exterior (IMO), and felt more roomy in the back than Accord. The Accord feels more powerful, and is, but when looking for a comfy sedan for the family, Id go with the Malibu. Its more like comparing a Whopper to a Big Mac.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:44 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
I was hinting how there are performance sedans like the M3, M5, IS-F, etc, that were better all around performers, which, if youre looking at a performance sedan, the M56 was rather soft in comparison.
You think so? I disagree, but to each his/her own.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Thats where I would tend to disagree. The new Malibu is a very nice sedan, EONS better than previous versions. Its roomy, more soft-touch materials than the current Accord, more tasteful inside (IMO), better looking exterior (IMO), and felt more roomy in the back than Accord. The Accord feels more powerful, and is, but when looking for a comfy sedan for the family, Id go with the Malibu. Its more like comparing a Whopper to a Big Mac.
I may be alone here, but I just can't stand their engines.
That 4 cylinder sounds horrendous, and the 3.6L that GM loves to shove in every vehicle is mediocre at best.
Yes, the Malibu's interiors ARE indeed quite nice. That I'll agree with.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:48 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,050,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
It would be nice if that was 100% true, but perceived image is a big part of why many people buy or don't buy. Through great sports car, I would guess some guys in the market would not consider a Miata - - or maybe a better example: a new VW bug......
Pontiac Sunfire comes to mind. They had a demographic that was 90%+ female.

Flip side is the Porsche Cayenne, designed and marketed to women and crossed the gender line far more often than expected.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Pontiac Sunfire comes to mind. They had a demographic that was 90%+ female.

Flip side is the Porsche Cayenne, designed and marketed to women and crossed the gender line far more often than expected.
I laugh whenever I see those on the road... Take a VW Touareg, replace all VW badges with Porsche badges, and you have yourself a Cayenne... And an extra $40k-$50k to play with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive