Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 01:52 PM

782 posts, read 859,489 times

Advertisements

1) BMW- Not saying they are the most reliable, but in terms of aesthetics, interior feel and overall
emotions I love BMWs.

2)Infiniti- My 2004 g35 coupe was a blast to drive and still looked modern when I traded it in a last year. I still wouldn't hesitate to go for a Q-coupe or sedan, beautiful cars that are very well built.

3) Acura- Similar to infiniti...i like the design language a lot (yes, I liked the last gen TL), since seeing my first Legend coupe in the early 90s, I always liked Acuras. Sadly, you need the SH-AWD on any model you're getting in order for it to be fun to drive.

_____
1) FORD-- Sorry, just not doing for me. I've driven the Escape, Fusion, Focus, Explorer....all felt cheap on the inside, felt underpowered and bland. I did like my dads 8 cylinder '84 Crown Vic though.

2) KIA- Even with the new design language and re-imaging, the brand still needs to prove its reliability and potential. Most of their recent models seem like emulations of luxury cars that are clearly not luxury.

3) Chrysler- I just hate how any car they've ever produced looks...from the cloud cars to 300s to 200s....they're all just gaudy and bloated looking. Can't speak on how they drive though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 02:03 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,296,287 times
I've already owned cars and truck from most major manufacturers worldwide. Other than the purely Chinese brands, there are none that I'd have a problem with owning something that they make. I've had British, Italian, Swedish, German, Japanese, Korean, and American cars. Love 'em all.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:08 PM

12 posts, read 16,983 times
Nissan - best car i have ever owned

bottom
Dodge - dodge - dodge!
Chrysler

Old 12-16-2014, 02:13 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,871,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
"If you drove an older Fiat from 20/30 years ago, you probably wouldn't be saying that"

Fiat Spyder here. Not the worst car I have ever had but it ranks near the bottom.
Yeah the Spyders were better than the 1978 X-19 I had back in 1984. I'm sure you've heard the joke about what the name Fiat stands for.. Fix It Again Tony...

Old 12-16-2014, 02:14 PM

479 posts, read 1,435,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
2) KIA- Even with the new design language and re-imaging, the brand still needs to prove its reliability and potential. Most of their recent models seem like emulations of luxury cars that are clearly not luxury.
When I hear about all the extra features Hyundai and Kia put in their cars, like seat heaters/coolers, standard satellite radio, etc. I can't help but wonder how much money was taken away from insuring the car's overall quality to add more and more bells and whistles. I've driven more than my share of Kias in a previous job and no matter which model it is or which trim, every one of them just lacks that rock solid feel that I get from a Japanese car.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:23 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,871,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
1) BMW- Not saying they are the most reliable, but in terms of aesthetics, interior feel and overall
emotions I love BMWs.

2)Infiniti- My 2004 g35 coupe was a blast to drive and still looked modern when I traded it in a last year. I still wouldn't hesitate to go for a Q-coupe or sedan, beautiful cars that are very well built.

3) Acura- Similar to infiniti...i like the design language a lot (yes, I liked the last gen TL), since seeing my first Legend coupe in the early 90s, I always liked Acuras. Sadly, you need the SH-AWD on any model you're getting in order for it to be fun to drive.

_____
1) FORD-- Sorry, just not doing for me. I've driven the Escape, Fusion, Focus, Explorer....all felt cheap on the inside, felt underpowered and bland. I did like my dads 8 cylinder '84 Crown Vic though.

3) Chrysler- I just hate how any car they've ever produced looks...from the cloud cars to 300s to 200s....they're all just gaudy and bloated looking. Can't speak on how they drive though.
My first car was a 1967 Chrysler New Yorker with the 440 V8, it was built like a tank and it rode like it, thanks to the Uni-Body construction, instead of separate frame and body separated by the rubber mounts that isolated the road noise, which is why GM and Ford comparable models, like the Impala, Galaxy 500, LTD, etc, rode a lot quieter..

Old 12-16-2014, 02:44 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Top 3
1. Aston Martin - they ooze class and style, plus are sexy beyond sexy.
2. Ford - love their history, racing history, style, and blue collar, backstreet Detroit vibe.
3. Dodge - Im not a Mopar guy, but their lineup rocks. Seeing a Challenger, Viper, Charger, etc, in the rear view rocks!

Bottom 3
1. Toyota - zzzzzzzzzz Grocery carts are more attractive. Im not joking either.
2. Honda - zzzzzzzzzz Having a vasectomy without anaesthesia is more fun.
3. Nissan - A lineup uglier than Gwyneth Paltrow without makeup on. I mean, it has to be truly embarrassing piloting a Versa, Sentra, Juke, Murano Crosscabriolet, Leaf, etc, around. Horrible. Absolutely horrible.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:51 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,483,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidburn View Post
For me, my top 3 are:
1. Subaru - sentimental value, safety record and in my opinion AWD is invaluable if you live anywhere that gets snow. Plus, they have more "character" than Honda and Toyota.
2. Honda - just can't beat the interior quality
3. Toyota - legendary quality, although some models are exceptions to this

Bottom 3:
1. GM - shoddy quality, they ruined Saab and Pontiac which I felt had promising futures
2. Kia - while I respect how much they've improved lately, they still have a ways to go to match HonToy
3. Hyundai - ditto
I'd second this. Ford seems to have improved enough that I would put them just outside the top 3, but you can't dispute Toyota / Honda / Subaru are way better in quality.

Every GM I've had has been garbage. When I see someone in a Kia I assume they have bad credit and that's the only company that would approve them

Old 12-16-2014, 02:59 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,050,846 times
I guess my cynicism is going to come through but I suspect that a lot of people here have posted about vehicles they have never sat in, much less driven or owned. I agree with Merc63 that there are only a handful of vehicles that I really despise, as there are redeeming qualities about most that I have driven. I watched this thread for a couple days and just cannot come up with a list by brand.

Manufacturers over time seem to develop a niche, or at least have phases where they make a really good product in one segment of the market, while other segments seem to elude them. The Corvette is an icon, and has typically fared pretty well in overall quality. Ask someone who owned a Chevy Celebrity in the early 80's if they like Chevrolet and they will possibly spit fire at you. Truck owners that owned a Ford 7.3L or even the old 300 in-line 6 cyl will brag all day about their Ford truck being the greatest thing since sliced bread. But others will never forgive Ford for making the Pinto.

I have loved a few, hated a few, and been surprised by a few (both good and bad) at times. But no particular make has ever made me think I wouldn't be caught dead in it. Maybe what models, instead of make, would be a better question.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:14 PM

336 posts, read 592,146 times

1. Nissan & Infiniti
2. Toyota & Lexus
3. BMW

Dislike

1. VW & Audi. Too hard to work on at home (probably Mercedes too)
2. Acura. Too expensive for front wheel drive and/or front wheel drive biased cars
3. Lincoln.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive