Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 09:55 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,412,961 times

Advertisements

Considering timing chains are generally much stronger and last much longer than timing belts, is there a reason, other than cost, why manufacturers aren't using serpentine chains as opposed to belts? Maybe I just haven't put enough thought into this, as it literally just popped in my head... Noise, maybe? If not, then what?
Some belts are such a pain to replace, even for seasoned mechanics, that to have a lifetime chain on there would seem to make a lot of sense...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 10:11 AM

85 posts, read 432,898 times
Cost and Noise. Because the serpentine belt is so easy to get to and replace it just makes sense to have something that is less costly and less noisy. You would also have to install cogs on all of the accessories. Having something freeze up would be a lot more catastrophic as well as there would be no slip on a chain.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:12 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,707,651 times
I'd imagine noise and cost would be the biggest factors.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:18 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketir View Post
Cost and Noise. Because the serpentine belt is so easy to get to and replace it just makes sense to have something that is less costly and less noisy. You would also have to install cogs on all of the accessories. Having something freeze up would be a lot more catastrophic as well as there would be no slip on a chain.
Some vehicles practically require partial engine disassembly and/or engine mount removal to replace the belts... Hardly what I'd call easy.
I can understand the potential catastrophe that would ensue from a frozen pulley, but I HAVE seen some pretty disastrous situations involving frozen A/C compressors and belts...

Old 01-13-2015, 10:21 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,874,625 times
Not a good idea if your smog pump or alternator locks up. I've had both do it on cars before. Lots more damage than a busted belt if the chain breaks, to wiring, plastic parts, the hood, radiator, etc. Neat idea, but not worth it when a serpentine belt can last 100K and can be replaced for $20 or so.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:23 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,393,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Considering timing chains are generally much stronger and last much longer than timing belts, is there a reason, other than cost, why manufacturers aren't using serpentine chains as opposed to belts? Maybe I just haven't put enough thought into this, as it literally just popped in my head... Noise, maybe? If not, then what?
Some belts are such a pain to replace, even for seasoned mechanics, that to have a lifetime chain on there would seem to make a lot of sense...
I recently read that timing belts were in fact stronger than chains and they don't stretch.
Years ago we had multiple belts on autos and today many cars only have one belt. I remember changing belts yearly back in the 60-70's but I never changed a belt on my PSD even with over 100,000 miles. I bought a spare belt just in case and it was behind the seat when I sold the truck 17 years later.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:33 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,184,310 times
Chains need lubrication. So a maintenance free belt could be replaced with an assembly that needs to be protected from the elements - and lubricated. The tradeoff is awful.

Serpentine belts last a long time these days. They are cheap, they are quiet, and easy to service (most of the time).

Old 01-13-2015, 10:33 AM

236 posts, read 370,740 times
Cost, noise, lockup danger - but also consider parasitic drag.

There would be a small but measurable increase in drag given the number of accessories on the serpentine.

A very interesting question regardless - points for ponderance

Old 01-13-2015, 04:30 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketir View Post
the other thing would be the weight of the chain compared to a belt of similar length. now imagine that engine running at 70mph, and the belt or chain breaks. with a belt little damage is done, and is easily replaced. with a chain, shrapnel goes everywhere, not to mention the weight of the chain whipping around under hood.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:49 PM

886 posts, read 5,716,872 times
I am going to assume that you are talking about timing belts vs timing chains.

Many engines run timing chains. They are not a accurate as belts they stretch and wear over time and need replacement as well. The belt is cheaper more accurate and in many cases stronger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive