Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 11:00 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times

Advertisements

yes, it be dead, no matter what the brand, either get a trickle battery saver charger or even one of those solar chargers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 11:26 AM

236 posts, read 370,229 times
I use and have total confidence in the Battery Tender line of chargers.

And yes, a lead acid battery can go dead in a year of disuse, either from cold or heat - however it ti left to sit.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:52 AM

266 posts, read 449,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Uhmmm ... for that price ... , would it not be cheaper to buy a new one ?
Point taken. I know I decided to swallow that lump the first time also. Glad I did.

The r-charge does wonders to a battery other charges cannot do like make one last nearly indefinitely and at a stronger output capacity for thos extra cold morning starts. Heck, I know exactly when I even stopped buying expensive cells for my RC needs. So the r-charge is also very adaptive.

I don't know about you but I got tired of running out to get a new battery for my tractors, snow blower, motor cycle, cars/trucks, solar panel, and the list goes on and on... It was even a hassle to return the thing for warranty, which later I believed not right because I was the one letting machines sit unused a while. The more toys, the larger amount of batteries. That r-charger simply means I will not have to, basically, buy another battery again. Unless to say I physically damage one.

A friend of mine recycles batteries for a living. He is how I found out about the r-charge. He uses the r charge to restore most all of them for almost pure profit, less his time and pick-up charges, even them companies pay him to take the things. Seems a pretty sweet deal. Last I spoke with him he was working on a campaign to visit golf courses and industrial sites to restore those expensive batteries.

If you have batteries, lots of them, this machine will be a huge saving machine.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:41 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I know it will be dead in a year but would it hold charge if recharged? Does it go bad permanently?
Probably. When I bought my Honda (it was made in Japan), it sat in the dealer lot probably for a few months before I actually obtained possession. I drove it home (maybe 10 miles) and let it sit for a week in my parking garage (my guess is that the dealer jumped it and gave me the car). Then, when I went to drive it again, the battery was dead. I had it jumped and drove it for ~1.5 hours and have not had a battery problem since (~6 years).

The same thing happened to a friend with a new Acura.

So, I'm not sure about a year, but the battery can come back to normal after it's dead.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:12 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestedOne View Post
If you have batteries, lots of them, this machine will be a huge saving machine.
OK ... , point taken also !!!

But only if you have lots of batteries which *sit* somewhere for a longtime doing nothing, or,
which need recharging lots of times.

If one, like most of us, only have *one* battery in their car(s),
and only need those cheapo *throw-away* batteries for toys and whatever,
that wonder machine you have, is of very little use for that kind of money !
Those small stick type throw away batteries can not be re-used,
unless you buy re-chargeable ones, and they are a PITA most of the time.
They run out of power at the most inopportune time and take many hours often to be re-charged.
Most of us, have at least two cars, and when you buy a new battery every 5-6 years,
you need that machine only every 5-6 years to get it *re-newed* by using that wonder machine,
or, you buy a new battery every time for the cost of that wonder machine.
That would take many years of buying new batteries.

Umpteen years ago, I bought a 12 vdc charger (it does have a trickle cycle !!) for less than 20 bucks,
and it still is used whenever I need to recharge a battery.
In my household I have 4 batteries, 2 cars, one *electric start*-riding mower and one *electric start*-emergency power supply.

Only the emergency power supply needs the charger when I need the emergency power.
It has one of those puny small batteries, but ..., the people who made that power supply
do tell you to start the bugger at least once a month ...
(which I wonder who would really do that ??? I sure do not !!!)

For some reason the battery on the riding mower never needed recharging, even with sitting there doing nothing all winter long ...

I can *see* however that somebody with a machine like that should be using it *commercially*.
When I need the charger, half the time I have no idea where the bloody thing is !!

Old 01-15-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
OK ... , point taken also !!!

But only if you have lots of batteries which *sit* somewhere for a longtime doing nothing, or,
which need recharging lots of times.

If one, like most of us, only have *one* battery in their car(s),
and only need those cheapo *throw-away* batteries for toys and whatever,
that wonder machine you have, is of very little use for that kind of money !
Those small stick type throw away batteries can not be re-used,
unless you buy re-chargeable ones, and they are a PITA most of the time.
They run out of power at the most inopportune time and take many hours often to be re-charged.
Most of us, have at least two cars, and when you buy a new battery every 5-6 years,
you need that machine only every 5-6 years to get it *re-newed* by using that wonder machine,
or, you buy a new battery every time for the cost of that wonder machine.
That would take many years of buying new batteries.

Umpteen years ago, I bought a 12 vdc charger (it does have a trickle cycle !!) for less than 20 bucks,
and it still is used whenever I need to recharge a battery.
In my household I have 4 batteries, 2 cars, one *electric start*-riding mower and one *electric start*-emergency power supply.

Only the emergency power supply needs the charger when I need the emergency power.
It has one of those puny small batteries, but ..., the people who made that power supply
do tell you to start the bugger at least once a month ...
(which I wonder who would really do that ??? I sure do not !!!)

For some reason the battery on the riding mower never needed recharging, even with sitting there doing nothing all winter long ...

I can *see* however that somebody with a machine like that should be using it *commercially*.
When I need the charger, half the time I have no idea where the bloody thing is !!
I'm with you on finding the it.

My issue is that I don't always have time to run every battery every month. I tried a few different solar PV charges but the current was low to create the necessary turbulence. Yes the voltage was there but little to no current can from the battery. Those trickle chargers did that too. I hated them being plugged 24/7 so I put them on timers. still hated tripping over extension cords plugged in everywhere.

That r-charge though I have seen some of my batteries last as much as 9 months without exercising them and when I hook them up to the r charge its almost like the things charge instantly. Something about the way the Resonance charger affects the electrolyte inside the battery, and or plates.

Nice post! Take care.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:59 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
For the average person, this is all you need:

Amazon.com: Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger: Automotive

We own a bunch of similar ones and they are troublefree. Between my two Sons and I, we have about 5 cars that are rarely driven, and we keep one on each car. When we are ready to use the car they always read around 13 volts and batteries last for years this way.

Don

Old 01-16-2015, 04:18 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
For the average person, this is all you need:

Amazon.com: Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger: Automotive

We own a bunch of similar ones and they are troublefree. Between my two Sons and I, we have about 5 cars that are rarely driven, and we keep one on each car. When we are ready to use the car they always read around 13 volts and batteries last for years this way.

Don
Yep, I use that one for my 70 Duster and I use this for my boat batteries Amazon.com: Battery Tender 022-0148-DL-WH 12-Volt 4-Bank Battery Management System: Automotive I've used this brand for years as well and never had any issues.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:24 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,848,992 times
With the arrival of cold weather, I just installed a new battery that I bought just over a year ago but for one reason or another I didn't get around to installing until now. It sat on the shelf on the garage through all of last winter and summer. I was fully expecting to have to re-charge it first so I tested it with a meter. I was surprised to see it was still holding at 12.something volts after all this time unused. I installed it without re-charging and the car has been starting great. I know, I know, sample size n=1 but its how it worked in my case.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:48 PM

Cool beans.

In early talks about chargers I only referred to the Rreasonate chargers becuase that charger is 100% different than trickle or power chargers.

Trickle, says it all. small energy over extended periods. Great they work. I just hated to have the blloody things plugged in 24/7.

Standard charges just cram electrons into a battery and even the quality charger with adaptive charge rate left me hanging as to when the thing was fully charged after extended non-use periods.

The "Resonance charger/r-charge.net" simply does many things. It restores dead batteries, increases the overall amperage output of dead and standard operative batteries, extends non-use cycles, as well as operated as a trickle system if so desired. They are pricey but I have so many batteries about the farm I just got tired of the status quo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive