Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 07:47 PM

55 posts, read 238,031 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a vanity license plate. My first name is short and will fit, along with one of my favorite passions (GOLFR). Or I might just do my name and favorite number/letter. Or name and lifelong favorite team name abbreviation. I checked them on motor vehicle site, and they are all available for me to take.

What is your opinion of placing your first name on your vanity plate? Is that a bad idea? I'm a respectful driver. Does having one's name on the plate draw negative attention (hecklers, random vandals, etc)?

"Here comes "JOE"/"TIM"/"BOB"/"BILL"/"SAL" his mommy wrote his name on his car just like his underwear!"

"Hey, get a real sport! Golf sucks."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 08:44 AM

780 posts, read 2,923,727 times
Never had anything like you mentioned in the nearly 2 decades I have a personalized license plate of my last name, so I say it's not a bad idea.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:30 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,785,881 times
There was a story several years ago concerning vanity license plates and that they were a bad idea.

I had them in my early years and this never came up, but after reading the story I'm glad I don't have them anymore because of today's people.

The story went like this, someone had vanity license plates and was reported for a Hit and Run and he had no idea of what happened until he was arrested for this crime, yes you can be arrested for a Hit and Run.

After being arrested and jailed, he proved that he was not at the location and the time on the report because he was instead at a business meeting and he had 25 plus people as witnesses.

Needless to say the police release him after many hours in jail and stated that his story was true and the people from the company verified his story.

They concluded that either someone had played a joke or someone was just being an A** because its so easy to remember vanity license plates rather than remember numbers.

So in my opinion, I wouldn't never get vanity license plates again.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:38 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Never heard of a problem altho I only have college plates; not named. The story about wreck seems strange as that would require a warrant and thus signed by a judge and more than just a plate number. After all you can not arrest a car but need the driver ID from say DL. Also the person IDing the driver would be known or no warrant. Sounds like a wife's tale to me.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:54 AM

780 posts, read 2,923,727 times
I have a hard time believing that story.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:07 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post

They concluded that either someone had played a joke or someone was just being an A** because its so easy to remember vanity license plates rather than remember numbers.

So in my opinion, I wouldn't never get vanity license plates again.
Someone could just take a phonecam pic of any random license plate and do that.

Lighten up.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:21 AM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Unique question, FoosBall . . .

Since I have always "named" my vehicles, for many years I have had their names, NOT mine, on their Personalized License Plates and have never experienced any problems or issues.

Besides, who cares? Do what you like / want and ignore the Goof Balls.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:24 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,611,830 times
REALLY bad idea... in today's world, not at all an option.
We used to have vanity places (in the 70's) that had our last name and the number 1 or 2 - depending on what car it was... back then, we lived in a town where everybody knew us, it was just cute... But today, that's an invitation for all kinds of bad things. Knowing your name, they can find out where you live - no telling what all could happen... I'd NOT suggest it...

Old 05-04-2015, 10:26 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,404,313 times
Bad idea. Hello stalkers!

Old 05-04-2015, 10:32 AM

367 posts, read 457,750 times
Definitely not a good idea for women. Probably not smart for men either.

Though years ago it was fun when I was borrowing my friend Ashley's car, who had a vanity plate with her name on it, and I got hit on by someone pretending he knew me from long ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive