Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 12:31 PM

3,074 posts, read 8,028,299 times

Advertisements

The CV and GM are old folks cars. The newer arrivals into the senior set probably don't care much for them and as time goes on it will be less and less.

Probably a good choice for rural drivers as are trucks, but a nightmare for a city dweller to drive. Of course once all cars were that big or bigger even. But it is from an era where they were made like that.

If you are young and like them, fine. I don't see many younger folks driving them. The car is probably all right, however. It's just an older style of car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 12:50 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,334,857 times
I am young and I love them, even though it would be too big for me as a daily drive. Loved the GM for extended weekend trips through the countryside or long interstate cruising when I had it as a rental.

And beside the fact that they are somehow ridicoulous when it comes to the gigantic front seats, the fluffy suspension and the silent whistling of the V8 with smooth accelleration, the beige carpet inside and the big trunk I think they are just iconic and I would love to have one in my garage as a second or third car.

Old 10-22-2016, 01:11 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,316,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
The CV and GM are old folks cars. The newer arrivals into the senior set probably don't care much for them and as time goes on it will be less and less.

Probably a good choice for rural drivers as are trucks, but a nightmare for a city dweller to drive. Of course once all cars were that big or bigger even. But it is from an era where they were made like that.

If you are young and like them, fine. I don't see many younger folks driving them. The car is probably all right, however. It's just an older style of car.
I consider Cadillacs and Town Cars to be old folk cars. The CV and GM are generally known to be popular for the elderly because it's very similar to cars they were driving when they were younger. I was taught how to drive a RWD and most people near my age are comfortable with it until snow approaches. They're also very safe to drive until you get t-boned since side air bags aren't always included in them (I believe?). I don't want to found out the hard way . I drive a CV and I'm 56 but I only drive them because I enjoy having something not many have. It's going to be a car show jewel in like 30 years. Hopefully if I'm still alive then I can bring it to a local car show since my 2011 was one of the last thousands built.

Old 10-22-2016, 05:22 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
I find it funny and i laugh at how today's cars like the Honda Accords amd Toyota Camry's along with the Dodge Chargers(which is just a renamed Dodge Intrepid") that are marketed as "full sized cars" and i'm like "bull that aint fullsize"
Honda Accords and Toyota Camrys are far bigger than their same nameplate counterparts from the 80s and 90s, though.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:34 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,965,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
I find it funny and i laugh at how today's cars like the Honda Accords amd Toyota Camry's along with the Dodge Chargers(which is just a renamed Dodge Intrepid") that are marketed as "full sized cars" and i'm like "bull that aint fullsize"
That's because those are mid sized cars. Full size cars include the Avalon, Maxima, Azera, and Impala.

Old 10-22-2016, 08:56 PM

3,074 posts, read 8,028,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
I consider Cadillacs and Town Cars to be old folk cars. The CV and GM are generally known to be popular for the elderly because it's very similar to cars they were driving when they were younger. I was taught how to drive a RWD and most people near my age are comfortable with it until snow approaches. They're also very safe to drive until you get t-boned since side air bags aren't always included in them (I believe?). I don't want to found out the hard way . I drive a CV and I'm 56 but I only drive them because I enjoy having something not many have. It's going to be a car show jewel in like 30 years. Hopefully if I'm still alive then I can bring it to a local car show since my 2011 was one of the last thousands built.
Well I do see younger people driving them and I wondered if I would like them or not. Many of these newer cars are so uncomfortable. You just can't seem to find a comfortable seating arrangement. I'll bet many of them have been well taken care of seeing as many were owned by older people. My big gripe about them is parking one. And those Lincolns and Caddys are popular with the older set as well, especially those with the money to spend on one. But I think that the SUV's have overwhelmed the car market by far.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:53 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,190,356 times
They're good, solid, reliable, comfortable cars. More reliable than almost anything on the road because of their durable, time tested design.

If you must have the latest design and technology, this is not the car for you.

If you don't care as much about the "latest and greatest" and value durability, reliability, and simplicity, this is a good car for you.

On a side note, me and my family went to Cedar Point August 2-4, 2010 (about a 960 mile round-trip drive) and we had a rental Grand Marquis. It was quite comfortable and a pleasant car.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:13 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,185,872 times
Quote:
They're also very safe to drive until you get t-boned since side air bags aren't always included in them (I believe?).
Some do (my 2006 CV LX Sport does). Fourth digit of the VIN will be B or H. F means no side air bags.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:28 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,827,203 times
Quote:
Law enforcement agencies take care of them however they are beat to shreds at times. That's why they sell them for cheap once they retire the car. P71 Crown Vic's are built an inch higher than the civilian model so when you drive over a curb you won't hit the oil pan. Not only that but cop cars drive at fast speeds, have long idle hours, and accelerate to highway speeds within seconds. Over time that can take a toll on the car. The suspension is mostly screwed up once they begin to sell it but they usually replace it before they sell it.
They aren't built taller, the police package springs sit higher.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:27 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,333,016 times
TBH would not mind a late 90's Mark VIII with the N/A DOHC 32-Valve 4.6 from the N/A SVT Cobra only would ditch the factory problem plagued air suspension for performance tuned coilovers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCl6_d1f3vU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive