Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2015, 11:22 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,682,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
It's probably a good thing that you only drive on the Interstate a couple of times a year.

It is true that high speeds are a major cause of accidents, and I agree that enforcing speed limits is important. On the other hand, sticking right at the speed limit in a lane where everyone else wants and expects to drive 5-10 over the limit is dangerous. In that case, you are the person creating the danger, not the people who are looking to drive in an orderly way at a speed that is reasonable for the conditions and in compliance with well-known and established expectations. By driving slower than what virtually everybody else in that lane does, you are at risk of being rear-ended, of causing people to make sudden and potentially hazardous lane changes, and, yes, getting a ticket (which can happen even if you're not exceeding the speed limit).

(Incidentally, I once saw someone arguing with a motor vehicles inspector because he had failed his road test for adhering strictly to the speed limit when everyone around him was going faster. It could happen to you.)
Well thats what their brakes are for. if someone coming up on my six doesnt like that im going slower than the left lane then first of all she should slow down via letting off the gas, braking, or both. She could then move over to the left if she so chose then get back over to the right lane in front of me. Nobody is "forcing" anyone to drive fast. Its simply people "wanting" to drive fast. Call it highway peer pressure if you will. Thats what "driving with the flow of traffic" basically is.

As far as the license remark goes, i took my driving test some 20 odd years ago and wont have to take another test for somewhere around 25 years so i think im good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 11:24 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,682,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Really? So I can drive drunk, as long as I obey the speed limit? Because the speed limit sign trumps all laws, which would make it legal for me to do so.

You are making up your own rules.
Youre being a wise-ass there. You knew exactly what i meant.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:55 AM

16,550 posts, read 8,589,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
What about shoulder Nazis. When we were in a traffic jam folks started driving on shoulder creating and extra lane.

One guy in far right lane stuck his car halfway in shoulder to prevent foks from passing. Meanwhile by creating fourth lane it sped it up as miles ahead we found out and accident in the left lane was the issue.

This guy actually waved a cop badge at me from NJ. We were in NY so yelled FU went up on grass around him and cars started following us and last we saw he was out of car with his wife and kids inside yelling at us lawbreakers. Jesus Chrst it was Labor day weekend and NYS throughway had a three hour delay at some point someone is going on the shoulder

On the one hand I can agree with your sentiment about someone playing cop by blocking the shoulder. There are times it is appropriate to use it to get off an exit if there is a total blockage (i.e. fatality investigation ahead that will take hours). Additionally that can create a hazard if EMS/LE needs to get past the traffic and would be using the shoulder to reach the accident scene.

However, you kind of fit into the category of people I was referring to, who will do whatever they want IF they think there will not be consequences for their actions.
Sure general speeding can result in a ticket, and you are willing to take that chance.
Fine.
Yet when you differentiate the badge of a off duty LEO, and once you see he did not have jurisdiction, you tell him FU. And in front of his wife and kids no less.
To me that is incredibly rude, unnecessary, and says a lot about you. For one, you only respect others when it might have some consequence. So if you are standing in line and get pissed off at someone, I can see you mouthing off to someone small, but wouldn't have the guts to do it to someone you might think would pound you into the ground. Maybe some people are like that, but I think it reflects poorly on the person if they are obnoxious when they think/know they are safe from repercussions.
So clearly you'd be less likely to be vulgar toward a LEO in your own state, because me might give you a ticket, or you might hit your head on the car while being arrested.

`

Old 05-18-2015, 12:07 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,020,364 times
Quote:
So clearly you'd be less likely to be vulgar toward a LEO in your own state, because me might give you a ticket, or you might hit your head on the car while being arrested.
That maybe rude...but it's also just smart.

Quote:
To me that is incredibly rude, unnecessary, and says a lot about you. For one, you only respect others when it might have some consequence.
And just how is that any different from cops who are nasty -- and even shoot people in the back -- because they can get away with it.....

And as for the cop -- he was with his family, not on duty and not even in his own state. He KNEW he had no jurisdiction and so in this case he was just like any other driver on the road... who was trying to block other drivers.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:35 PM

16,550 posts, read 8,589,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
That maybe rude...but it's also just smart.

And just how is that any different from cops who are nasty -- and even shoot people in the back -- because they can get away with it.....

And as for the cop -- he was with his family, not on duty and not even in his own state. He KNEW he had no jurisdiction and so in this case he was just like any other driver on the road... who was trying to block other drivers.
Hello McFly.

We are not talking about whether some cops are rude, unprofessional, etc.
Instead we are discussing a specific instance where a poster said he was rude/vulgar toward someone, and likely did it only because he thought there would not be consequences. Needless to say the wife and children should not have been exposed to such rude behavior.

As to not having jurisdiction, that MAY be true. However also remember all LEO's are sworn officers, whether it be DOT, HP, TA, FDLE, etc., and while a traffic ticket might not hold up in court, they still have arrest powers.
A perfect example is of a Florida Marine Patrol officer who was driving along the highway. The person he pulled over started a rant about how he didn't have the ability to write a ticket and was being a real jerk.
He was surprised when the FMP pulled out a ticket book and wrote one anyway. Since this guy made such a big fuss the FMP ran the guy and found out he had an outstanding BW for a traffic violation, so he arrested him. He called for the FHP, and upon arrival transferred cuffs and the guy was hauled off by the FHP with his car towed. The driver got into even more trouble because they found drugs in the car.
The moral of the story is don't assume LEO's of other jurisdictions or departments/disciplines cannot enforce laws.
Granted most wont be bothered, or wouldn't want the hassle of trying to deal with it, but neither should the person who would otherwise just disregard them.

`

Old 05-18-2015, 12:40 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Texas law doesn't mention the speed limit with regards to "keep right" laws.

And an accident is more likely to occur with some blithering idiot blocking up traffic in the left hand lane, either maliciously or ignorantly.
Sorry, but you can't pick and choose which PARTS of the traffic code are applicable based on what you, personally, want to do.

If you want to speed, you're wanting to break the law. Speeding is part of the Texas Transportation Code. ALL parts of the Texas Transportation Code apply. If you find that a difficult concept to grasp, you shouldn't be driving a motorized vehicle on the public roadways (or possibly at all, because it's a pretty basic concept).

If you then insist that others OBEY the "keep right" part of the Texas Transportation Code because if they don't they are in your way of breaking the part of the Texas Transportation Code regarding speeding, then you're a flaming hypocrite who really only just wants your own way.

Last edited by TexasHorseLady; 05-18-2015 at 12:49 PM..

Old 05-18-2015, 01:37 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,030,004 times
The left lane curtain on the 3 lane LIE is almost always the result of someone who decided to ride in said lane at 65, when everyone knows the de facto speed limit is 75 (anything over that, unless you're an off duty cop in which case you can speed whenever you want, and you may get a ticket). I don't do over 65 when I have my kids in the car..so guess what? I stay in the center and right lanes.

If you are driving slower than the flow of traffic in the left lane, you are just as big a jerk as the person who weaves in and out of traffic. Move over.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:49 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,353,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz
Respond to post #17, then we can move onto your other complaints, and address your misuse of quotation marks. I recommend that you use copy and paste when quoting someone. That's what I did when I quoted you in post #17. Otherwise you run the risk of making stuff up, and attributing said stuff to another poster, as you have done here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
OK... see, now you're getting in way over your head. Now you've gone beyond weaseling and evading to avoid taking responsibility for what you said, and moved directly to flat-out lying. All three of the remarks I attributed to you were direct quotes, copied and pasted. "I will speed up just a little to make it difficult for them to get back over in the left lane" and "we had created a left lane 'curtain' that he could not penetrate" are copied directly from your OP, the first post in the thread, and "in my case there was no one obstructing... the left lane" is copied directly from your post #104. In each instance, those were your exact words. You keep trying to deny that you're saying the things you said, but you seem to be forgetting that everything we type here is archived - all people have to do is scroll back and read it.

Like I said earlier, I don't blame you for trying to pretend you didn't say some of those things, because I'd be pretty embarrassed too if I had to admit I drove like that. But when I quote you directly, and you accuse me of "making up" the quotes, you're lying. Just plain lying. Evidently that doesn't bother you, but when I'm the one you're lying about, it sure bothers me - and I'm going to call you on it every time.

As I said before, if you don't want to own what you say, say something you're not ashamed to admit to. But please stop digging yourself deeper and deeper into the hole by denying what you said, and then accusing others of lying when they catch you at it.

Well, here is what you posted (post # 111)

Quote:
It's really quite entertaining, watching you[ insist "I did not say what I said."
You do understand the use of quotation marks? It means you are repeating verbatim what was said. What was the post where I said that?

You know you have violated TOS here as well by accusing me of " flat-out lying" (especially considering that I clearly didn't). I could report your post, but I won't. The entertainment value of watching you self-implode would be put in jeopardy. This is the most fun I've had in a while.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:53 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,353,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The left lane curtain on the 3 lane LIE is almost always the result of someone who decided to ride in said lane at 65, when everyone knows the de facto speed limit is 75 (anything over that, unless you're an off duty cop in which case you can speed whenever you want, and you may get a ticket). I don't do over 65 when I have my kids in the car..so guess what? I stay in the center and right lanes.

If you are driving slower than the flow of traffic in the left lane, you are just as big a jerk as the person who weaves in and out of traffic. Move over.
I agree with you in general, but you don't appear to have the description in post #1. The 'flow of traffic' in the left lane was only about 50 mph due to congestion. No one was able to go faster than that no matter how much they wanted to, other than perhaps by ramming into the car in front of them.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:29 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
but what if those people in the left lane behind the "camper" simply just said "oh well, guess im driving slower today" and simply dealt with it?
Human nature. Seeing people break the law, especially with intent, @#$es people off. Just as someone weaving or speeding makes people angry, so does the self proclaimed traffic cop camped out to cork traffic. I don't know why people think "their" infraction is any less of an infraction when the infraction is actually quite a bit more dangerous and "causes" one of the other. It's just plain stupid.

In most States you can get a ticket for corking traffic, why? Because it creates a dangerous situation. It doesn't matter if others are speeding or weaving. It's all an offense under the law.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 05-18-2015 at 07:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive