Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 02:09 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times

Advertisements

A hovercraft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 07:16 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,050,294 times
Default Car or vehicle not going to solve the issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Thanks, but I don't think you understand Houston's street flooding, nor my question.
Actually, it seems you are the one struggling to understand Houston's flooding and how to deal with it.

Choices:
1. Move
2. Don't drive
3. Buy a bigger car
4. Do nothing and hope the status quo works out ok again

There is no good answer with unpredictable water issues and the best possible answers will be taller vehicles. As I said before, even those have weaknesses that will need to be addressed after driving through water and most people are clueless. The choices are fairly clear and those who are having a little fun with this are simply making light of a challenge that is certainly frustrating, but not going to be solved by a particular vehicle.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:33 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,249,611 times
Out of curiosity how frequently do you experience these flooding events? I thought Houston was in a 5 year drought up until this month.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:36 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,054,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Actually, it seems you are the one struggling to understand Houston's flooding and how to deal with it.

Choices:
1. Move
2. Don't drive
3. Buy a bigger car
4. Do nothing and hope the status quo works out ok again

There is no good answer with unpredictable water issues and the best possible answers will be taller vehicles. As I said before, even those have weaknesses that will need to be addressed after driving through water and most people are clueless. The choices are fairly clear and those who are having a little fun with this are simply making light of a challenge that is certainly frustrating, but not going to be solved by a particular vehicle.
Wow, you're really insistent. I wasn't asking for someone to mansplain life skills, I was asking about a car with high road clearance. On an automotive forum.

Many thanks to everyone who gave me some good ideas!!

Old 06-04-2015, 08:24 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,581 times
Quote:
I live in Houston, which often has street flooding. Lots of people drive pickups because they can tear through high water without a problem. I don't want a pickup or a huge SUV. I like fuel efficient cars (I have a long commute). Are there any vehicles that have a high road clearance (if that's what you call it) that aren't pickups or big SUVs?

Old 06-04-2015, 08:55 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,127,634 times
Hers one for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m817LZ1d5N8

Old 06-04-2015, 10:35 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,054,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
Out of curiosity how frequently do you experience these flooding events? I thought Houston was in a 5 year drought up until this month.
So there was this recent flooding that hit the national news, but that's because bayous overflowed and people's homes were flooded. That's unusual.

In contrast, street flooding can happen almost anytime it rains. I am used to the streets near my house and know what routes to take to avoid it, but near where I work it's less predictable and more widespread. So you go to work on a sunny day, while you're there it starts raining, and suddenly streets are flooded.

Thanks to the poster who recommended the Jeep Renegade... I'm loving the look of that car! Now I just have to save up for one.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:29 PM

50,308 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
So there was this recent flooding that hit the national news, but that's because bayous overflowed and people's homes were flooded. That's unusual.

In contrast, street flooding can happen almost anytime it rains. I am used to the streets near my house and know what routes to take to avoid it, but near where I work it's less predictable and more widespread. So you go to work on a sunny day, while you're there it starts raining, and suddenly streets are flooded.

Thanks to the poster who recommended the Jeep Renegade... I'm loving the look of that car! Now I just have to save up for one.
So you decided on an SUV, congrats!

Old 06-05-2015, 04:51 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
You might find this link helpful. It appears that Subaru's take the cake with the ground clearance on their wagons. Volvo also has some good offerings.

Subaru Outback - In Photos: 14 Best New Cars For Snow - Forbes
I used to have a late '90s Outback. My son put a snorkel on it. You could get some places in that car.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:36 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,450,810 times
Amphicar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Amphicar

Someone in my town owned one growing up and he drove straight down boat ramp in his car to get to seafood restaurant on other side of bay and pull up to dock. Everytime he did it a huge crowd would watch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive