Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 05:22 PM

1,626 posts, read 1,357,397 times

Advertisements

I have a 2005 Subaru Forester that I bought used about 6 years ago. Since purchase, I have had it serviced at a Subaru dealership and kept up on all scheduled maintenance. The last service they performed (10,000 miles ago) included new brake pads all around.

I moved recently to a new area and was looking for a new mechanic. I took the car to an indie import shop because I was hearing a rattle under the car which I thought was maybe a heat shield. I asked if they were experienced with Subarus and they said yes (there was an Outback in one of the bays), so I left the car with them. They called to tell me that the car needed a whole new exhaust from the engine back. They said it was rusting away and falling apart and a whole new exhaust would be $3500, plus the brakes were at 50% and would need to be done soon (I didn't tell them I had just had them done 10,000 miles ago). They said the noise I was hearing was due to the exhaust pipe hitting a broken pipe hanger, which they fixed by breaking off what was left of the hanger and then putting a couple of pipe clamps on as a temporary fix. They said there were no holes in the pipes, though. When I got home I kneeled down and looked at the exhaust but could not see anything that was "rusting away" or "falling apart". Those pipe clamps were holding the pipe to the hanger, but I don't know why the hanger couldn't just have been replaced.

A month later, I decided to have the timing belt done, along with oil change and tire rotation. I took the car to one of the local Subie dealers. When I picked up the car they said *nothing* about the exhaust or the brake pads, but did tell me that my front rotors were all rusted and had a lip on them. I got home and ran my finger along all 4 rotors and they all felt the same, smooth and with no rust. And as a comparison I checked my other car (another Subie) and they felt the same.

I should also mention here that the Forester brakes perform without any problem -- no shuddering, no pulling to one side, etc. The car feels solid to me.

So the exhaust diagnosis is suspect to me because I have trouble believing that the entire exhaust system would fail at the same time. I have had to replace one pipe or another on other cars I've owned but never an entire exhaust all at once. The brake diagnosis is also suspect because they are only 10,000 miles old, and if the rotors were a problem I would think my original dealer would have addressed them when they did the brake service.

Am I missing something? What do you think?

Meanwhile, I've decided to get the next oil change at a different Subie dealer and see if they mention anything about the exhaust or the brakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 05:40 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,083,527 times
Sounds like you should try a different mechanic. Exhaust hangers are usually welded on to the pipe and frame of the car and connected with a rubber piece. It's entirely possible that part of one of the hangers rusted off and the pipe clamp was the only way to restore it. But it sounds like that guy was just looking to make some money off you.

I personally wouldn't be too concerned about the exhaust unless it's getting louder, your can't pass emissions, or you're trying to sell the car. Chances of it just falling without getting much louder first are slim. And even if it does, it won't necessarily leave you stranded.

If you want, you could buy a set of ramps (or visit a friend that has some) and get a good look under the car. Not a bad idea to do time to time so you can tell if a mechanic is trying to scam you.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:45 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,259,463 times
Quote:
a whole new exhaust would be $3500
Is this exhaust made of gold or some sort of unobtainium?

Quote:
plus the brakes were at 50% and would need to be done soon (I didn't tell them I had just had them done 10,000 miles ago)
The guy couldn't rob you any better if he had a gun.
And what do you do if someone's trying to rob you with a gun? Run away!!

Old 07-01-2015, 06:29 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,211,264 times
You should have asked the shop to show you the areas of the exhaust that are rotted. That means putting it on the lift and then showing you. Same thing with the brakes. Have them pull a wheel and show you.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:55 AM

1,626 posts, read 1,357,397 times
Thanks for the replies.
Yes, definitely unobtainium, mined from the planet Locos.
Good idea to have them show me! I will do that next time.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:58 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
It sounds like he thought he had an easy mark. The indy mechanic was crooked and the dealership, while less crooked, tried a pretty normal dealer upsell.

As for the brakes, at 50%, you don't need to replace them, and at 10,000 miles, you could be at 50%. Do you refill your gas at half a tank? Replace your tires at half the mileage rating for them? No.

As to the exhaust, get under there and look at it. Its probably fine, but even if it falls out, all that happens is it gets noisy, until you have to pass emissions for it.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:24 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times
We all tend to second guess the shop or the mechanic. Trust takes a long time to build.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:28 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,152,589 times
I had a similar situation with a Toyota that my wife had back in the 90s. I took it to the dealer for an oil change and they told me that the oil pan was rusting and needed to be replaced to the tune of $500. The car was maybe 4 years old at the time so I was skeptical. I told them to hold off and got a second opinion. The second opinion was that the oil pan was fine.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:06 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,472,831 times
In today's world, you have the advantages of the internet to find good local independent mechanics. Sites like Yelp might help you to find a mechanic that you can trust. Heck, even your state's forum on C-D can probably help you find a good local, trustworthy mechanic.

Honestly, though, I don't understand why some people feel the need to pay for so much preventative maintenance on modern vehicles. For instance, my Honda dealership wanted me to replace spark plugs and do about $600 worth of "scheduled" maintenance on the car when it hit 30,000 miles. That was the last time I took it there for an oil change. A Honda Accord which was only about a couple years old at that point should not need that amount of maintenance to make it last. I can see kicking up the maintenance the closer you get to 100,000 miles, but not when the car is basically brand new.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:58 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,211,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
Thanks for the replies.
Yes, definitely unobtainium, mined from the planet Locos.
Good idea to have them show me! I will do that next time.
Take pictures also....that way you can post them on here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive