Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 07:44 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,045,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
Thought about making some upgrades on the car instead?
You can lower the car for better handling and replace the brake hose to stainless steel for better feel.
This is the worst advice I have ever seen. It might do something, but the op wasn't looking for this type of advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 07:46 AM

505 posts, read 850,493 times
Did you not do a test drive before buying the car?

Old 07-27-2015, 07:47 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,911,155 times
It's amazing how much love there has been for Subarus. I frankly can't get over the look which is always going to be hurdle #1 - I would never buy one but that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
These days Audi is top dog out of those choices. BMW isn't what it once was IMHO. I have owned a few, but no more. Quality isn't there anymore. Audi on the other hand seems to have made great strides.
I don't know what BMWs you've had - maybe the ones with fewer electronics compared to now... but BMW has actually gained on the quality list in the last few years.

2015 U.S. Initial Quality Study (IQS) | J.D. Power

Audi on the other hand isn't impressing, although I like their styling.

Last edited by ovi8; 07-27-2015 at 07:55 AM..

Old 07-27-2015, 07:49 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,797,510 times
We ended up with a CX-5. We test drove an Outback and we like it ok, but it was more expensive and its CVT was crappy compared to the Honda CRV, at least we thought. I also drives more like a raised midsized car.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:26 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,033,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
It's amazing how much love there has been for Subarus. I frankly can't get over the look which is always going to be hurdle #1 - I would never buy one but that's just me.

I don't know what BMWs you've had - maybe the ones with fewer electronics compared to now... but BMW has actually gained on the quality list in the last few years.

2015 U.S. Initial Quality Study (IQS) | J.D. Power

Audi on the other hand isn't impressing, although I like their styling.
Initial studies are meaningless and they only mention a 2 series, 4 series and 5 series, but really it says nothing.

I have had a 735 and 330i. I loved the 330i, but the Audi is better for my uses. Clearly the BMW would be much better than some Subaru that drives like a truck.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:27 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,033,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
We ended up with a CX-5. We test drove an Outback and we like it ok, but it was more expensive and its CVT was crappy compared to the Honda CRV, at least we thought. I also drives more like a raised midsized car.
I don't think the OP should waste their time with another raised vehicle. They are all bricks on the road and really bad at everything. Best to stick with the German choices if you are a driver.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:33 AM

4,499 posts, read 3,877,757 times
i have heard that the MB and BMW small SUVs drive/handle amazing

that said, i prefer a wagon (lower utility vehicle) if i can get it

now that i have had the outback i would still like to have the ability to haul 10 bags of mulch easily, but i now realize i am not willing to sacrifice the ability to switch lanes and accelerate and pass cars on the highway either

Old 07-27-2015, 08:38 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,051,140 times
A true, non-SUV wagon is rare in the market now but not unheard of. Go check out the Audi Allroad, and the couple wagons at your local Volvo dealer. A BMW 4 series Gran Coupe may be of interest too, if the cargo area is big enough for your use. (It is more of a fastback than a true wagon). Unfortunately these will also all be much more expensive than the Outback was, but you may be able to mitigate that by going with a used CPO of an of these with the added warranty coverage they offer (which also could put a 3 series wagon into play too).

Also maybe in the late model used market you could turn up an Accord Crosstour, which like the Gran Coupe is a bit of a fastback/wagon but is big enough in size that I think it might work better than the Gran Coupe for your needs.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:38 AM

3,106 posts, read 4,001,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
So I bought a new 2014 4 cyl Subaru Outback thinking this car would be great to haul stuff and for transporting my border collie. It does in fact do a great job of hauling stuff. But for day to day driving the car drives like absolute crap. Horrible handling, horrible acceleration, horrible braking.

Can someone please tell me if there is a station wagon or small SUV out there that handles like a car? That doesn't choke when you need to pass someone on the highway? That has a good brake system? That doesn't drift all over the road like my Outback does?
Because I obviously made a big, big mistake in thinking an Outback would be a good daily commuter car.

Does anyone have any experience with the BMW or Audi or Volvo wagons?
My CX-5 handles and brakes and accelerates plenty well. It's actually fun in the mountains, and this coming from a former Z06 Corvette and 370Z Sport owner. I'm pleased.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:41 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,363,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I did, I tested the car three times before I bought it and for some reason I did not notice these things. I think it's b/c when you are test-driving the car, you are not driving like you would day to day. You are going slow and being careful and you don't notice certain things. Or at least that's how it is for me.

Oh and by the way: the "soft" squishy brakes, the drifting all over the road, and the poor acceleration are all common complaints about this car. So they are not correctable problems. (I have already complained to the dealer and the dealer says there's nothing wrong with the car, that's how the car is, etc.)

I think what happened was when they raised this car and made it more SUV-like (I think starting in 2010 but I'm sure there's a Subaru expert out there who will correct me), they did not compensate for the extra height and weight by improving the acceleration, handling and brakes. This car used to be a true station wagon that was smaller and lower and likely much better to drive.
did you test drive it Op? and try get the upgraded engine and avoid the base N/A the 2.5L 173HP Flat 4 and go for the 256HP N/A 3.6L Flat 6 or the 296HP 2.0 DOHC flat four turbo ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive