Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 08:44 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,999,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I don't think the OP should waste their time with another raised vehicle. They are all bricks on the road and really bad at everything. Best to stick with the German choices if you are a driver.
You obviously love German stuff, and some of it is very good, but it's hardly the panacea you make it out to be, and it comes with as many drawbacks as it does good. Audi's are famous for burning oil with their newer motors, for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 08:51 AM

13,717 posts, read 12,472,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Does anyone have any experience with the BMW or Audi or Volvo wagons?
My mom had a Volvo wagon. Very planted, solid handling car. Great seats. There was some turbo lag, but it wasn't a huge problem. If you aren't expecting sportscar like acceleration the wind up time won't bother you.

Quote:
Oh and by the way: the "soft" squishy brakes, the drifting all over the road, and the poor acceleration are all common complaints about this car. So they are not correctable problems. (I have already complained to the dealer and the dealer says there's nothing wrong with the car, that's how the car is, etc.)
Don't be so sure. Just because there isn't anything WRONG with the car, doesn't mean that it can't be fixed. Subaru's have quite the culture of modifiers behind them. Performance brakes and a stiffer suspension may make all the difference in the world.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:08 AM

4,489 posts, read 3,871,414 times
i am most definitely NOT a modifier. i am a 30s female that likes to haul stuff AND drive fast and i take all my cars to the dealer for everything

Old 07-27-2015, 09:21 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,271,294 times
I haven't driven one, but IMO the Volvo V60 wagon is very good looking.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:24 AM

431 posts, read 450,511 times
The 4 cylinder outback is a dog.
If you want a fast sub you want the WRX but it's a plonker car and not really for hauling around all your kite boards, skis and patagonia fleece.

IMO the BMW X's are better handling than what Audi has in that class. It's like the ultimate 30s Female That Likes To Haul Stuff AND Drive Fast car. They are mostly a "poor value" proposition though. TCO is like 2x that of anything Subaru sells.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:31 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,159,299 times
Quote:
I did, I tested the car three times before I bought it and for some reason I did not notice these things. I think it's b/c when you are test-driving the car, you are not driving like you would day to day. You are going slow and being careful and you don't notice certain things. Or at least that's how it is for me.

Oh and by the way: the "soft" squishy brakes, the drifting all over the road, and the poor acceleration are all common complaints about this car. So they are not correctable problems. (I have already complained to the dealer and the dealer says there's nothing wrong with the car, that's how the car is, etc.)

I think what happened was when they raised this car and made it more SUV-like (I think starting in 2010 but I'm sure there's a Subaru expert out there who will correct me), they did not compensate for the extra height and weight by improving the acceleration, handling and brakes. This car used to be a true station wagon that was smaller and lower and likely much better to drive.

Did you try test driving the Outback 3.6R?

Old 07-27-2015, 09:34 AM

29,575 posts, read 14,720,164 times
Quote:
So I bought a new 2014 4 cyl Subaru Outback thinking this car would be great to haul stuff and for transporting my border collie. It does in fact do a great job of hauling stuff. But for day to day driving the car drives like absolute crap. Horrible handling, horrible acceleration, horrible braking.

Can someone please tell me if there is a station wagon or small SUV out there that handles like a car? That doesn't choke when you need to pass someone on the highway? That has a good brake system? That doesn't drift all over the road like my Outback does?
Because I obviously made a big, big mistake in thinking an Outback would be a good daily commuter car.

Wow, sorry to hear that. I would never purchase an Asian OEM vehicle but if I was it would be a Subaru. Love the WRX and the Outback seems like a very versatile vehicle, especially for a daily driver.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:57 AM

4,489 posts, read 3,871,414 times
no i did not test drive the 6 cylinder outback b/c i was afraid it would guzzle gas
turns out, the 4 cylinder is not that great on gas anyway

Old 07-27-2015, 10:02 AM

431 posts, read 450,511 times
Fast crossover and gas guzzler are pretty interlinked.

What you want is the 2016 X5 hybrid but it's going to cost double what you paid for your Subaru.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:08 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,994,565 times
Quote:
So I bought a new 2014 4 cyl Subaru Outback thinking this car would be great to haul stuff and for transporting my border collie. It does in fact do a great job of hauling stuff. But for day to day driving the car drives like absolute crap. Horrible handling, horrible acceleration, horrible braking.

Can someone please tell me if there is a station wagon or small SUV out there that handles like a car? That doesn't choke when you need to pass someone on the highway? That has a good brake system? That doesn't drift all over the road like my Outback does?
Because I obviously made a big, big mistake in thinking an Outback would be a good daily commuter car.

Strange. I never had any such problems with my Outbacks. Both the wagon and the sedan were great little cars. Both had the four cylinder engine and automatic transmission. the Service Manager at the local dealer warned me away from the 6 cylinder models, saying they were horrible to work on, and the service charges would be exorbitant.
But then, they were both 2006 models. I don't know anything about the newer ones.
I would never buy anything newer than 2006 anyway. I don't like them. ANY of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive