Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 06:51 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Strange rule to have when some airports are so huge you (practically) need a shuttle/people-mover to get from one part of the airport to another part of the same airport.
I have had to take shuttles that definitely leave the airport perimeter and go into town. They are usually third tier car rentals, like Dollar , Fox etc. I am going to San Diego next month and I am renting from Avis. Le’t see where they are at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 09:06 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,470,837 times
Renting at the airport is cheaper than renting at a downtown location, but renting on-site at the airport is more expensive than off-site. I believe this is the distinction the original poster was trying to make.

On-site is located on the airport property and is usually walking distance from the terminal or a short tram ride. Off-site is near the airport, but not physically on the property, and requires a bus ride. The rental agency provides the bus ride free of charge and picks you up in front of the terminal. The off-site option is usually cheaper, but takes extra time. Many rental agencies have both on-site and offsite locations at major airports, and it often confuses customers when they are researching rentals.

The downtown locations are usually the most expensive and you are on your own as far as transportation there. These locations are usually convenient for someone already staying downtown who only wants a rental part of their trip. It may be more expensive, but you avoid the cost of commuting back and forth from the airport on both ends.

Last edited by Nolefan34; 08-03-2015 at 09:48 PM..

Old 08-04-2015, 04:41 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Renting at the airport is always cheaper here versus stand alone locations across town. The only thing I can figure out is that the airport locations rent a higher volume of cars, therefore they can be priced lower, and there's also more direct competition. I have also noticed the cars at the airport tend to be newer with less miles on them.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:55 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,172,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Memo from outside the little bubble you live in: many airports are large enough that rental fleets that are still on-site are far enough away that it is necessary to provide transport to them. That doesn't make them "not at the airport" it just makes them too far away to walk, especially with luggage.
Like the Philly airport, for example.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:06 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Renting at the airport is always cheaper here versus stand alone locations across town. The only thing I can figure out is that the airport locations rent a higher volume of cars, therefore they can be priced lower, and there's also more direct competition. I have also noticed the cars at the airport tend to be newer with less miles on them.
I think the difference is also the customer demographic.

Airport renters will likely be either tourists or business travelers. Tourists are very price conscious. Many businesses, especially small businesses, are also price conscious though not to the same degree. Both typically reserve in advance and have time to shop for the best deal.

Local renters are largely people who need a car while their own car is in the shop being repaired or replaced due to some unforeseen predicament (auto accidents, stolen vehicle, etc.). These people are probably using insurance so who cares how much it costs so long as insurance pays for it. And they are often faced with needing a rental immediately, no time to shop.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Airport is always higher in my limited experience (about 20 trips per yr for last 40 yrs). occasionally I get an exceptional 'deal' on Hotwire / priceline. (like a $4.95/day car from DEN INCLUDING fees (which are far more than $10.day). I put 3800 miles on that one in 7 days!)

but... they are raping me tomorrow ($54/ day in DEN). I am tempted to buy a $500 CL car, not register it, and abandon it at airport on my way out of town. BTDT a few times. Risky (don't get stopped!) I carry valid (current) plates with me and add as needed. Insurance is a BIGGY.... and reason to shudder, BUT... 40% of the drivers you meet don't carry insurance anyway! (scary)

Old 08-05-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
San Antonio's airport ...
But that's about to change. ...they just broke ground on a new rental car pick-up/drop-off facility that will be just a few steps from the terminals.

It's all about convenience, I guess.
Oh, good news... I do SAT 2-3x / month and was seriously considering dropping my car in ST parking on Monday cuz I was LATE for flight. Rental car company said they would not fetch it, and would let it get abandoned and impounded!!! and charge me loss of use ($100+ / day) (I buy a lot of impound cars, but don't want to be buying a rental car that way!) so... I dropped the car at their remote site and computers were down (could not check it in) and shuttle delayed so... I did make the flight with 2 minutes to spare before they shut the gate. (no line at TAA and no 'Audit' thank goodness. ) need to plan better next time (and hope for no traffic / road construction)

Old 08-05-2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I have had to take shuttles that definitely leave the airport perimeter and go into town. They are usually third tier car rentals, like Dollar , Fox etc. I am going to San Diego next month and I am renting from Avis. Le’t see where they are at.
SAN is a very EZ airport. Avis is very close. Unless on business... I rarely rent in SAN due to proximity to town / beach / public transit. I can fly 1200 miles direct from PDX to SAN for $23.10 (sunbreak from 280 days of drizzle). I just go for the day for that rate! Down at 5AM and home by midnight. No car or hotel required.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:32 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,358 times
I've been in and around the car rental business for almost 30 years.

Airports near popular vacation destinations tend to be cheaper because of volume. Your average downtown rental office might have 300 cars if they are very big and busy. The average rental car company in Orlando has between 3000-5000 cars. These companies run on economies of scale.

Rental locations in high demand areas will always be more expensive. Example, one company owns 4 locations. They share vehicles between all 4 locations but the rates at each office are VERY different. $35/day at their location that services the local dealership. $65/day at the City location that services the hotels and the wealthy locals who don't own vehicles. Same vehicle. Same company. MUCH different rate.

As for the fees that are charged at most airports...there are rules in all big cities that these fees only pertain to people who FLY into the airport. Locals do not pay these fees for the most part. This may sound great but many airport locations WILL NOT rent to locals. There is a certain safety in renting only to people from out of town. At some point they need to go home. They typically don't know many people in the area. There is MUCH less chance the vehicle will be stolen or crashed because they still need to get around while they are there. Getting a replacement vehicle after an accident is difficult and in some cases impossible. Getting a rental vehicle days after you've arrived from another rental company is difficult and in some cases impossible.

If you do find an airport/hotel rental location that will rent to a local, the rate for someone flying into the airport is generally cheaper than it is for the local. Since you have to give your Drivers License to the agent at the time of rental it is very easy to tell where you are from and or ask to see your ticket stubs from the flight.

So what do you do, call around. Most mom and pop shops will be MUCH cheaper than the big name brands. This is typically due to the no-names running cars for up to 5 years where the name brands have to get rid of cars after 2 years. They will usually run much higher mileage vehicles as well. This does not always mean you are getting a bad vehicle, just that you are not paying a premium for a brand new vehicle.

Also, look for corporate locations VS privately owned franchise locations. Franchises are allowed a lot of freedom in determining their own rates. Many times corporate locations will define a static rate for a region of a state and all location within that region will be the same (As long as its not at an airport/hotel/tourist destination.

Another option is to call your local new car dealership. There are a TON if dealerships across the country that now offer replacement vehicles themselves instead of out sourcing to the likes of Enterprise. Since most warranty companies only pay $25-$30 for a replacement, the dealership rental prices aren't much higher than that.

Last resort, call Enterprise. As much as I despise some of their business practices, they are generally amazing to their customers, have a HUGE selection of different vehicle types, and have better rates than most other brand name rental locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive