Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 11:07 AM

188 posts, read 597,000 times

Advertisements

I read lots of articles saying it's cheaper to rent a car from locations other than the airport, but that has never been the case for me. For example, Avis at DFW is much much cheaper than Dallas downtown hotels or Sears auto center. So why is that? Often the surcharge I have to pay from a hotel rental location is much more than the airport rental too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 11:11 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
I have never seen a hotel rent cars, but if you rent from a company outside of the airport, it will in fact be cheaper just because of all the surcharges Airports like to charge.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:13 AM

396 posts, read 512,830 times
Quote:
I have never seen a hotel rent cars, but if you rent from a company outside of the airport, it will in fact be cheaper just because of all the surcharges Airports like to charge.
^^ This. It has been our experience that renting in a location outside the airport is cheaper because of airport surcharges. DFW might be the exception rather than the general rule of thumb.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:17 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
They may claim they are at the airport but if I still have to take a shuttle then it is not an airport location.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:39 PM

9,882 posts, read 7,212,572 times
But if they have a counter at the airport or airport property, it is still "at the airport."

Many airports are moving the rental company cars over to a central area but they are still on airport.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
It's the opposite here, too. People will take the light rail or a bus to a nearby city where they can rent a car for less. The companies at the airport have to pay for their big new rental car facility, and shuttle buses. For me, the convenience is worth something though, so I always rent at the airport when traveling.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:10 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
They may claim they are at the airport but if I still have to take a shuttle then it is not an airport location.
Do you expect the cars to be parked right outside the terminal door for you?

I swear you post some of the densest stuff I've ever seen.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:18 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Even with fees, some airports are much less expensive on the daily rate, which adds up over a rental. DCA and IAD are less expensive than surrounding areas in DC, and in NYC, the city locations are more expensive than the airports. The concession fees and extra taxes can add to the cost, but if booking with a good rate guarantee or through a third-party discounter, often the airport locations can be less expensive, in my experience too.

I never look for an off-airport rental because the hassle of getting to/from can be worse than the trip to the destination, not to mention using a cab or car service to get there negates all, or most of, the savings by avoiding special taxes and fees for the airport.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-02-2015, 03:14 PM

4,329 posts, read 7,235,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
But if they have a counter at the airport or airport property, it is still "at the airport."

Many airports are moving the rental company cars over to a central area but they are still on airport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Do you expect the cars to be parked right outside the terminal door for you?

I swear you post some of the densest stuff I've ever seen.
San Antonio's airport is an example where rental car companies have to shuttle their customers to pick-up/drop-off locations either elsewhere on airport property, or near the airport. They have rental counters in one of the two side-by-side terminals, though, and the usual "airport fees" apply to cars rented there.

But that's about to change. Driven by complaints from travelers, they just broke ground on a new rental car pick-up/drop-off facility that will be just a few steps from the terminals.

It's all about convenience, I guess.

Old 08-02-2015, 03:35 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
Airport rental is more expensive where I live. When I do rent, it's usually for large SUV, which they only have at the airport. The counter person is usually confused when I am at the counter and they ask me "how was your flight". I will tell them, I didn't fly..just got dropped off to pick up a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive