Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 10:48 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times

Advertisements

Being a car-loving, mechanical engineer....there are a lot of modifications I see which I don't agree merit any sort of performance upgrade, and can actually be a downgrade of some sorts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 10:52 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dburger View Post
I do not think stanced cars or donks are hazardous in any way,
They can be.

Reduced contact patch size, stiffened suspension that may not be properly dampened resulting in tire leaving the pavement, suspensions bumping off the bumpstops.

Fact is the tire is the only part of a car that touches the road. Affecting the way it makes contact by reducing the contact patch size, and modifying the suspension to reduce and/or stiffen travel can have adverse effects in the way a car handles.

Lots of enthusiasts claim the modify their cars to handle better, but often this is not the case as the mods they chose to do make the car handle worse.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:58 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dburger View Post
There are some "ridiculous" car modifications that have bad rep, but there are always people who like 'em.

For me it's...
Donks
You?
I appreciate the last of the big American autos; GM in particular. That Caprice is hideous.

The favorite cars of the donkheads are the late model GMs and Ford CV. I have a 93 Caddy and the idiots donk those and ruin them. Worst is when they make low riders out of them. The cars are unfit for anything else after the ruination. Imagine a 4500 lb car hopping up and down on hydraulics. I bought some parts parts from a guy who broke the frame/engine block of a big Caddy while hopping the thing at 65 mph [his words] and the only thing left of it was the parts he could sell.
I will repeat...those cars are ruined after any of those mods have been done to the cars as the geometry of the suspension has been compromised and weakened to the point of dangerous.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:41 PM

899 posts, read 1,015,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I appreciate the last of the big American autos; GM in particular. That Caprice is hideous.

The favorite cars of the donkheads are the late model GMs and Ford CV. I have a 93 Caddy and the idiots donk those and ruin them. Worst is when they make low riders out of them. The cars are unfit for anything else after the ruination. Imagine a 4500 lb car hopping up and down on hydraulics. I bought some parts parts from a guy who broke the frame/engine block of a big Caddy while hopping the thing at 65 mph [his words] and the only thing left of it was the parts he could sell.
I will repeat...those cars are ruined after any of those mods have been done to the cars as the geometry of the suspension has been compromised and weakened to the point of dangerous.
Hopping the thing at 65 was dumb. THAT is why it broke, not simply because of the mods. I picked a donk that I actually liked. Some I like, some I don't.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:14 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
The wheel covers that turn backward or spin. I see them out of the corner of my and it immediately (1) sends me into a panic because I think my car is doing something weird and stomp on the brake (2) I start to get a little motion sick.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:06 PM

892 posts, read 1,500,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
That is an old Jeep, CJ era? Cant believe it is a DD.
Why not? Just because it's old? Up until recently, I daily drove a '62 IH Scout - 4 wheel drums, manual brakes, manual steering, no A/C (in the Phoenix desert no less!), etc. Did just fine...what's the problem?

Old 08-05-2015, 05:25 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,093,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
Why not? Just because it's old? Up until recently, I daily drove a '62 IH Scout - 4 wheel drums, manual brakes, manual steering, no A/C (in the Phoenix desert no less!), etc. Did just fine...what's the problem?
If you ignore their offroading prowess (which is quite good), those Jeeps are really crummy cars to drive daily when compared to most (all?) modern cars. Even modern Wranglers are pretty awful.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:01 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,824,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
The thing is that a little negative camber is good for cornering, so it has an engineering basis. It was just taken to absurd levels by kids who didn't know any better. Just like putting a giant wing on the back of a FWD car - some dumb kid saw it and thought it looked good, and didn't give any consideration to the fact that it's actually making the car handle like crap. Form over function, I spose.
You know if a fwdcar is raced, a rear wing is needed, they aren't immune to rear lift, but for some everyday non raced car with a pep boys speed kit, it does look stupid.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
They can be.

Reduced contact patch size, stiffened suspension that may not be properly dampened resulting in tire leaving the pavement, suspensions bumping off the bumpstops.

Fact is the tire is the only part of a car that touches the road. Affecting the way it makes contact by reducing the contact patch size, and modifying the suspension to reduce and/or stiffen travel can have adverse effects in the way a car handles.

Lots of enthusiasts claim the modify their cars to handle better, but often this is not the case as the mods they chose to do make the car handle worse.
Donks don't have a reduced contact patch, it is usually the same as stock, or wider. I do worry aboit those who don't run bigger brakes, well not really, more like the rest of us, for the ones that don't run bigger brakes. Makes me happy when I see one with broken suspension components.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
If you ignore their offroading prowess (which is quite good), those Jeeps are really crummy cars to drive daily when compared to most (all?) modern cars. Even modern Wranglers are pretty awful.
Driven everyday just like Fieros, as long as the drivers know the limitations, it's not a problem. There's only a handfull of modern cars I would even want to drive. At least with something old; problems are usually easily, cheaply repairable, and mostly mechanical. I'd rather drive a CJ, than say a Tesla that'll rival my phone apps in software uodates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive