Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 08:11 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,890,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Show me a law anywhere that says that.

The OP pertains to no laws as there are none to back it up. Too many feel they own the road so others should drive as they do. Most of these are aggressive drivers, most likely have received a few tickets for it and others are to blame.

Ever been flipped off by some idiot because you weren't driving Indy style?
Sorry, I don't work any longer so commuting is a thing of the past. I don't care if you left the house late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 12:21 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,485,990 times
I've seen some of you exact speed limit road blockers in action, When another lane finally opens up for someone to pass you, you speed up to prevent them passing, hoping to reach the next slow vehicle to drive beside and block the road again.

Old 08-15-2015, 04:12 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,025,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
The OP pertains to no laws as there are none to back it up. Too many feel they own the road so others should drive as they do. Most of these are aggressive drivers, most likely have received a few tickets for it and others are to blame.
Thats why this entire thread is so ridicules. Just a lot of bickering between people who think they should be able to drive as fast as they want in the left lane, and everybody should just get out of their way, like they have the same powers as an emergency vehicle running with lights and siren, and other people who think they should be able to drive as slow as they want in what ever lane they want.

The reality is some where in the middle. Everybody needs to cooperate with everybody else. If you are driving faster then everybody else, then maybe you should slow down, or at least be patient and wait your turn to pass. If everybody is passing you, then maybe you should speed up, or at least stay in the right lane.

Personally the situation doesn't really bother me much. If someone wants to left lane block me, I will pass them on the right, eventually.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:18 AM

276 posts, read 337,951 times
After reading through this thread it seems to me that it comes down to personality types. Some have a live and let live type of personality, others, more the fascist dictator type. You can argue till your blue in the face, your not likely to change someones personality or their beliefs no matter what side of the argument your on.

I also see some Dunning-Kruger effect going on here.
From Wikipedia:

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias wherein relatively unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability to be much higher than is accurate. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to accurately evaluate their own ability level. Conversely, highly skilled individuals may underestimate their relative competence, erroneously assuming that tasks that are easy for them are also easy for others.

People have different skill levels. Like it or not, we are not all created equal. Equal rights, sure, but not equal abilities.

I suspect that some of the folks that get upset at people driving faster than them think that that person is exceeding his or her driving skill level and being very dangerous. In reality they may or may not be.

Speed limits are not set to accommodate the most skilled drivers. They are set to to keep the lowest skilled drivers safe. For example, speed limits are almost always set quite low in areas with a large elderly population due to slower reflexes and slower mental function of the elderly (It's happening to me).

Those complaining about people camping in the left lane might also be suffering from the Dunnin-Kruger effect. Changing lanes is as easy as breathing for you and you think it's easy for everyone.

Some people have a very difficult time with spacial problems like changing lanes, using mirrors, varying speed, multiple moving objects, etc.
So they simply get in the left lane away from merging traffic and remain there. I've known several people like this. You can often identify them by the way the sharply turn their head, hard left and/or hard right several times when changing lanes. An indication that they have a difficult time understanding what they see in their mirrors. I give these people extra space, it's safer.

Knowing this, I don't get too upset and just pass them on the right if it's allowed and when it's safe.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:35 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
Personally the situation doesn't really bother me much. If someone wants to left lane block me, I will pass them on the right, eventually.
This illustrates the point I've been trying to make. This is a dangerous driving practice that leads to more accidents.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neosec View Post

Those complaining about people camping in the left lane might also be suffering from the Dunnin-Kruger effect. Changing lanes is as easy as breathing for you and you think it's easy for everyone.

If you have difficulty changing lanes then you don't belong in the left lane to begin with.

Quote:

Knowing this, I don't get too upset and just pass them on the right if it's allowed and when it's safe.
And when the driver who has difficulty changing lanes decides they are going to move into the right lane? It's much more difficult to see someone on your right especially if you are not situationally aware and uncomfortable using mirrors. Passing on the right is never a safe practice in particular if it's a truck.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:57 AM

276 posts, read 337,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

And when the driver who has difficulty changing lanes decides they are going to move into the right lane? It's much more difficult to see someone on your right especially if you are not situationally aware and uncomfortable using mirrors. Passing on the right is never a safe practice in particular if it's a truck.
Passing on the right is perfectly legal in many states. It's up to the driver to decide if it's safe to do at that particular moment. As I said: "if it's allowed and when it's safe."

Old 08-15-2015, 10:15 AM

25,560 posts, read 17,267,108 times
Quote:
Thats why this entire thread is so ridicules. Just a lot of bickering between people who think they should be able to drive as fast as they want in the left lane, and everybody should just get out of their way, like they have the same powers as an emergency vehicle running with lights and siren, and other people who think they should be able to drive as slow as they want in what ever lane they want.

The reality is some where in the middle. Everybody needs to cooperate with everybody else. If you are driving faster then everybody else, then maybe you should slow down, or at least be patient and wait your turn to pass. If everybody is passing you, then maybe you should speed up, or at least stay in the right lane.

Yeah, that's the way I see it. If someone wants to drive 80 MPH it's not up to me to accommodate them. But, if it's no trouble I'll move over - I'd rather they got a ticket for doing 80 than me getting one for doing 75.

BTW: When I get tired, I slow down. Relax, put it in the right lane and go a couple MPH less than the speed limit. That helps a lot.
I was a trucker for a while - 750,000 miles - and Friday traffic in some areas is murder! Ditto with rush hour traffic. Rush hour traffic is usually too fast when you're outside the city; those people know exactly how long their commute is and you had better not get in their way!

Old 08-15-2015, 10:38 AM

794 posts, read 818,416 times
Threads like this make me feel good about myself for being a normal, well adjusted person and driver.

My style? Sure, I speed a little bit on the highway, I like to keep up with the flow of traffic, not too fast, not too slow. Faster than some, slower than others. If I'm in the left lane I'm generally passing, but if I'm not passing and someone comes up behind me (whether 1 mph faster than me or 100 mph faster than me), I move right for them with no personal feeling at all towards them one way or another. What do I care how fast they want to go, I am not a cop and it's not my business - and I am certainly not threatened or offended by anyone passing me. Who cares.

I apply the "I'm not a cop and it's not my business" and "why catch feelings over others behaviors" when driving anywhere and you know what? I have relatively little stress while driving even though I super commute and work in the DC area. The people who harp on about letter of the law limits (and whatever else) are at the end of the day only creating a big fat ball of unhealthy stress for themselves as they angst over things they will never change.

My bottom line is that people are way too emotional behind the wheel, and cannot seem to grasp and reconcile driving courtesy and custom with driving law (which simply will never run exactly parallel with one another).

Old 08-15-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neosec View Post
Passing on the right is perfectly legal in many states. It's up to the driver to decide if it's safe to do at that particular moment. As I said: "if it's allowed and when it's safe."
I don't care if it's legal or not, it's an unsafe driving practice. The only time you should be doing this is when it's unavoidable such as heavy congestion. This is one of the reasons they need start ticketing people camping in the left lane. If you pass on the right on the Autobahn they will issue you ticket, they will also issue you one for blocking the left lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive