Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 08:39 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,252,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
IDK, I drive in the right lane, at or close to the speed limit.

But I still get idiots following 1/2 second behind me, or passing me on the left...then erratically pulling in front of me with a few feet to spare and no turn signal.
In the future you will be able to sue the person for cutting in front of you. All you have to do is push the sue button, and the automated judge will take all the evidence into account in a fraction of a second. The automatic video from the front and rear of each vehicle, and all other relevant evidence. Then, if the person really did obnoxiously cut in front of you, the automatic judge will award you $2, and it will be automatically transferred to your account. But if it didn't actually happen that way, the judge will fine you $2 for filing a frivolous lawsuit, and that will automatically be transferred out of your account. If you want to avoid such bad-driving lawsuits, your best option is to let your car drive itself, and tell it to always be polite, and to only sue when it has a solid case. In any case, your real problem is that you live in our present barbaric age, instead of the more civilized future, in which people will do micro-lawuits instead of getting road rage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 10:29 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
It's more a sarcastic variation of "people don't get to pick and choose which laws they obey." Obeying one law does not relieve you of your obligation to obey all the other laws.
Exactly! Including the speed limit.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
I wonder why state governments don't add qualifying legal statements regarding speed limits when they post these signs on the road. The message is clear and simple, speed irregardless, if you are moving slower than those around you, keep right.
I wonder why state governments don't add clarifying language to speed limit signs that say "unless you really don't wanna go this slow". The message on the speed limit sign is clear and simple; if you are driving on this road, no matter how great a driver you think you are, don't exceed this speed.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you want safe highways and to reduce accidents you need a nice flow of traffic, speed limits hinder that...

Get rid of the speed limit, stay right(unless it's congested, left exit etc), pass left, no tailgating and no passing on the right. Doing these things will reduce accidents and everyone can get along a little better on the highway.

When you eliminate the people camping in the left lane a lot of those issues go away. You're always going to have idiots that are going to drive like idiots. Police need to quit be lazy targeting speeders and go after the idiots whether they are in the left lane, tailgating or weaving in and out of traffic.
That's asinine.

The purpose of speed limits is to let drivers know what the top speed is they should all be driving. If everyone drove the speed limit or within a mile or two of it, you'd have a nice flow of traffic. It's when people decide that the speed limit doesn't or shouldn't apply to them because they don't agree with it and drive whatever speed they, in their infinite wisdom fueled by ego, decide they can handle, the heck with the other cars on the road, that the "nice flow of traffic" is hindered.

Same with people who drive significantly below the speed limit

BOTH cause a problem. All obeying the speed limit would generate that nice flow of traffic you feel is so important.

And the police don't target the speeders near enough, which is what causes the problem in the first place. Someone driving the speed limit (not below it) in the left lane should not be a problem for anyone other than the "I'm a GREAT driver in my own mind and limits don't apply to me" crowd.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:34 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,748 times
I would venture folks should obey all traffic laws, but leave the enforcement to the cops. It's not my job or duty to make someone else follow the laws.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:42 AM

Oh, sure, and that's why I drive in the right or, if available, middle lane, to stay out of the way of the "F1 racer in their own mind" crowd as well as the "traffic on the freeway MUST at all times yield to traffic on the on ramp" crowd. However, the law is what it is, and not liking it doesn't mean that it's okay for you to break it and insist that someone else obey the one that makes it easier for you to break the first one. That's just being a spoiled hypocrite.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:53 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,606,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
That's asinine.

The purpose of speed limits is to let drivers know what the top speed is they should all be driving. If everyone drove the speed limit or within a mile or two of it, you'd have a nice flow of traffic. It's when people decide that the speed limit doesn't or shouldn't apply to them because they don't agree with it and drive whatever speed they, in their infinite wisdom fueled by ego, decide they can handle, the heck with the other cars on the road, that the "nice flow of traffic" is hindered.

Same with people who drive significantly below the speed limit

BOTH cause a problem. All obeying the speed limit would generate that nice flow of traffic you feel is so important.

And the police don't target the speeders near enough, which is what causes the problem in the first place. Someone driving the speed limit (not below it) in the left lane should not be a problem for anyone other than the "I'm a GREAT driver in my own mind and limits don't apply to me" crowd.

Yeah, its not "asinine". Your mythical world where everyone travels the same speed would also be less effective to flow than just keeping right. You apparently just lack the ability to grasp the concept because you don't trust your self beyond posted limits. Its good that you know your limits, but you can stop being vigilantedrive55 and endangering and inconveniencing others because of your incorrect assumptions.
I drive thousands of miles regulary on many roadways, some with a posted 85mph limit. These roadways tend to flow well and allow for commercial and private traffic traveling speeds between 55 and 90 to co mingle just fine. That is until left lane campers and traffic weavers show up. Definitely one thing I despise about roadways around Dallas was these drivers.

You can stop fooling yourself into thinking you are a traffic super hero. There is a reason speed limits are enforced the way they are, excepti in the worst speed traps. Because most know the difference between speeding and reckless driving.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Yeah, its not "asinine". Your mythical world where everyone travels the same speed would also be less effective to flow than just keeping right. You apparently just lack the ability to grasp the concept because you don't trust your self beyond posted limits. Its good that you know your limits, but you can stop being vigilantedrive55 and endangering and inconveniencing others because of your incorrect assumptions.
I drive thousands of miles regulary on many roadways, some with a posted 85mph limit. These roadways tend to flow well and allow for commercial and private traffic traveling speeds between 55 and 90 to co mingle just fine. That is until left lane campers and traffic weavers show up. Definitely one thing I despise about roadways around Dallas was these drivers.

You can stop fooling yourself into thinking you are a traffic super hero. There is a reason speed limits are enforced the way they are, excepti in the worst speed traps. Because most know the difference between speeding and reckless driving.
Sorry, but it's not a matter of not trusting myself beyond posted limits. My driving training was enhanced by spending time with people who were professional and amateur race drivers (both automobile and motorcycle), who went to the Bonneville Salt Flats to break the land world speed record, whose first car was a sports car and I knew how to drive it AND how to do some repairs on it (courtesy of training by my mechanic boyfriend) - speed in and of itself is NOT an issue for me.

What I was taught by those professionals was that the most important thing to remember when driving on the public roadways (the ones with speed limits and all those other pesky laws) was that I am not the only one on the roads. That when driving with people with widely varying skill levels, degrees of experience, vehicles from wonderful to barely able to get on the roads, if I was an exceptional driver or even a relatively mediocre one it was my job to not test my limits where I would be risking not just my own life but that of others. In the days when there were no seat belts in most cars, they had seat belts in their cars and the ignition didn't get turned on until EVERYONE in the car had their seat belt fastened. They religiously signaled turns and lane changes, and they obeyed the speed limit when driving in public. (Of course, they had nothing to prove by risking other people's lives or property because they'd already tested themselves where it really counted, against other professionals.) They also didn't block the left lane, but since most people DID obey the speed limit, that was never an issue.

It's only when the police stopped enforcing the speed limit so strictly (and I've always wondered what's behind that) that left lane blocking became much of an issue at all. I can remember pickup drivers out in the boonies driving below the limit on two lane roads, but nobody on the highways at all.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:19 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,606,737 times
Quote:
Sorry, but it's not a matter of not trusting myself beyond posted limits. My driving training was enhanced by spending time with people who were professional and amateur race drivers (both automobile and motorcycle), who went to the Bonneville Salt Flats to break the land world speed record, whose first car was a sports car and I knew how to drive it AND how to do some repairs on it (courtesy of training by my mechanic boyfriend) - speed in and of itself is NOT an issue for me.

What I was taught by those professionals was that the most important thing to remember when driving on the public roadways (the ones with speed limits and all those other pesky laws) was that I am not the only one on the roads. That when driving with people with widely varying skill levels, degrees of experience, vehicles from wonderful to barely able to get on the roads, if I was an exceptional driver or even a relatively mediocre one it was my job to not test my limits where I would be risking not just my own life but that of others. In the days when there were no seat belts in most cars, they had seat belts in their cars and the ignition didn't get turned on until EVERYONE in the car had their seat belt fastened. They religiously signaled turns and lane changes, and they obeyed the speed limit when driving in public. (Of course, they had nothing to prove by risking other people's lives or property because they'd already tested themselves where it really counted, against other professionals.) They also didn't block the left lane, but since most people DID obey the speed limit, that was never an issue.

It's only when the police stopped enforcing the speed limit so strictly (and I've always wondered what's behind that) that left lane blocking became much of an issue at all. I can remember pickup drivers out in the boonies driving below the limit on two lane roads, but nobody on the highways at all.
You don't feel safe for yourself or others at any speed above posted limits, I get it and that is what I said in the first place.
The rest of your self aggrandizing post has nothing to do with what I said.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:46 PM

281 posts, read 368,454 times
Quote:
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH INTERNET POSTER BS CREDENTIALS BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH
I'm sorry, did you say something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive