Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 10:06 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times

Advertisements

We would have people come in a pay sticker... or ask to pay sticker on a car that was in demand and hard to get... didn't happen very often.

Some of the sales guy would negotiate on just about anything... buy a suit and negotiate a tie and socks as part of the deal.

Go to the Doctor and negotiate the fee for service...

It's not that people don't do this... it's just in our culture it is uncommon.

I've managed a fair amount of rental property and negotiate all the time with venders... when I wanted to upgrade all the laundry room equipment... I negotiated significant savings on buying 18 washers and 18 dryers and an extra year warranty on top of lower price.

The owner of the Dealership would walk into a bakery about a block away... and always negotiate on the end of day baked goods... he would say what can I get for $5 today and then he and the bakery owner would haggle over quantity...

Some cultures were haggle or negotiate the entire day over a $100... I've seen this on a new Porsche back when they were 20k... the buyer was in the Dealership all day and the buyer spoke Chinese and brought along a translator...

At the end of the day they were no closer... finally the Salesman said he would pay for the first service and the deal was made... the Dealership simply would not go below a certain price...

In the end... it was a win/win... the Dealer made the sale and the buyer saved face and left knowing he didn't leave money on the table.

Over the years... he brought in others and it kind of became a game... the sales manager would say he should have called ahead so he could clear his calendar... stuff like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 12:20 PM

19,053 posts, read 27,620,833 times
It's rather late to say, thread is reasonably old, but I found what I wanted online, inquired online, asked to be texted back only, then negotiated the price via texts. Sales guy saved his texts, I saved mine, we got to comfortable price, and I bought the car.
That was it.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:33 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,685,432 times
Car dealers want to be able to pressure you into buying, and they can best do that in person. Also, they're able to sell you extras if you're actually there. Warranty plans and so on. And finally, they can best ********* over on your trade in if you're there with your car and title and ready to buy.

A year or two ago one of my friends was ready to pay cash for a nice new Toyota truck. He called around and no dealer would even return his phone calls. Apparently, the Toyota dealers think they're too cool to actually talk to a customer on the phone. My friend ended up buying a Ford from a dealer who actually wanted the business.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:33 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,663,170 times
I contacted a dealer via email, and it was a mistake, he BOMBED my email box daily for a month. Even a weird video on him talking to me like I was in the room. Scary stuff!!!! We are looking for a car for my Wife now, and I shudder to think what we are in for. Im going to try to do everything we can online and only deal with the sales dept when it comes time to consumate the deal. Dont know how well that will go.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:12 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,140,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I contacted a dealer via email, and it was a mistake, he BOMBED my email box daily for a month. Even a weird video on him talking to me like I was in the room. Scary stuff!!!! We are looking for a car for my Wife now, and I shudder to think what we are in for. Im going to try to do everything we can online and only deal with the sales dept when it comes time to consumate the deal. Dont know how well that will go.

You don't have a junk email account for these kinds of situations?
If not, then get one.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:12 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,766,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
You need to convince them that you are ready to buy now, that you already know what you want (tell them you have already test driven the vehicle). Tell them you are buying today, tell them exactly what you want (model/trim/color/options), that you are soliciting offers from local dealers and the lowest price gets your business. The dealer or manufacturer's instant price quote applet works great for sending the same message to multiple dealers (albeit one at a time). [I also recommend creating a new email for this task as the dealers will spam you forever]. Some of the dealers will respond back with pricing, at that point it is time to give your closest dealer a chance to beat the best price (why travel far for the vehicle if you dont have to).
And that's exactly why dealers don't want to email pricing. Buyers are liars.

Old 09-21-2015, 04:03 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,826,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
And that's exactly why dealers don't want to email pricing. Buyers are liars.
Dealers are liars too. What's wrong with giving them a taste of their own medicine?

Old 09-21-2015, 04:12 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
It's all talk until the papers are signed and money changes hands...

Old 09-22-2015, 07:20 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,688,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Are you really that naive or inexperienced about auto purchases?
Neither. It simply never comes into my mind to "haggle" a price of a car at a lot. Perhaps a personal "bought it from Joe down the street" type purchase but buying from Hunky Dorey Auto Sales? Never. Theres a sticker, theres a price, I pay it or I choose a different car/dont buy anything.

Far as Im concerned every auto sale and every sale period is "price not negotiable"

Old 09-22-2015, 07:48 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,554,082 times
You should always negotiate, but I always find it easier to get a good deal if you find the lowest priced car that you like, and then negotiate a little bit off of that. For example, it's easier to get a $16k priced car down to $15k than it is to get a dealer to come down to $15k from a $19k price. That's what I did when I bought a Mazda in 2010. Dealer in NC wanted $19,900, dealer in NJ wanted $16k (used car with exact same specs, slightly different mileage). I asked for another thousand off, and got it. Bought a $100 one way plane ticket and picked it up. Dealer in NC didn't want to budge on price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive