Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 10:30 AM

739 posts, read 843,223 times

Advertisements

This has happened a few times already. I click on an ad on cars.com and express interest in a car. The dealer sends a reply and asks me to call. I ask what their best OTD price is. Online sales person says they will check with the finance department and get back to me. Dealer sends daily emails for the next week or two asking me to call.

Finally, dealer sends me the ORIGINAL AD (without otd price or any further information). Then sends another email the next day about wanting to speak. I don't want to call. What I want to do is for them to give me their OTD price and if I'm interested, I'll set up an appointment and THEN make the trip. I'm not driving two hours and then playing games. Or getting on the phone and giving them my # so they call me every day.

Is this a common thing and dealers don't like to do any negotiating online?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 10:37 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,574 times
Yeah, I hate when they insist on calling. Do they really think I'm going to be any more inclined to purchase just by talking to Joe Salesman? They know exactly what their bottom line is and how much they're going to give you on trade but insist on having you drive a couple hours to their lot. Then the fun begins and they lowball you and tell you what a great deal it is. You could do all that online and not have to put up with the hassle of haggling with some greasy salesman.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
Yeah, I hate when they insist on calling. Do they really think I'm going to be any more inclined to purchase just by talking to Joe Salesman? They know exactly what their bottom line is and how much they're going to give you on trade but insist on having you drive a couple hours to their lot. Then the fun begins and they lowball you and tell you what a great deal it is. You could do all that online and not have to put up with the hassle of haggling with some greasy salesman.
I'm going to stand my ground and if they want my business then they will send me an a invoice with the out the door price. If I'm going to be driving two hours, it's going to be to purchase and not to play games.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:06 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,533 times
They don't want to put anything in writing because they are afraid you'll just send that to another dealer and use it against them.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:15 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
I had the salesman negotiating with me by email until someone higher up told him that I have to go there if I want to continue. We went because we were ready to buy.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:33 AM

Another thing I found is the bait and switch. They'll put a decent car online for an unusually low price. You contact them and it's "sold" but then they try to sell you another (more expensive) car. Only reason I contacted them to begin with was for THAT car. Not to get a sales pitch on cars that I do not want.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
They don't want to put anything in writing because they are afraid you'll just send that to another dealer and use it against them.
So they're afraid that you're going to pit them against another dealer? You can go there in person and do that...but of course they try to make it difficult for you to leave. With email, they cannot play those games. That makes sense.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:45 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
NFN but if I'm a dealer I want to know who I am negotiating with. A serious buyer or a 13 YO busting balls and wasting my time.

The internet is good for price checking but serious buyers need to show up in person. IMO

Old 09-18-2015, 11:49 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Las time I bought a car (2 years ago) everything was shopped and negotiated via email. There were a couple of dealers that don't do it ... I just simply cross them off the list.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:50 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post

Yes, that's exactly what they're banking on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive