Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 11:37 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,982,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
(As for why the "gov" radiator cost $400 when the 'standard' was $125, that's a whole other kettle of fish. I couldn't see any difference between the two except the price...yet another rip-off of the taxpayers...)
Exported RHD Cherokees were re-imported into the U.S. as postal vehicles:

2000 Cherokee RHD Postal Jeep-$800 - NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association

The RHD radiators have everything reversed (Coolant in/coolant out and trans-cooler lines), and as such are rare birds hence the high price. Furthermore, they were used by Rural Mail Carriers, who are essentially contractor workers that use their own vehicles, so we as taxpayers were not footing the bill. Life is less of an outrage when you know the facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 11:44 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,106,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Exported RHD Cherokees were re-imported into the U.S. as postal vehicles:

2000 Cherokee RHD Postal Jeep-$800 - NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association

The RHD radiators have everything reversed (Coolant in/coolant out and trans-cooler lines), and as such are rare birds hence the high price. Furthermore, they were used by Rural Mail Carriers, who are essentially contractor workers that use their own vehicles, so we as taxpayers were not footing the bill. Life is less of an outrage when you know the facts.
Well done. Beat me to it.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:00 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
The best auto parts counter people used to be backyard mechanics, hobby racing drivers, and hot rodders that did all of their own work, and were very knowledgeable. They were attracted by the opportunity to do work in an industry they loved, and get discounts on parts. After about the 1980s those people have diminished, with fewer and fewer home wrench turners. Auto parts stores don't pay nearly as much as ASE certified mechanics, so unless you happen to get a retired mechanic working the counter, chances are good that the person is just looking things up in the computer. The story given by the OP is more common than not. When you find a parts house with knowledgeable help, stick with them and send your friends so they stay in business.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:13 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times
Quote:
I've purchased from RockAuto in the past and was lured by the low prices, but I learned that you have to be careful. When I did a T-100 brake upgrade to my '91 Pickup (The one ton 11" brakes from a Toyota T-100 will bolt right up to an earlier compact pickup I bought the calipers from Rock Auto because they were so cheap I didn't care about not getting the core refund (I didn't have cores to return). The passenger side caliper seized in less than 3 months. I ended up bringing the RockAuto cores to Napa and exchanging them for Napa brand calipers-they've been trouble free for over two years now .
So is that a comparison between the vendors, or the different brands the vendors sell?

If you buy a big brand caliper like Reybestos, AL Cardone, Centric, Beck/Arnley, Wager, etc etc...it's no different than if you bought that same brand at Autozone/Pep Boys/Napa. At that point it's more or less price shopping for the cheapest of that particular brand. For example, I like Raybestos brand reman calipers, and haven't had any issues with them. Even with shipping, they have been cheaper through Rockauto.com vs driving to Autozone and picking them up. Plus there is usually a 5% discount code from RA floating about.

For the most part I rarely hear anyone at a parts store get selective with brands. Most people walk in, say "I need XYZ" and the parts guy gives them one. I am VERY selective on brands. I know for the most part, RA tends to have the largest selection of brands for the cars I own, and when it comes to Ford, they even stock motorcraft parts...which I have a hard time finding at local box stores. (I think NAPA might have MC parts).

For example, if I needed a TPS sensor for my Mustang, i'd drive to Autozone and they would have several, but from brands I've never even heard of. I don't have time to waste driving around looking for a MC brand part, so I just order it online.

Not to be arrogant, but I really don't need parts knowledge from someone behind the counter. I realize a lot of time, people do...but I don't. I have a technical background and am a gearhead by nature and have been wrenching for years. I don't need to troubleshoot.....I just need to know where I can get a Bosch XYZ part for the best price.

That's why I go to RA.

But, to each his own.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
So is that a comparison between the vendors, or the different brands the vendors sell?
The brands. What I mean is that with regard to brakes for example, Napa's "store-brand" Eclipse (I think they are manufactured by Cardone) ended up being about the same price as the cheap calipers I purchased from RockAuto when you factor in shipping. Not knocking RockAuto at all, it just that sometimes there are too many choices, and some of the stuff is so low quality it's a wonder how they can justify selling it, like calipers that seize up in three months with a system full of brand new brake fluid (no moisture).

Quote:
Not to be arrogant, but I really don't need parts knowledge from someone behind the counter.
I'm not either-again the point I was trying to make is that it would be awfully frustrating to deal with someone (especially over the phone) who had literally no knowledge of what you were asking for, had no idea how to help you, and then tried to tell you what you were actually asking for, as in the case that I witnessed.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:31 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times
Quote:
I'm not either-again the point I was trying to make is that it would be awfully frustrating to deal with someone (especially over the phone) who had literally no knowledge of what you were asking for, had no idea how to help you, and then tried to tell you what you were actually asking for, as in the case that I witnessed.

Understood. I've witnessed plenty of those sorts of encounters as well.

"I need a waterpump for a 350 chevy"

"Ok what year"

"What do you mean what year? They are all the same. I just need a waterpump"

"Well they aren't all the same, I need to know year and model the engine came from"

"I don't know it. Just give me any, they are all the same it will work"

I bet he came back hours later saying the guy sold him the wrong part.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:46 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,738,816 times
I'm a staunch supporter of RockAuto.com

Their inventory and prices really can't be beat. But it can get a bit frustrating ordering multiple parts and having them come from different warehouses thus increasing the shipping, sometimes substantially. Then you have to go back and try to pick inventory from the same warehouse.

Not sure if they have the option but it would certainly help if they identified the warehouse location while you're selecting the part instead of this whole song and dance.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
"I need a waterpump for a 350 chevy"

"Ok what year"

"What do you mean what year? They are all the same. I just need a waterpump"

"Well they aren't all the same, I need to know year and model the engine came from"

"I don't know it. Just give me any, they are all the same it will work"
^^^ THIS!

I had '77 FJ-40 that I converted to rear discs using GM '80s G-body rotors (Monte Carlo, Cutlass, etc...) and EVERY TIME (this was in the late '90s before I could even order auto parts online) I had to go in and do a whole song and dance at the parts store... 1988 Monte Carlo, SS, V8, etc...

Old 10-06-2015, 03:31 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
I stopped into an AutoZone near work the other day because on my drive in I noticed I had turn signal bulb out. As I was browsing the isles I overheard a counter guy on the phone:

"Connecting bearings?"

"Connecting rod bearings?"

"Oh OK a steering rod...?"

"Wait, hold on."

Calls another clerk over...

CLERK 1: "This guy is looking for connecting rod bearings for an engine?"

CLERK 2: "Just tell him we don't carry those."

It made me appreciate my local Napa that much more...
i will never step foot in an autozoo ever again if i can help it. the last time was about 8 years ago when the alternator in my 77 olds delta 88 died. because the autozoo was closest, i stopped in there to buy one, but the store manager refused to sell me one until he tested my battery first. i told him he didnt need to test anything but the old alternator if that, but he steadfastly refused to sell me one.

i drove the the oreillys a couple miles away, walked in, bought the alternator, replaced it in the parking lot, and returned the core in about 20min. no fuss no muss, just good customer service, as opposed to autozoo who seems to be doing everything they can to kill their business.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:34 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,224,899 times
yea anyone that goes in to buy car parts needs to know:year make model engine size. If you don't know any of those you don't belong at the autoparts store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive