Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2015, 10:55 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,379,892 times

Advertisements

The big boys have eliminated the backyard mechanic and done a damn good job of it.
It just cost me 100. to "evaluate" my girlfriends car, only to be told that it needed a 100. battery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 11:35 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,998,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Know this older guy, said he hated new cars and trucks because he couldn't work on them. No points to replace himself, no carbs to rebuild himself, said he couldn't even change the oil filter because he couldn't get to it. So after years of drving these old clunkers, he finally broke down and bought himself a new truck, a 2006 Ford F150. Its a pretty basic truck, but it was new! Its almost 10 years old now, has about 160000 on the clock, and has had regular oil changes and maintenance. Ask him now his feeling about "new" cars, and you get Oh yeah, good cars, don't have to spend a lot of money working on them!!
Funny story. I always chuckle when people say that they can't work on their new car. My thought is always, why do you need to work on it? What broke? Routine maintenance has not changed over the many years in cars. They all still need their oil changed, their plugs changed, brake pads replaced, coolant flushed, filters replaced, etc. Technology hasn't really updated any of these in a REALLY long time.

Where there can be a problem is when things actually break, but I think the amount of times things do break are significantly lower with new cars versus older cars. Even then, if the part is mechanical, these haven't changed recently. Electronic parts are the problem now because they generally cannot be repaired, only replaced.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:58 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Funny story. I always chuckle when people say that they can't work on their new car. My thought is always, why do you need to work on it? What broke? Routine maintenance has not changed over the many years in cars. They all still need their oil changed, their plugs changed, brake pads replaced, coolant flushed, filters replaced, etc. Technology hasn't really updated any of these in a REALLY long time.

Where there can be a problem is when things actually break, but I think the amount of times things do break are significantly lower with new cars versus older cars. Even then, if the part is mechanical, these haven't changed recently. Electronic parts are the problem now because they generally cannot be repaired, only replaced.

Exactly. My dad used to have to be under the hood of our crappy 70's US cars every weekend it seems because something or other was broken. He lived at the auto parts store.

My Hondas have basically been oil changes and little if nothing else for many, many years. The overall quality of cars has gone way up in the last 30 years. Maybe interiors aren't as snazzy but that's because people in general want a car that runs with low maintenance more so than something to show off to their buddies that is broken down every month.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:25 PM

586 posts, read 314,890 times
Too many "features".

Old 11-12-2015, 01:57 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,737,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Know this older guy, said he hated new cars and trucks because he couldn't work on them. No points to replace himself, no carbs to rebuild himself, said he couldn't even change the oil filter because he couldn't get to it. So after years of drving these old clunkers, he finally broke down and bought himself a new truck, a 2006 Ford F150. Its a pretty basic truck, but it was new! Its almost 10 years old now, has about 160000 on the clock, and has had regular oil changes and maintenance. Ask him now his feeling about "new" cars, and you get Oh yeah, good cars, don't have to spend a lot of money working on them!!
I think that is all dependent on certain number of things, though. On my husband's 2009, some sensor stopped working and he was unable to get his key out of the ignition because the car couldn't read itself as being in park. It cost about $750 to fix that sensor so we could get the key out of the ignition. This is something where even with routine maintenance - things just happen sometimes. I am someone who enjoys my car, because it doesn't have these type of features.

My car is also 22 years old and I have spent $300 on maintenance aside from oil changes in the past year. I feel sick at the thought of getting a new car, because I cannot think of one I would want to own that would give me as much joy as I feel with my current.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:51 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,320,947 times
Chipped keys. I absolutely mean it when I say that the law should MAKE manufacturers offer the option of not having this. Copying a key should be a $2 hardware store thing, not a $125 car dealership thing.

Seatbelt alerts that won't shut the freak up. If I don't want to buckle, or my passenger, that's our business. Zip your piehole.

Seat belt anchors being lodged so deeply into the seats where you have to dig to get to them. Buckling, when I do it, should be a 1-2 second operation MAXIMUM.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:09 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,738,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Chipped keys. I absolutely mean it when I say that the law should MAKE manufacturers offer the option of not having this. Copying a key should be a $2 hardware store thing, not a $125 car dealership thing.

Seatbelt alerts that won't shut the freak up. If I don't want to buckle, or my passenger, that's our business. Zip your piehole.

Seat belt anchors being lodged so deeply into the seats where you have to dig to get to them. Buckling, when I do it, should be a 1-2 second operation MAXIMUM.
Most cars have the ability to shut off the seatbelt beep. Search your dedicated car forums for instructions. I know on my car I have to insert and remove seltbelt 12 times with in 30 seconds then press trip reset button.

As far as chipped keys. Sure they can build the same car with "standard" blank key but would probably charge you thousands more as it would probably require additional steps to remove and install new ignition system. Things wouldn't be as streamlined on the assembly line if they had all these various options.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:16 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
Yeah and if anything the law is going to regulate for more of that stuff not less.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:31 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,135,918 times
Cars today are 100% better in virtually every way to the older cars.

I think the fact that most cars do not even offer roll up windows anymore is a shame. Electric windows add weight, complexity and expense both in buying price and the inevitable repairs. If one is too lazy to roll down a window, they shouldn't be driving.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:33 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,607,072 times
I dislike too much drivers aids for manual transmission cars like hill assist or rev matching, and don't like engine stop-start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive